Hop Along
Bark Your Head Off, Dog

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: god, my fantasy baseball team sucks

On any one of her record's first plays—each one of them, when you listen for the first time—Frances Quinlan's voice can find a way to cut you in half. No matter how ready you are for it, and no matter how much you have come to expect it, a moment will come where your knee buckles or a cold chill zips up your neck to your thinning hairline. Quinlan's and her compatriot's effective re-constitution of 70's vibes into a constantly-evolving approach to indie folk/rock has always found new ways to make an old sound feel new, interesting, and, most importantly, authentic.

Bark Your Head Off, Dog continues the Hop Along tradition insofar as it is sharp, well-produced indie rock accompanying Quinlan's bold lyrical earnestness. This is the band's hallmark sound, so loyalists can rejoice. What is different this time around, however, are broader and more grandiose instrumentation (read: some dope ass harp!) and something of a... brighter disposition. This is perhaps the poppiest the Philadelphia outfit has ever come across.

This new, sunnier Hop Along is perhaps just a function of Quinlan's telling of different stories—Quinlan remains one of the genre's best storytellers, and Bark Your Head Off, Dog's songs retain that richly textual feel. As a reaction the album as a whole, I might be inclined to believe that this is obscured by comparisons to its predecessor, the similarly excellent Painted Shut, which capably tread on some pretty dark reflections of the everyday. Yet, in the case of this new record, the loftier and more upbeat composition says enough. This album has an attitude all its own.

Consider, for example, the picturesque levity of "Somewhere a Judge" (and particularly its chorus). Consider also, for good measure, the punchy turn-up midway through "Not Abel," where the song's central question—posed amidst dense orchestral layering—is answered with a narrative break ("When you asked me that question, it sounded like a joke…") offered alongside up-tempo riffage. This pep carries over into "The Fox in Motion," another up-tempo offering punctuated with hand claps and driven with a tambourine.

To be clear, these dynamic movements remain subtle, and it's not like Hop Along decided to suddenly write songs that are straight-up happy or anything like that (gross!). The depth and intensity—other hallmarks of Hop Along—of these offerings remain intact. More appropriately, it's like these new songs embrace another side to that intensity, put forth in the name of, and the pursuit of, a perspective not shaped by such strange men. My 'cut down moment' on this album came in the second chorus of "One that Suits Me," a cheerily defeatist reminder that perspective is actually, and unfortunately, everything.

Banks The AltarThrice To Be Everywhere Is to Be Nowhere
Against The Current In Our BonesAtreyu Long Live
Marina and The Diamonds FrootFalling in Reverse Just Like You
FreddieDelaney31 (4.5)
If we only circle around, there's no hurry in reaching it...

Haygoody (4.5)
How simple my heart can be...

deathschool

Didn't read; pos

(Great review)

Digging: This Will Destroy You - New Others Part Two

brainmelter

oooo ya

Digging: Nosvrolok - Rare and Unreleased 1996 - 2009

April 8th 2018

Another 4.9 acad certified classic. Love the review.

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

EaglesBecomeVultures

certified

April 8th 2018

thx guys 4.9 felt just right : )

robertsona

album sucks agreed

Digging: Earl Sweatshirt - Some Rap Songs

FreddieDelaney31

What a review damn

Considering giving in and bumping this to a 5 but I did the same thing with TROW and that grew off of me so idk

Digging: ITEM - Sad Light

Danred97

1915 Comments

Not sure if it's better than Painted Shut, but this album is so great. The vocals are the catchiest they've ever been while still having that grit that I love from her. The music is so bouncy and anthemic. This is so much fun.

Brostep
April 8th 2018

acad would you say that "Somewhere a Judge" is putting up pretty decent numbers through his first few games hyuk hyuk hyuk

April 8th 2018

perhaps... grounded into a pretty sweet double play today tho :S

Marehelm
April 9th 2018

Okay, What makes this a 4.9 and not a 5?

Conmaniac

good review and wonderful album here...one of my favorites of 2018, easily

Jom
April 9th 2018

I somehow went 7-5 in my first week even though Giancarlo got me a platinum sombrero with his dogshit effort yesterday.

Snake.

let's go yankees!

Digging: Space Camp - Inevitable Demise

April 9th 2018

at the time of this writing shoehei hadnt taken the mound yet and i was down 6-8

i ended up winning 7-6!!!

Pheromone
April 9th 2018

That opener is perfect wow

really gd album

Spluger
April 10th 2018

1947 Comments

Ugh the way Frances Quinlan sings “In an open field, man is guilty always“ has been stuck in my head since this dropped. Fantastic album. Probably AOTY

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Makemebad35
April 10th 2018

Already gave this a few spins. Really digging it.