Kylie Minogue
Fever

by gryndstone USER (15 Reviews)
May 1st, 2018 | 62 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kylie creates the dance-pop record of the new millennium.

There’s something so uniquely sleek about Fever. Maybe I haven’t listened to enough from the time period, but this early 00’s dance record oozes the essence of cool. Like a virus, Fever’s groove grabs you from the start and doesn’t let go until the beat stops. Kylie’s trademark disco sound has transformed over the decades, and on Fever she utilizes an array of songwriters and producers to perfect that sound into one of the catchiest pop records of the new millenium.

Ok, straight up, the first three songs on this thing are all bangers. "More More More" has a groovy bassline that kicks serious ass over Kylie’s smooth, sleek vocals. It’s a perfect introduction in terms of what to expect from the rest of the album. This is followed by the one-two punch of classic singles, “Love At First Sight” and “Can’t Get You Out Of My Head”. The former is saccharine sweet, with twinkling strings and a blissful chorus that emulates the feeling of its title. The latter is more menacing, defined by an off-beat synth and constant hooks.

Fever is definitely a product of its time, but there’s not much wrong with that. "Fragile" borders on a euro-pop trance sound, laced with occasional guitar chords that sound heavenly over gentle vocals that come close to whispering. "Come Into My World" gives off the same vibe, with the same synth that "Can’t Get You Out Of My Head" uses. Alternatively, ‘Dancefloor’ goes for the tried-and-true disco approach, violins and organ synths in harmony over a Kylie that wants to just cut loose.

Fever's only downside is that even for its smorgasbord of producers, it can sound kind of repetitive. Those first three tracks that are certified bangers? Almost all of the other tracks could be described as lesser versions of them. There are exceptions (Give It To Me, Burning Up), but on a front to back listen, it all starts sounding familiar too fast. This doesn’t make the songs bad (except for Give It To Me, which sounds unfinished) - all of these songs have been cleanly produced and Kylie has an amazing voice that fits perfectly with Fever’s take on dance-pop.

Ultimately, Fever is an essential record for pop fans, club music fans, and anyone that’s ever heard a Kylie Minogue song they’ve liked. With classic singles and very little filler, Fever goes down easy. But with the amount of hooks packed into these dozen songs, don’t be surprised if you find yourself coming back to infectious choruses and sickeningly good grooves.

Shiny Toy Guns We Are PilotsThe Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. (The Energy Never Dies)
The Go! Team Proof of YouthKero Kero Bonito Time 'n' Place
Taylor Swift ReputationMatt and Kim We Were the Weirdos

May 1st 2018

OMG this has a review, my prayers have been answered

Yeah this album is epic as fuck. Summary is not that far off tbh.

Digging: Sewerslvt - Draining Love Story

robertsona
May 2nd 2018

I should have already listened to this but shamefully I haven't. those two singles are some of the best ever though

gryndstone
May 2nd 2018

They really are. Fever is definitely essential Kylie, so give it a listen if you can

May 2nd 2018

Why the fuck ain't this getting any attention

Cygnatti

wow finally

Digging: Sewerslvt - Draining Love Story

brandontaylor
May 6th 2018

this is still my fave kylie album out of the ones ive heard so far, those singles are just untouchable and love at first sight has to be one of the top 10 pop songs of all time

September 2nd 2018

Ya this is the shit. Took the borderline-cheesy disco thing of Light Years and made an early '00s classic out of it

Haven't heard all her albums but this & Body Language are my favorites of what I have heard

Darius the Great
September 2nd 2018

fucking love can't get you out of my head

And the vid for Love At First Sight is so damn positive

Tunaboy45

god Can't Get You Out of My Head was fucking massive back when

Digging: Kero Kero Bonito - Time 'n' Place

September 2nd 2018

Great song tho not one of my favs on here

September 2nd 2018

Yeah same, I never got into that one as much either

October 13th 2018

For giving KM some well deserved attention? haha

Hawks
October 19th 2018

I will never get over Kylie Menogue idk if I could even jam this without thinking of Desdi.

what

October 20th 2018

nice dig

Coast
October 20th 2018

I'm lucky it's good as it has to be a perma dig.

October 21st 2018

People age, imagine that!

October 21st 2018

It's called still loving what you do and looking/sounding good despite an arbitrary number and douche bags on the internet