Turbowolf
The Free Life

by insomniac15 STAFF
March 12th, 2018 | 18 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Twisted and fun like always...

Turbowolf are back with their most chiseled album yet, The Free Life. Their manic blend of punk, alternative rock, stoner grooves, vintage metal as well as outlandish psychedelia received a slight beautification, however, none of the fun was removed in the process. The band still sounds as if they are about to snap at any moment, plus the entire LP can be compared to a whirlwind. Who listened to their discography could see this smooth production related transition from the raw debut, but there is a lot to love here so no worries.

Right from the start, Turbowolf set things ablaze through the punchy trio consisting of ‘No No No’, ‘Capital X’ & ‘Cheap Magic’. These adrenaline shots boast frantic riffs, embellished by cute synths and occasional, unexpected melodic detours. It’s remarkable how they twist patterns or switch to different ones at the snap of a finger. The steroid-pumped boogie fueling ‘Cheap Magic’ is hypnotic, while its finale makes room for some strutting licks. They lead us to one of the heaviest tunes here, ‘Very Bad’, which features pile-driving riffage on top of pounding drums. As it progresses, the hellish progressions get interspersed with moodier segments, whereas the heartfelt vocals of Chantal Brown (from the band Vodun) fit really well (in an odd manner) alongside paranoid keyboards.

At the heart of the record, the pop sensibilities take the forefront on the lighter cut, ‘Half Secrets’. The hand claps and twangy guitars gently play as the vocals blend with organ touches. Nevertheless, we’re rapidly thrown right back into the fold when the chugs of ‘Domino’ take over. The song shows Turbowolf’s knack for mean grooves and make you glad they don’t go full mainstream. They have the potential, since they currently lie somewhere in between. Despite this chance, I fear it would ruin the brilliant affairs they craft. On the other hand, the longer tracks offer multiple sonic changes and The Free Life shares a few too. ‘Last Three Clues’ goes from a hard rocker to fast paced scorcher. There are a couple of slow passages tying the main ideas, but the raging energy is kept intact all the time. ‘Up N Atom’ cranks the volume all the way during choruses, shifting gears every minute, while the title track is out of control (in the best way possible). Its swerving riffs portray the band’s strengths very well. All in all, you will be surprised to see how much you discover in only 40 minutes. I truly admire these guys’ progress, so I hope they continue down this twisted road, using a dozen styles to craft such strong material that also has a familiar feel to it.

Crippled Black Phoenix Great EscapeReverend Horton Heat Whole New Life
Zippo Ode to Maximum (2018)The Ocean Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic
Rotor (GER) SechsThomas Dybdahl All These Things

March 12th 2018

Wrote a short review for this album, because it's awesome and I didn't want it to go unnoticed. Hopefully, others will feel the same.

'Domino' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKhnqLoS-A

'The Free Life' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAjEpBXJm4

'Cheap Magic' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EILYekUtkos

JesusCage
March 12th 2018

It is, in fact, awesome.

Thank you for your service. Cheers.

March 12th 2018

Hell yeah haven't read the review yet but glad it exists! Album rules, for me it's easily their best. They had two good ones but finally they dropped a truly great (at least!) one. The final combo t/t+Concluder is fire

March 12th 2018

Yeah, I feel this is the most consistent so far too.

Crawl
March 12th 2018

This band is a lot of fun. I find them quite consistent in general, all of their albums are solid 3.5s.

JS19
March 12th 2018

Might go see them Thursday based on this awesome album

DominionMM1

will have to check soon

Digging: Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises in the East

March 12th 2018

Sweet review Raul, I have them on my list, haven't jammed it yet. Glad to read this is good.

Digging: Miserable - Loverboy / Dog Days

March 13th 2018

Thanks! Be sure to check their previous stuff too

wow 5 tracks in, this is great

March 13th 2018

Heard a single off this, thought it was annoying as hell

Digging: Acrimony - Tumuli Shroomaroom

March 13th 2018

The more I listen the more I dig. Tight, unpredictable songs, improved vocal melodies, short and sweet runtime. My sixth sense told me to hype this album and it was so right

March 14th 2018

Agree, Sab, pleasantly surprised with these guys.

March 15th 2018

Last Three Clues feels downright apocalyptic instrumentally. Actually in quite a few places the music feels almost post-apocalyptic to me. Mad catchy album but it has plenty of balls

NonApplicable
March 25th 2018

This is great. Not sure if it's really 4/5 worthy but something about their sound always gets me coming back.

March 29th 2018

If they manage to add a little bit of technicality to their sound without losing the infectious grip of the riffs I'll be very happy. It's close to be a big album for me but it lacks just a hair of *that thing*

June 27th 2018

Man, Very Bad, Domino and The Free Life are probably among the best rock tracks I've heard this year.

June 29th 2018

The Free Life is one of my favorite songs so far this year agreed, I wonder if they can record an album more consistent on that level, it'd be a 4 for me. Very Bad has such addicting riffing and a touch of atmosphere for the chorus, Domino is even more infectious though it slaps a little less hard.

It's quite tough to pick a top 3... so I'm gonna cheat. I'll say No No No, Last Three Clues and t/t+Concluder together