Siege
Drop Dead

by Bloon CONTRIBUTOR (78 Reviews)
March 29th, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1984 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Seminal violence.

Most genres have a band or two that, for one reason or another, unintentionally made strides in creating new subgenres. By taking a slower, heavy approach to bluesy heavy metal, Black Sabbath and Pentagram paved the way for doom metal acolytes, such as Candlemass and Saint Vitus. Slayer’s aggressive, break-neck thrash metal proved influential to what would become death metal, with Hell Awaits’ influence being felt in early works by Possessed and Death. In a similar manner, by actively attempting play faster than any other contemporary hardcore group, Siege created a intense, noisy onslaught of speedy hardcore that would go on to inspire countless powerviolence, a subgenre of punk commonly attributed to Siege and Infest, and grindcore bands, including Napalm Death, grind’s most mainstream group. While not the genres’ sole influencers, the songs featured on the seminal Drop Dead tape, released in 1984, are some of the earliest examples of vicious grind.

To boil this tape down to solely it's influence is a disservice to the quality of the music, as every second of this ferocious discord is just as lively and crushing as ever. The spirit of punk shines through infectious chaos, especially on “Life of Hate” and the blistering title track. It's a glorious flurry of cacophonous sounds that slap the listener’s eardrums. All of these furious slabs of auditory violence flies forward at a speed, only slowing down for the beginning of “Conform” and the morbid closer, “Grim Reaper,” the latter of which makes use of distorted saxophone and sludgy riffs. On the rest of the record, the slashing guitars hit like a furious lightning strike, similarly to the thunderous drums and screams. This sound lends itself well to the band’s rough playing style, which is authentically punk and undeniably razor-like, especially on the fiery “Armageddon.”

Fiery is one of the best ways to describe Drop Dead. In just 12 minutes and 41 seconds, Siege melds speed and fury in ways that, at the time, we’re unheard of. Its extensive influence on powerviolence and grind is still felt today, with bands still find inspiration in ideas popularized during the band’s sole works. Beyond this, the release has aged remarkably well, feeling as fresh and vigorous as ever.

Young Thug Slime LanguagePixies Head Carrier
Body/Head The SwitchNegativland Dispepsi
Stalaggh Projekt MisanthropiaGruesome Twisted Prayers
Desert Dweller (0)

March 28th 2018

Thanks to BBGames and granitenotebook for looking over this with fresh eyes. This slaps super hard. Check the tape out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kOw567iyLU

Digging: Homostupids - The Load

I got time for a Bloon review : ]

foxblood

great album

March 29th 2018

Am I losing my mind? Didn't this get reviewed recently?

March 29th 2018

Cmon guys I gots to know

March 29th 2018

Not that I know of, unless it was deleted.

March 29th 2018

does anyone know if theres some way for me to look into my post histoyr beyond the most immediate recent posts?

Adabelle

Great review

Think it should be 'fly'not 'flies' in second paragraph and 'were unheard of' in the last paragraph though

March 30th 2018

oh sorry im a complete idiot, it was just someone bumping the other review from 2005

anyway this destroys and your review is needless to say infinitely better than the aforementioned

Thanks man!

Supercoolguy64
March 30th 2018

Monkey see, monkey do, monkey has a low IQ

March 31st 2018

@adabelle I'll fix that. Thank you!

sixdegrees