DJ Koze
knock knock

by house cat STAFF
May 6th, 2018 | 43 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "One day I'll simply close my eyes and nothing happened."

Modern art 101: No -- sorry -- not even, more like modern art 100: Absurdism. An art style and school of thought caught in the halfway point between man’s desire to find purpose and our apparent inability to actually do so. From this disjunct arises the necessity to mine humour from the glistening nothingness, to laugh at Sisyphus from the sidelines. Naturally, absurdist artforms find some overlap with the surreal: Dadaist Marcel Duchamp’s “L.H.O.O.Q” is just the Mona Lisa with a pencilled-in beard and moustache, and Dali’s “The Persistence of Memory” takes the generally accepted parameters of time and suspends them in a place where universal laws have, it seems, taken the day off. Both works, and indeed the sea of similar pieces also taken by the tide, illustrate the absurdities in generally accepted truth. The artists are laughing at this notion. DJ Koze is laughing on Knock Knock.

The record isn’t immediately absurd, but rather keeps its composure and subtly turns convention on its head with a smile. Sultry, smooth vocal samples and features are dotted across the piece: Roisin Murphy’s stints on both Illumination and Scratch That are so effortless and velvety (her delivery coils itself slowly around the house-flavoured beats, and they both seem to pulse together by a fireplace somewhere) that you’d be forgiven for not noticing the way the lyrics illustrate different planes of existence eerily similar to ours. In Bonfire, Justin Vernon’s teeth-chattering falsetto is filtered through rose-tinted reverb effects, as though For Emma could have been recorded in the Mojave Tent at Coachella. It’s in the way these techniques are employed -- the wild pitch-shift of the sample in Lord Knows, the recontextualization of the aforementioned Vernon sample -- that Koze messes with our perception. Meaning skewed, or in fact lost completely, within swathes of rich colour.

And about that colour: it’s a lovely palette. I feel like this is what a chorus of lava lamps would sound like if lava lamps could, y’know, sing. Knock Knock is Stefan Kozalla’s mosaic of oddball images. Club Der Ewigkeiten is like a symphonic movement playing in reverse, and Colors of Autumn evokes an intense argument between a couple where both parties are, for some reason, smiling the entire time, smoke seething through the gaps in glistening white teeth. Koze ekes out these images through juxtaposition -- pitting deeply fraught experiences against a backdrop of sunny maj7 chords and warm, crackling synths. It’s what drew me to Koze in the first place; Amygdala’s ‘Homesick’ managed to imbue the unending grey with an airy optimism filtered through a prism of the producer’s melodic sensibility.

Or, whatever, I think all of Koze’s work is crafted with this optimism in mind. The man has a wry and unusual sense of humour, which is coupled with a tendency to undermine the mellifluousness of his style; though not in a way that suggests something malevolent hiding behind the veneer, but rather it proves he doesn’t take himself seriously. Like Duchamp before him (a man whose most famous piece is, quite literally, a urinal), it makes sense to infer that Koze is repurposing sounds for different responses in the listener, making the tapestries woven here seem both foreign and inviting at the same time. In Muddy Funster, Lambchop’s Kurt Wagner (and us, vicariously) is floating in space -- an infinite unspooling of nothing -- and yet the listener is directed to the one, infinitesimal spot that he occupies. The background is muted; gorgeous and lush, certainly, but existing only as accompaniment to Wagner’s autotuned crooning. Without vocals, the instrumental is intangible and alien. With them, it’s introspective, comforting.

Elsewhere it reads like Knock Knock’s hidden motive/motif is to challenge what the listener perceives as ‘absurd’ versus what they perceive to be normal. Music On My Teeth briefly alludes to the potential malleability of time (”…and not a physical reality”) and by this point I realise I’ve taken plenty to recognise the irony in the fact that my analysis of what this album means is inherently contradicting the analysis itself. But that’s okay: Koze, as the resident puppetmaster, created this album as a belief system to fall back on in the absence of faith. Knock Knock is a techno/house gospel, and it’s grandiose in its presentation but intimate enough to exist solely unto you. There’s a lot going on. Sweeping synths, buttery bass, a coterie of seraphic voices, and seductive grooves all link up in a daisy chain as though everyone involved in the project is coming to the same realisation at the same time:

Life is meaningless and weird as hell. Build your home in the chaos and enjoy the experience when the chaos inevitably tears your home apart.

Horror My Friend Home LifeMitski Be the Cowboy
Nostrum Grocers Nostrum GrocersCuntz Here Come the Real Boys...Live in the USA
DJ Healer Nothing 2 LooseLUMP (UK) LUMP

verdant
May 6th 2018

i love koze, i love blush, this record is mighty lush

Mentasm
May 6th 2018

Ugh this fucking record, man. Loved his samples on this. Really suited his brand of lush and colorful psychedelic house. Pure E, this one.

luci
May 6th 2018

nice writeup. album is easygoing and very listenable, has a similar vibe to wildflower

DoofusWainwright

20003 Comments

Prob got a bonus .5 for Lambchop association

This is nice and I agree with Lucid, a bit like 'Wildflower' [doof 3.5 rating...] - it's just there really, it doesn't demand your attention.

May 6th 2018

yesssss! love the review. album is sublime, koze is the coolest in the biz, etc etc

Digging: Shinichi Atobe - Heat

This is so damn good

rodrigo90
May 6th 2018

HEEY who erased my comment?

Cifirni
May 6th 2018

Doofy you gave wildflower a 3.5? On this site that’s fantastic. The only thing that’s 4.0 is death metal!

SandwichBubble

Alright, going in blind

Digging: Skoal Kodiak - Three People Are Keep Having Grape Emergencys

May 6th 2018

fakkk, Jesus is such a jam. His samples on this are spot on

May 7th 2018

What are your favourites? I'm really digging pick up, baby,illumination, and jesus.

verdant

Muddy Funster EZ

May 7th 2018

Yes, forgot that one. I love the distorted vocals. Might up my rating, album is so much fun

luci
May 7th 2018

A record that reveals its treasures slowly. Took about 6 listens but I'm in love now.

TheWrenKing

aaaAhHahhwHah

this is gonna DOMinate my summer listening

and life

plane
May 7th 2018

Jack, this review was a delightful read, and a perfect sell for this record. Amygdala was a pleasing enough listen in 2013 that never left my side, and one day I looked up and found it was one of my all-time favorites. One can never quantify an album's future worth, especially when it's so immediately a charmer, but damnit I fucking love this shit

May 7th 2018

I often rate albums highly based on their immediacy. Knee-jerk reactions usually end up having the least staying power, but after 5 spins, I'm only uncovering more with each play. Pretty sure this one's a keeper. Every song's a jam; not a single one I skip when replaying.

May 7th 2018

the koze trajectory: 1) "yes this is nice and pleasant," to 2) "hmmmm been replaying this a lot lately," to, suddenly, 3) "my heart will explode without this"

Zeneren
May 8th 2018

Only just prefer the psychedelic vibes of Amygdala but my god if this isn't such a beautifully refined 2018 album. All the features fit so well, aside from Bonfire which I don't dig as much.

Can't think of anyone in electronic music who should be more eminent right now.

Digging: Eli Keszler - Stadium

May 8th 2018

Agreed hard with all of that. This album should get BNM. Staff are slippin'