Grouper
Grid of Points

by owl beanie STAFF
April 27th, 2018 | 148 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: dropping the dead deer at the top of the hill and descending

For most, Liz Harris’ hill is lush, isolated, and one we listeners are willing to die on. She’s never changed the basic formula -- one she’s maintained since her eponymous 2005 EP -- out of, I think, necessity; one that illuminates Grouper’s ambient-folk journal as the thing that speaks to the spaces in between. Harris, through dabbling in the ethereal, positioning the dream world so close to the mundane, has landed herself in a rather auspicious spot: her aesthetic, as lovely and incorporeal as it is, is coveted no matter the iteration. Switch out your haunting guitars for your gorgeous lilting piano phrases all you want; as long as you still evoke solitude, the tempering of the outside world, spectral beauty -- we’ll remain on good terms. So what do we as fans expect, going into Grid of Points"

I think I expected more.

I don’t mean to undersell this thing: It’s more Grouper, more seraphic whispering choirs, more formless and nebulous piano songs about “emotional garbage” that send shivers up your spine. It’s also only twenty-one minutes long and scant on melody, beckoning patience that I may not have afforded if I hadn’t felt the weight of Grouper’s reputation as I listened.

But, when all’s both said and done, one’s patience is rewarded. Grid of Points is a shadow stitched to Liz Harris’ body of work, not least because it feels, at first, like a reduction of her former self. It’s pithy and monochromatic, forcing the listener to pay the closest attention to every movement. Every harmony is a different shade of grey, and this record does yield some of her loveliest harmonies. Parking Lot ripples with tape echo, and resultingly, the vocal layers bleed indistinguishably into each other, like Harris alone forms the world’s most resigned, listless chorus. Much the same, her sparse piano work mirrors her vocal melodies -- restrained, but unafraid of the occasional flourish when the song’s parameters permit such wiggle room.

(Birthday Song for example, reaches up into -- for my memory -- unprecedentedly high-pitched territories, making for a rare lucid passage which plays the foil to Harris’ ever-nebulous, hazy vocals.)

To address the elephant in the room: this is not, contrary to initial inspection, Ruins-lite. Where Ruins documented Liz living in the ruins (go figure) of past lives, past relationships, Grid of Points has her gently exploring new locations – ones that aren’t marked by a state of disrepair. It is, I think, the reason this album is so ephemeral; despite its slow burn, one gets the sense that the record is moving from place to place, filling empty spaces with its spirit before departing. Breathing is the most conclusive song in Grouper’s discography, consumed halfway through by the sound of a train passing as if to bookmark the end of a particular chapter set in the debris of your old home. Given the circumstances, it’s perfect – crystallising Grid of Points as an important stopover, one that eternalises and suspends a moment in time. Quite like a tattoo, in fact (RIP Aljezur: 2014 – 2018).

So what now do I expect of Grouper" I expect my expectations to be subverted, and my isolation to feel lived in.

Sleep Talk Everything in ColourStella Donnelly Beware Of The Dogs
Sharon Van Etten Remind Me TomorrowDrug Church CHEER
colourblind Move Like YouHorror My Friend Home Life
Winesburgohio STAFF (4.5)
softly as you leave her...

verdant
April 27th 2018

day has been defined by the grid

hal1ax
April 27th 2018

i almost feel like i'm sort of left out of the circle on this one. like there's some snapshot of her life that liz is trying to cryptically convey here and i'm just not getting it this time around. still sounds good tho lol.

hal1ax
April 27th 2018

also nice review as per typical

YakNips

19699 Comments

good review

good album

stay tuned for more hot takes

dbizzles
April 27th 2018

Wonderful review. Hoping to listen to this over the weekend. Have only heard Dead Deer, but it was a nice (maybe the wrong word) listen.

Digging: Sanction (NY) - The Infringement of God's Plan

JustJoe.
April 27th 2018

Elizabeth Harris is the best.

ramon.
April 27th 2018

lovely review u lil cutie u

luci
April 27th 2018

"i almost feel like i'm sort of left out of the circle on this one"
reading the p4k interview did wonders to helping me understand this record

rabidfish
April 27th 2018

she keeps making great stuff but i dunno... This kinda felt too short and unambitious to me, more like an EP. Not that it needs to be ambitious, just felt like this went by without much to say about it other than 'that was nice'.

Digging: Billy Woods, Kenny Segal - Hiding Places

brainmelter
April 27th 2018

sweet, need to get on this

Digging: Vothana - B?n Tuyn Ngn -Demo V

Spacesh1p

who is landdiving

TheBarber

ah yiss

Digging: Ataraxie - Rsigns

Dewinged
April 27th 2018

Shite, can't jam this today but great read as always Jack, and nice to see the generally posi reactions.

Digging: Full of Hell - Weeping Choir

guitarded_chuck
April 27th 2018

grouper i hardly know her

Darius the Great

20452 Comments

lmao chuck

calmrose

lovely album

Digging: At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command

theBoneyKing
April 27th 2018

Checked out Dragging a Dead Dear and Ruins recently and they’re both lovely, looking forward to jamming this.

Digging: The National - I Am Easy to Find

Tyler.
April 27th 2018

i dont have time to listen to all of this music can we slow down please

Tyler.

this is only 21 minutes what the fuck

luci
April 27th 2018

this isn't an album you take in while browsing online and messing around. listen to it with no distractions, makes a big difference.