Shô!

by Ben USER (15 Reviews)
May 25th, 2018 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hey man, slow down

There’s something particularly pleasing about Shô!’s aloof approach to songwriting. Whilst by no means encroaching on free jazz territory, the group capture the genre’s spirit nicely, toying around with space and momentum with a certain whimsy. The tunes here are warm and almost bashful, the playing tentative and reserved. Keys and guitars shuffle along, unsure of themselves. Occasionally songs build and blossom, hurriedly so, swiftly falling back into relative silence, eyes to the floor. Lively motifs fade in and out of focus, the intertwined trilogies of ‘Just a Beginning’ and ‘Spatial Night’ toing and froing, dancing playfully around one another. The breezy record is quite hard to pin down, undeniably jazzy (just feel those drums tip and tap away on ‘Cloud Drummer’) but with an ambient flair and curious eclecticism to it. Whatever the case, its loosely structured components coalesce quite beautifully. ‘Disarming’ might be a good descriptor, for I’m lulled into a refreshingly carefree headspace on most listens. Through careful pacing and an artful use of colour, I find my mind drifting to a sunset grazed by faint pink-golden smoke trails, or maybe a gentle stream. I relax - breathe in, exhale. It’s bliss.