Kacey Musgraves
Golden Hour

by robin EMERITUS
April 9th, 2018 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'm not allowed to use the staff blog anymore [Note from editor: this is untrue -- he simply forgot how to log in as 'pianotuna']

I just want this to be a thread in appreciation of “Lonely Weekend”, which is as relatable as a song is gonna get. Unspecific to the point of holding everyone up at once... detached enough from its own personal despair to be yours instead… kinda rainy day, in my opinion. KM’s ambiguity fills the glass up but makes it feel empty. Or the other way round, maybe" “Lonely Weekend” is like living in an apartment listing with a bunch of emotional furniture.

The backing vocals are so good. They provide ample contradiction to storytelling about being solitary; like a reminder that loneliness condenses when you’re actually fine, or at the very least just online, ‘cos you can see people getting on with it and message people for some passive reassurance. Like the musical arrangement equivalent of a very lukewarm take, KM half-postulates: maybe loneliness is actually good" The drum fill kinda marches slash slowly gets out of bed in its pre-chorus build-up and everything is essentially fine: melancholy, and uplifting, but fine.

I can’t really say anything profound about this song except for that it’s truly wonderful to me that my favourite song of the year so far (and maybe for the rest of it) is about okayness. If I was in KM’s position on one of these weekends I’d be forlorn and listless, but her version is a beautiful melodic shrug. It makes me think of silences between album changes or background TV noise or the decision to go upstairs for no reason when holing up in the living room was working out just fine. It's motivational in absolutely no way except entirely. Anyway I'm not allowed to use the staff blog anymore and the record is amazing.

Jessica Pratt Quiet SignsMatt Douglas Affirmation (with Discomfort)
Angelo De Augustine Swim Inside the MoonJeff Rosenstock Worry.
Okkervil River AwayOren Ambarchi, Kassel Jaeger, James Rushford Pale Calling

luci
April 9th 2018

My favorite song here as well. It's a perfect Track 2 for a meandering record: fleeting and transitional, serving as connective tissue between a mood-setting opener and the rest of the material. I like how tempered the hook is, circling about itself rather than shooting for the sky (that role is for Track 3). The sequencing of the first two-thirds of the album is impeccable (gets a tad haphazard from "Velvet Elvis" onwards though). Very good album!

Winesburgohio

the caged robin sings

Digging: Burial - Claustro/State Forest

April 9th 2018

First Chan now Robin. What a week!

Digging: Bad Books - III

April 9th 2018

lol thanks for the editors note

luci
April 9th 2018

bet the sput noobs don't even know pianotuna

featured review lul

theacademy

haha the editors note

April 9th 2018

valued member of the team

verdant
April 9th 2018

hello robin this is good

PistolPete
April 9th 2018

fuck even my anti-country ass can get behind this song

twlichty
April 9th 2018

Album is pretty good, not quite as amazing as a lot of people are making it out to be but to each is own

wwf
April 9th 2018

Someone pull this for metacritic

gets a tad haphazard from "Velvet Elvis" onwards though

the jump from wonder woman to high horse is so wild lmao

brainmelter
April 9th 2018

T/t is definitely the best

Digging: Yellow Eyes - Rare Field Ceiling

MarsKid
April 9th 2018

2018 bringing everybody out of the woodwork, means the music must be solid this time 'round

plane
April 9th 2018

why is it so hard to accept the party is over?

swipenet
April 10th 2018

Four 4.5 reviews. Someone needs to just drop the 5 already

April 11th 2018

Maybe it will be me. Album is so smooth.

neekafat

when melon gives this a 4 but Jack White a 9

PistolPete
April 11th 2018

Yeah I don't get that guy either sometimes, but I think he makes a good point calling out uninitiated country listeners like myself out for not truly being able to recognize the flaws on this vs. her or other's material because we lack context.

Also...while this song is good, I think "Slow Burn" is better.

neekafat
April 11th 2018

Idk we'll see what I think because I do actually come from a slight country background