Escape the Fate
I Am Human

good

by Willow Westervelt USER (16 Reviews)
March 30th, 2018 | 24 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: More of the same. But somewhat improved.

This is it. Escape The Fate have reached what kind of feels like their magnum opus: I Am Human is their latest 13-track, one recycled song effort. While I can truly say that I have enjoyed ETF's previous work, this one just feels like an album they won't be able to live up to in some aspects.

I Am Human's strong suits are definitely the music and production: Kevin "Thrasher" Gruft and TJ Bell work absolutely beautiful here, while Robert Ortiz and Craig Mabbitt are a nice finishing touch on things. The production is a shining positive on here, despite how tough it can be to hear the bass (although that is quite a common issue with these so-called "scene metal" bands nowadays). For the most part, the lyrics are some of Mabbitt's most heart-felt and genuine, though some are just downright bad. Two of my biggest complaints are: how they seem to be stuck in their misery. Going for centering on heartbreak is fine by me, but its been done by Mabbitt and company so much since he debuted. It would be quite refreshing to hear something lyrically different: "Empire" seems to serve as this, being a sort of upbeat partying song, but is marred by such terrible lyricism such as:

"One more time doing one more line
One more shot till we all ignite
Spend all of my money and more"

And lets not forget the fact that "Let Me Be" is recycled from Hate Me. It's not even a re-recorded version. It's literally the same version as the one on Hate Me, though I can somewhat forgive this as according to them, it is more of the result of their label meddling in their business than the band's call. At the end of the day, I Am Human certainly won't top any "best of 2018" polls, but it's still a solid collection of songs that show that the ETF crew are still completely capable of giving their fans something to enjoy for a bit every couple of years. If you're even simply a casual ETF fan, I would suggest picking this up, but if you don't already like them, you probably won't enjoy this effort at all.

Stand-outs: "I Will Make It Up To You", "Four Letter Word" and "Do You Love Me""

Deadmau5 Get ScrapedThe Bunny The Bear The Way We Rust
Get Scared Best Kind of MessBuckcherry Warpaint
Weezer The Black AlbumTeamheadkick Sofa King Gamer
Mason Pearmain (4)
The best album they've put out since 2010....

March 30th 2018

Album is available for streaming on Spotify.

Constructive criticism appreciated.

Digging: The Bunny The Bear - The Way We Rust

March 30th 2018

I love this album, but you really didn't describe its sound at all in this review bar some lyrical commentary.

Snake.

one review per day

March 30th 2018

I wrote the Cry Baby review yesterday actually, moderation here was just slow

dfevil085
March 30th 2018

Need to listen to this later, but judging by the singles I fully expect this to be their worst yet.

Digging: The Black Codex - Episodes 1-13

Thinking about reviewing this at some point

Shamus248

Liked "Do You Love Me". the other 2 promo singles were the definition of cringe

Digging: Yellowcard - Southern Air

Spec
April 4th 2018

I don’t think there’s a worse vocalist out there.

Darius the Great

19909 Comments

Thinking about reviewing this at some point

Please god no

Spec
April 4th 2018

Sounds like a shitty Disney movie soundtrack.

April 9th 2018

Craig Mabbitt is a fantastic vocalist though

April 11th 2018

"I don’t think there’s a worse vocalist out there."

That guy from The Chainsmokers

May 6th 2018

Album is wearing off a bit but still fun

Pagepage250
May 9th 2018

"I don’t think there’s a worse vocalist out there."

Joe Elliott

May 9th 2018

The Chainsmokers, still the only band to turn a joke song into a massive legitimate career.

Feather
August 7th 2018

Checking out your recommendations for shits and gigs... This band has plunged so far down hill its incredible. Mabbitt has just gotten worse and worse over time. He was so good in blessthefall and the word alive too.

I will make it up to you sounds like a cover of MCR's 'I'm not Okay!'.

ItsTheSquirrel
August 28th 2018

Craig is a good singer, he's just a shit song writer

Digging: Children of Bodom - Hexed

Feather
August 28th 2018

Now he is ... Blessthefall and The Word Alive were insane back when he was with them.

dfevil085
August 28th 2018

Hell, even the Dead Rabbitts EP was solid, but the rest of that project is mostly meh.

ItsTheSquirrel
September 10th 2018

Still better than this album tbh