Bong
Thought and Existence

by insomniac15 STAFF
May 4th, 2018 | 13 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Soundtrack for blunt puffing…

From the first listen, you can tell Bong’s music is not for everyone. The repetition that becomes half of their magic can easily turn a vast majority of the listeners’ interest off. You definitely need a certain mood to immerse yourself in their world, still, if you find that sweet spot, there’s a whole journey to discover. All the chants, Eastern elements accompanying the trudging riffs create a mesmerizing atmosphere that stoner doom/psychedelic fans will love most. Featuring the infinite distortion of Sunn O))), heaviness of Electric Wizard and some of the mysticism Om portray around their releases, the Newcastle trio created a niche of their own. Sometimes it clicks (Mana Yood Sushai, Idle Days On the Yann or even We Are, We Were and We Will Have Been), sometimes there was too much weed involved (Stoner Rock or Bethmoora), yet you can’t deny these guys’ devotion to get their point across.

Luckily for us, the latest LP, Thought and Existence boasts a focused production which brings to the table their strengths. As per usual, there are only two tracks, each exploring its own path. ‘The Golden Fields’ is a brooding monster, starting with some thrilling sound scapes that give way to the slow, fuzz drenched main riff. The pounding drums perform a tom-heavy pattern for minutes on end, whereas the guitar and bass gradually unfold. There’s a progression there, still everything moves at snail’s pace. During the second half of the song, chants play alongside the scorching riffage, crafting this ancient-meets-modern vibe (think of it as Om with guitars). Meanwhile, on the second epic, 'Tlön Uqbar Orbis Tertius', Bong kept things pretty straightforward, looping the same segment. The first 8 minutes or so leave the guitars in front with eerie leads, however, halfway, the beat changes slightly and the bass becomes heavier. The tempo drops with each minute, until feedback finds its way through. It’s a small sonic change, but it does matter in this case. Plus, I have to say I was not bored by all this repetition. Then again, this record is not one you can listen to at any hour of the day. To be honest, it’s better to keep it for when you’re in an altered state, so you can truly enjoy it. Also, blast it really loud, it makes a difference.

Yawning Man The Revolt Against Tired NoisesYOB Our Raw Heart
Chihei Hatakeyama Butterfly's Summer and VanishedChurch of the Cosmic Skull Science Fiction
God Is an Astronaut EpitaphMidas Fall Evaporate

May 4th 2018

Not a groundbreaking album, just an enjoyable one.

Stream/buy it here - http://ritualproductions.bandcamp.com/album/thought-and-existence-2

'The Golden Fields' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDy4aSC-GD8

Digging: Xiu Xiu - Forget

smaugman

What the frick?

BREAKDOWNS
May 4th 2018

well, i do like some blunt puffing

Spec
May 4th 2018

Alright let’s check this.

SomeGuyDude
May 4th 2018

It's a damn good week for sludge/stoner music.

brainmelter
May 5th 2018

meth rock bong rip straight to the dome

Digging: Basalte - Vertige

May 5th 2018

Yup, some great releases lately.

May 5th 2018

any recs similar? always looking for more psych/heavy drone stoner metal with that gregoric-esque/om style chanting.

Digging: Cult of Occult - ANTI LIFE

May 5th 2018

also: Mana-Yood-Sushai sent my ass to space, checking this now.

Negator
May 5th 2018

Mana-Yood-Sushai is a classic in my book so im def gonna check this one

May 6th 2018

@kevbogz - Listen to Zaum - Oracles or Eidolon (they pretty much took Om's thing into a more psychedelic route). Also, Master Musicians of Bukkake have a pretty crazy discography. Listen to their stuff too. Wyatt E. are nice too

May 6th 2018

awesome, will check out. much appreciated

ZippaThaRippa
May 9th 2018

You puff blunts to a band named "bong." What are you, some kind of rebel?