Remo Drive
Pop Music

by neekafat CONTRIBUTOR (57 Reviews)
April 20th, 2018 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: They aren't kidding.

In the past, I've postulated that pop punk might be the least punk of all genres. Assuming punk is based on ideas of anti-conformity and subverting expectations, pop punk is even less punk than pure pop. While pop at least changes with time by definition, pop punk is marred by a refusal to deviate from it's established sound for the last 20 years.

In their debut album Greatest Hits, I found Remo Drive guilty of many of these same faults, displaying fun riffs and angsty lyrics, but was painfully uninventive music wise (save perhaps for the bridge of Yer Killing Me). That’s not to say their debut wasn’t enjoyable or that there was nothing to admire, there was just nothing to bring me back that I couldn’t find in a million other similar-sounding albums.

If anything Pop Music just proved my hypothesis. In straying closer to their pop influences, it seems that they've found more cause to be sonically adventurous, and it shows. Rather than meddling in sound over and over again, there’s a sense of diversity across these three tracks that wasn’t present at all in their full record. There are bright, candy-coated riffs that don’t even pretend to be punk in the slightest; they’d rather just sound fun than feign self-importance. There are fun vocal melodies and instrumental passages that take precedent over them when necessary. Nothing seems as predictable as it might; nothing sounds just like what we’ve heard before. And if that lack of tiresome repetition stems only from the short runtime, then maybe Remo Drive should just stick to EPs from now on. This is the perfect length to fulfill my attention span without them boring me.

The name Pop Music reeks of the same snark that was featured on their previous album title, and yet this one seems to have been chosen with no great sense of irony. For better or for worse, this is pop music and— actually, come to think of it, no. It is for the better.

The Curls Bounce HouseMariee Sioux Grief in Exile
Cage The Elephant Social CuesGlen Hansard This Wild Willing
Nilufer Yanya Miss UniverseSolange When I Get Home
3.1
good

April 20th 2018

I did this thing instead of more important things so it might be a bit hasty

Feedback very much appreciated c:

suppatime
April 20th 2018

nice review, definitely prefer this over the debut as well which is an unpopular opinion lol

Conmaniac

ayyy my boi neeka
dis prob a 3.5 ya

Thanks dude!

Yeah maybe it's just how easily digestible it is but the songs just bang harder for me as well

impoppy
April 20th 2018

"they’d rather just sound fun then feign self-importance"

then should be than. Minus that great review.

April 20th 2018

eyyyy cheers Con miss ya! How ya been?

@poppy thanks, cleared that up + added unnecessary semicolon

Papa Universe

remo drive - POS music

AdolfChrist

uhh, g-good one.

Digging: Vulture (DE) - Ghastly Waves & Battered Graves

BlushfulHippocrene
April 20th 2018

Feels like ages, Neeka, school keeping you busy? I disagree, but this is really nicely written -- wish I could put together something as tight.

AdolfChrist
April 20th 2018

The music video for Blue Ribbon is fun.

LethalPaintball
April 20th 2018

feeling a little underwhelmed by this one

butcherboy
April 20th 2018

band's not my thing, but review is great neeks!!

onionbubs
April 20th 2018

heartstrings is soooo good. I need another album of this shit

good review

Digging: Anberlin - Devotion

Feather
April 20th 2018

Great review, saw these guys live and it was a blast

ZombieToyDuck
April 20th 2018

sweet review man, threw a pos your way! I definitely liked this one as well. Didn't own up to Greatest Hits for me personally, but I do agree the experimentation with their sound is nice and I hope for a diverse album in the works with more of the chance taking.

AsleepInTheBack
April 20th 2018

One of your best, neek. Top work. Love your first para and general thesis; I certainly agree. Will give this a whirl.

Thanks so much everyone!

@Blush yeah, school has been crazy but I'm hoping to make a list of what films I've been up to soon!

@butch appreciate it, nemesis (;

@zombie glad you agree haha, was worried you'd be mad at my thesis!

@asleep, that means a lot coming from you man

April 20th 2018

This got pushed off the page quick :c

luci
April 21st 2018

band is reliably mediocre

ashcrash9
April 21st 2018

I'm actually diggin' this a ton, which is surprising considering I found their album last year super "eh, it's a 3"