Shô!
Shô!

by Ben CONTRIBUTOR (23 Reviews)
May 25th, 2018 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hey man, slow down

There’s something particularly pleasing about Shô!’s aloof approach to songwriting. Whilst by no means encroaching on free jazz territory, the group capture the genre’s spirit nicely, toying around with space and momentum with a certain whimsy. The tunes here are warm and almost bashful, the playing tentative and reserved. Keys and guitars shuffle along, unsure of themselves. Occasionally songs build and blossom, hurriedly so, swiftly falling back into relative silence, eyes to the floor. Lively motifs fade in and out of focus, the intertwined trilogies of ‘Just a Beginning’ and ‘Spatial Night’ toing and froing, dancing playfully around one another. The breezy record is quite hard to pin down, undeniably jazzy (just feel those drums tip and tap away on ‘Cloud Drummer’) but with an ambient flair and curious eclecticism to it. Whatever the case, its loosely structured components coalesce quite beautifully. ‘Disarming’ might be a good descriptor, for I’m lulled into a refreshingly carefree headspace on most listens. Through careful pacing and an artful use of colour, I find my mind drifting to a sunset grazed by faint pink-golden smoke trails, or maybe a gentle stream. I relax - breathe in, exhale. It’s bliss.

Ray Lynch Deep BreakfastEND (NJ) Splinters From An Ever-Changing Face
Car Seat Headrest Making a Door Less OpenAdmiral Angry A Fire To Burn Down The World
Mount Eerie Lost Wisdom, Pt. 2Horse Lords The Common Task

May 25th 2018

I did a thing. A short thing. cc welcome.

TheSpaceMan
May 25th 2018

short and sweet, good to have you back reviewing

Conmaniac
May 25th 2018

yesss love ya ben, great lil zinger ya got here.

May 25th 2018

cheers friendos, both of whom I owe proof read / edit creds.

also: https://sho1.bandcamp.com/album/sh

neat little record, clocks in just under 30 mins and its an extraordinarily easy listen

Conmaniac
May 25th 2018

sounds delish, i’ll have to check soon

May 26th 2018

Well look at this pretty little review. Very succinct and descriptive, pos'd.

Digging: Bob Dylan - Rough and Rowdy Ways

BlushfulHippocrene
May 26th 2018

Amazing, Ben... I don't know what you've been doing, but your writing has improved so much. I love this. So, so good.

Digging: Pay For Pain - Pay For Pain

May 27th 2018

Cheers guys, especially blush, that means alot

neekafat