Kero Kero Bonito
TOTEP

good

by Mort. CONTRIBUTOR (55 Reviews)
March 28th, 2018 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Not something we need in [current year]

If TOTOEP illustrates the direction that Kero Kero plan on taking further then some fans will be sorely disappointed: the easy, breezy, care-free bubble-gum delight of Bonito Generation is (almost) gone. Instead, TOTOEP sees Kero Kero getting a tad weirder, introducing some glitch, noise and even jarring guitar parts into the mix, making it seem like the band doesn’t know whether they want to encapsulate the fuzz of another dull garage rock band or the fuzz of a computer overloading on kitsch-ness. Although, the glitch and noise is a welcome change. It helps make Kero Kero’s digital aesthetic not so annoyingly sweet; it’s more like we are hurtling headfirst along the digital highway into some sort of conceptual annihilation, rather than perusing sparkly kawaii blogs on Tumblr. However, the heavier inclusion of more traditionally rock orientated instruments just makes them sound like another lo-fi garage band with a singsong-y female vocalist, which is not something we need in [current year]. Instead, I’d rather they incorporated the glitch-y, noisier parts of their aesthetic into the whole more smoothly, as opposed to treating them like embellishments to their new direction.

The Garden U Want The Scoop?Wolf Alice Visions of a Life
SeeYouSpaceCowboy... Fashion Statements of the Socially AwareUnsane Sterilize
Geotic NeptuneGeotic Duchenne Smile
3.2
good

March 28th 2018

wow this is a mort. review most definetely

Digging: Radiohead - The Bends

Papa Universe
March 28th 2018

wow this is a kero release most definitely

Digging: Petrojvic Blasting Company - Over the Garden Wall

March 28th 2018

Thats right!! Take a prize from the shiny jar

Pheromone
March 28th 2018

when did you write 55 reviews?? pos!

Digging: Spokane - The Proud Graduates

rabidfish
March 28th 2018

this didn't need a review, but glad there's one anyways!

I like the sound they tried to go for, i just wish on the next LP there's better production because they do not know how to guitars, apparently. Also, it felt really rushed and unfinished, but since it's just 4 tracks i guess i'll give them a pass this time, the eagerness to get this out there took the best of them.

Digging: The Do - A Mouthful

GmemberKills
March 28th 2018

I actually really like all these tracks, but overall it just feels too short & incomplete. I don't even mind the production but the tracks don't flow well, and there isn't a lot of variety either. I'd like to here to this style or some these songs again in the context of a full album.

DrGonzo1937
March 29th 2018

A mort review! I'll be getting on this shortly.

Digging: Mike Shinoda - Post Traumatic

DrGonzo1937
March 29th 2018

Never heard these guys before, but this sounds more appealing than their earlier work judging from this.

Will check. Sweet rev Mort, as always.

JS19
March 29th 2018

Yeah this is exactly how i feel

20000 Comments

Band are going from strength to strength

Digging: The The - Infected

Only thing worse than this in prospect in 2018 is new Kate Nash

March 29th 2018

Thanks for the kind words people. Glad i apparently hit the nail on the head

And doof thats the exact rating id expect from you

March 29th 2018

"it’s more like we are hurtling headfirst along the digital highway into some sort of conceptual annihilation, rather than perusing sparkly kawaii blogs on Tumblr."

are you bennett foddy of getting over it fame?

March 29th 2018

"just makes them sound like another lo-fi garage band with a singsong-y female vocalist, which is not something we need in [current year]"

March 29th 2018

"arent there dozens of bands like that with a 3.9 average and over a hundred ratings no this site?"

yes there are and that is exactly my point

and i have no idea who bennett foddy is or why that made you think of him : )

March 29th 2018

oh hes the guy who did qwop and that weird cauldron man game

20000 Comments

'And doof thats the exact rating id expect from you'

I predicted I'd rate this a 1 actually, this 1.5 is one of the biggest surprises in my 2018 ratings

March 29th 2018

"or why that made you think of him : )"

cuz that game actually has a bunch of similarly worded commentary (frmo his perspective obv) about art and media in the digital age

didnt mean anything deeper than that

March 29th 2018

fairs. funnily enough i just read that he trained as a philosopher, which is coincidentally what im currently getting my bachelors in

March 29th 2018

yeah he has a doctorate in philosophy and taught at a university iirc? but hes also been making weird intentionally-crappy games for like a decade, so thats pretty cool