Against The Current
Infinity

by Get Low (The Gatekeeper of Ratings) USER (13 Reviews)
May 28th, 2018 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2014 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The singer from this band is attractive.

As someone who lives on the outskirts of town, it usually takes me about fifteen minutes to drive to most of my frequent destinations. I always want to listen to music in my car, but I dislike not being able to listen to an album in one sitting. The combination of these things is how I came to develop my preference for Against the Current's first EP, Infinity. Clocking in at just sixteen minutes, this little plum of pop-rock is perfect listening for my short drives.

Infinity consists of five songs that are lively, fun, and easy to sing along to after a few listens. Chrissy's vocals are both charming and feisty, and made distinctive by her New York accent. She creates catchy vocal melodies overtop of the music with apparent ease, through lyrics that mostly deal with the angst and complications of young love. Instrumentally, for a band that skirts on the line between pop-punk and pop-rock, Daniel and William (as well as the other musicians on this album who are mysteriously not a part of the band) do their jobs well, which is to make upbeat but unimposing rhythms to be sung over. There are a few instances when the instruments shine though, most notably on the track Another You (Another Way), which is heavily driven by the keyboardist.

I want to emphasize that this EP does not relent in terms of energy. As of the time I'm writing this review, Against the Current has gradually moved into a less rock-oriented direction, with each of their subsequent releases containing a ballad or two, and recent singles that hint at a full emersion into the realm of pop. This is not the case with Infinity. This EP keeps up the tempo all the way through to the finish, when I'm singing along to the last minute or two of Closer, Faster in my car, even if I've already reached my destination.

World's End Girlfriend MEGURII Set My Friends On Fire Astral Rejection (OG)
Soundtrack (Video Game) Sonic R Original SoundtrackCherri Bomb Stark
Uffie Tokyo Love HotelSnow Tha Product Half Way There...Pt. 1

May 28th 2018

This is my first review. I wanted to show Against the Current some love.

Darius the Great

20919 Comments

lol @ summary

Seriously, congrats on your first rev! A bit on the skeletal side but I imagine there's not that much more to be said about this album.

May 28th 2018

Thanks, man! I'm a bit of a minimalistic writer anyway, but I did my best to give this thing justice.

Divaman
May 28th 2018

Nice review, good band. Glad to see them get some positive press.

Digging: Melanie Martinez - K-12

May 28th 2018

Thanks, man. They deserve all the love.

Good review babe

May 29th 2018

ty bb

June 4th 2018

Wow, Divaman. You lowered the average one fiddlywink. :'(

February 5th 2019

Pretty sure I've listened to this at least a hundred times in the past year.

Rating bumped from a 3.5 to a 5

sir

July 26th 2019

I've decided to stop rating strictly off of musical merit. Yeah this EP is nothing more than fun and silly pop-rock, but I've listened to it almost every day since I discovered it, so there's no reason for me not to have it 5'd anymore.

nice