Draconian
Turning Season Within

by pizzamachine USER (220 Reviews)
March 18th, 2018 | 9 replies

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “The shredding of my soul, Steeped in a lavender smile” - Draconian

This is one gothic/doom metal album you will never forget. Beginning with a riff that could shake the cosmos, Draconian never let up on their attack. The sounds created in this album, with only a handful of instruments, are so destructive it seems a violation of nature. But Draconian were never the type to give you rest. The album bleeds with anguish/hatred/sadness, and punches with the best guitar tone I’ve heard. The lyrics are mainly focused on broken relationships but self-hatred and suicidal thoughts emerge along with others.

You cannot skip tracks on this album. Every song pulls you in deeper to their hell, and they want you to follow them. Draconian prefer the beauty and the beast tactic, which is demonic sounding screams from the dude coupled with a female singer. Never before has this sounded so good. I dare you to disagree. Anders screams are brutal and incredibly difficult to actually pull off (I’ve tried). He thunders upon the music like a complete aberration. His feelings are so bare and desolate of hope you wonder if he’s alright. The singer is also wonderful and you believe she’s in the midst of tears while singing “Why have you forsaken me”. It’s such an emotional album, so raw that despite the ever-present drained colour it’s beautiful.

This will forever be Draconian’s crowning achievement in my eyes. Many praise Arcane Rain Fell but to neglect Turning Season Within is folly. I use the word “powerful” a lot, but this album is absolutely soul piercing. It’s a grim, bleak travesty with gorgeous melodies, an unforgettable experience. It’s a well written piece where ghastly riffs echo, and broken hearts wallow. If you can’t feel something from this album you’re trying too hard to be a cynic. ‘Earthbound’ will forever haunt my thoughts with its abhorrent misery yet utter beauty. This album is something special, a masterpiece of emotions. I challenge you to enter its darkness, you may not leave unscathed.