Myles Kennedy
Year of the Tiger

by tiesthatbind USER (46 Reviews)
March 13th, 2018 | 37 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "If there is a God, why did he take my father’s soul?"

After spending the last two decades fronting hard rock bands, Year of the Tiger is a fresh and intriguing new direction for Myles Kennedy. As a concept album, it’s heart-wrenching and deeply personal for Myles, dealing with the loss of his father at a young age after his father refused medical treatment due to his Christian Science beliefs. Grief and loss are pervasive themes on the album, as well as Myles’ own questioning of his childhood faith, something which was previously touched on in ABIII but given greater context and emotional weight on Year of the Tiger. Ultimately, however, as the album reflects him processing his own difficult history, it also becomes more hopeful by the end, highlighting his mother’s strength and resilience and projecting a positive vision for the future.

Musically, it’s a fun and engaging album, even with the heavier subject matter. Myles trades in the charged metal riffs of his main band for mandolin and lap steel guitar, getting to play to his strengths as a songwriter in ways that he hasn’t been able to fully explore with Alter Bridge or Slash. The blues and folk-infused songs on Year of the Tiger end up being an excellent match to his vocal and musical sensibilities. From the rollicking, lyrically evocative title track and the bluesy swagger of ‘Devil on the Wall’, to the more subdued and contemplative ‘Haunted by Design’, the album moves at a steady pace and never hits a lull. Myles’ skill as a guitarist shines throughout the album, with consistently engaging riffs and intricate playing. He also delivers some of his strongest vocal performances to date, particularly on ‘The Great Beyond’, whose bombastic, string-assisted hooks are the closest the album gets to the intensity of his Alter Bridge material.

Although it took years to come to fruition, Myles Kennedy’s solo debut is worth the wait. It’s melodically pleasing and more lyrically affecting than anything else he’s been a part of. As great as he’s done in delivering a signature brand of melodic heavy rock with Alter Bridge, the more intimate material found in Year of the Tiger is a promising new direction which hopefully leads to more from Myles as a solo artist in the future. Created as a work of catharsis, it’s a powerful, resonant album that does justice to its subject matter.

Lunatic Soul FracturedJoseph I'm Alone, No You're Not
Alter Bridge The Last HeroPoets of the Fall Clearview
Alter Bridge FortressGrammatrain Lonely House

Dewinged
March 12th 2018

Good review man, I gotta give this a check. Have a pos.

Digging: Kaelan Mikla - Not Eftir Not

MadKungFu
March 12th 2018

You've got me interested, gonna check this out at some point. Good review too.

butcherboy
March 12th 2018

likely won't listen, but review is great, short and to zee point.. have a pos..

Digging: Sonny Sharrock - Black Woman

SteakByrnes
March 12th 2018

Might check this out, I thought the single was decent enough

Digging: The Parallel (CAN) - Weaver

March 13th 2018

short and sweet review, spot on too.

this is what i've been craving from Kennedy, to see a different side of his musicianship outside of AB and working with Slash.

WatchItExplode
March 13th 2018

Ties here to rep Kennedy. There are some constants in this world.

Ties knows what's up

RaylanCrowder
March 13th 2018

Excellent review. My favourite song off this is probably "Love Can only Heal"

tiesthatbind
March 13th 2018

Yeah, I really hope Myles keeps doing stuff like this. It’s a great fit for him. It would be great if this influences the next AB album as well.

Haunted by Design is my favorite. I’ve been replaying that one ever since it was a single and it still hasn’t gotten old.

kris.

damn, this sounds great

EvoHavok
March 13th 2018

The right person to review this first, heh. Gonna check it out soon.

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Toondude10
March 13th 2018

really wasn't big on this tbh, it's just not my thing. Though "The Great Beyond" was really good.

Digging: Lovebites - Clockwork Immortality

March 13th 2018

ties reviewing hard rock...feels like 2010.
nice work, pos'd

Digging: Exit North - Book of Romance and Dust

Toondude10
March 13th 2018

this isn't hard rock tho

HarryBoBerry
March 14th 2018

Great review, it's really nice to hear this side of Myles, I enjoy this quite a bit.

MarkvandenBerg
March 14th 2018

Great review!

PickleVai17
March 15th 2018

Great album! Its a good departure from stuff you hear from Alter Bridge and Slash. Im lovin it!

PickleVai17
March 15th 2018

March 20th 2018

this grew off me, hard and fast

jmh886