Demons and Wizards
Demons & Wizards

by houseofclousemusic USER (14 Reviews)
April 22nd, 2018 | 2 replies

Release Date: 2000 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Demons and Wizards is an awesome collaboration between Hansi Kürsch and Jon Schaffer that resulted in a fantastic debut album featuring great songwriting elements from Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

Lineup:
Hansi Kürsch - vocals
Jon Schaffer – rhythm and lead guitars, bass
Jim Morris - lead guitar
Mark Prator - drums

Genre:
Power metal

Background:
Have you ever wondered what would happen if you took power metal legends Iced Earth and Blind Guardian and meshed them together" Well, look no further than Demons and Wizards which is the project of Hansi Kürsch (lead singer of Blind Guardian) and Jon Schaffer (rhythm guitarist and main songwriter for Iced Earth). The band has a classic power metal sound that combines the vocal style of Blind Guardian and the guitar work of Iced Earth. ‘Demons & Wizards’ is the band’s self-titled debut.

Performance:
I really enjoy all of the performances on this album. Hansi gives a fantastic vocal performance and Schaffer and Jim Morris both sound fantastic on the guitars. Mark Prator gives a very satisfactory performance on the drums as well.
Rating: Great

Songwriting:
There is a nice balance between Blind Guardian’s melodious choruses and Iced Earth’s rhythm sections in this band. It makes for a very nice sound that takes the best elements of both bands. Although at times the songs can get a little repetitive, I still enjoy the songwriting on the album as a whole.
Rating: Good

Creativity:
This album has a good amount of creativity in it, but the fact that it sounds very similar to both Blind Guardian and Iced Earth makes it somewhat lacking in the originality department. Despite this, I believe that this album still has plenty of great ideas and Demons and Wizards execute these ideas well throughout the run-time of the album.
Rating: Good

Production:
This album sounds fantastic. The vocals are at a perfect volume to where they are powerful but they manage to not overpower the instruments on the album. I really love the overall sound quality of the whole album. It is a very well executed production style for an epic power metal album.
Rating: Great

Highlights:
“My Last Sunrise”
“Heaven Denies”
“Fiddler on the Green”
“Winter of Souls”
“Gallows Pole”

Verdict:
‘Demons & Wizards’ is a great album, especially for a debut. The combination of the melodic elements of Blind Guardian and the heavier elements of Iced Earth work well together on this album. The performances are all fantastic and the songwriting is also very good. To top it all off, ‘Demons & Wizards’ has terrific production value that makes the songwriting even more impactful.

Overall Rating: Good