A Beacon School
Cola

by Claire Q. STAFF
May 22nd, 2018 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “It’s good to have a tether.”

“So much for feeling grounded.” There was an irony in how this line from “It’s Late” met with my perception of Cola: that, contrary to what its dream pop classification would suggest, the album feels grounded, sober even, in its loops, steady pulses, and gentle strumming. But this characteristic isn’t to be regretted -- the six-minute opus of “It’s Late”, with its trance-like beat and constantly hovering synthesizers, is reassuring solidity. Any haze and reverb on Cola warms, but does not confuse or obfuscate; and repetition, as used by “It’s Late”, does not hypnotize so much as remind us of the foundation that we stand on.

The other major aspect of Cola is its contentment, containing a certain acceptance of restlessness. The album rests in an easy coexistence between less structured vignettes (i.e. “Heat Wave” and “Hum”) and its more patiently evolving songs. There exists a contrast between the upbeat and the contemplative, one that becomes more notable after you notice that the songs exemplifying the former (“I Don’t Believe It”, “Stay Away”) flow into those of the latter (“It’s Late”, “Ash”). It’s one of the reasons why I would hesitate to describe this album as joyful, or representing some form of unbridled happiness; for instance, “Ash” evokes for me weariness, but specifically the pleasant kind that only hard-earned accomplishment can engender. Of course, contentment isn’t qualified happiness, but something more complete; indeed, the effervescence of “Stay Away” is made more meaningful by “Ash” and its restraint.

Lyrically, Cola is cryptic, but I’m convinced that ambiguity is secondary to the merits of the album. When I reached the conclusion that Cola embodied contentment, it was because I could perceive the various parts that were integrated, peaceful and chaotic; ambiguity would have sought to conceal, to leave us wondering about what we were feeling in the way that a half-forgotten dream would have. Cola feels too concrete to be in the realm of dreams and instability; it grounds me where I am for the better.

Blessed (CAN) SaltMiserere Luminis Miserere Luminis
Existe Vivre et Laisser MourirMilanku Monument du non​-​être...
Portrayal of Guilt Let Pain Be Your GuideEntheos (CAN) Le Zahir

verdant
May 21st 2018

interesting perspective, well argued. cheers

clavier
May 21st 2018

thanks abe and jack, this album was honestly a struggle to review - contrary to what I've said, I do think it does lend itself to multiple interpretations

May 22nd 2018

Review is superbly written. I'm not big on shoegaze but I like how you make this sound, might have to give it a go.

Digging: Tyler, the Creator - Igor

Winesburgohio
May 22nd 2018

its late is song of the year probz

what i love about ur reviews is i can have a completely different opinion and read a thoughtful, well-articulated counterpoint and integrate that into the album and that is cool owo

Digging: Flying Lotus - Flamagra

May 22nd 2018

This isn't really that shoegazy tbh. Dream Pop with mathy composition is where it stands.

Poxy

Right click, synonyms.

May 22nd 2018

This is good. This review captures a lot of what I felt with the album, but in a different way? The first time I heard this it felt very dream-like, but the second time it was more like a lucid dream with full control. I don't know. I get what you mean about it feeling both upbeat and contemplative. A nice mix.

Digging: Rusted Shut - Rehab

May 22nd 2018

if "It's Late" isn't track of the year, I don't know what to believe.

BlushfulHippocrene
May 22nd 2018

I feel very similarly about it seeming sober. "“Ash” evokes for me weariness, but specifically the pleasant kind that only hard-earned accomplishment can engender" -- big, big agree, and very great piece of writing.

Digging: Injury Reserve - Injury Reserve

granitenotebook
May 22nd 2018

i love your ability to write something without overstating it - you say what you mean, and communicate ideas very clearly.

May 22nd 2018

Solid review, the conclusion is dope

Digging: Kurt Travis - There's a Place I Want to Take You

Wow this rules

Conmaniac
May 23rd 2018

downloading this as we speak, good stuff Claire! good to see ya around n still reviewing

May 23rd 2018

Damn, only 14 ratings. This needs some attention.

Conmaniac
May 23rd 2018

ill change that in a sec dw

TheWrenKing

first 3 tracks r gr8 ! can't recall the rest :/

May 23rd 2018

Strange. I prefer the back half.

May 23rd 2018

I could not stop listening to this last night

May 25th 2018

Bumped my rating. Shit owns.