Drudkh

4.3

by Scuro F. STAFF
March 9th, 2018 | 196 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An understated triumph.

Whilst the majority of black metal projects tend to nominate Winter as their chosen province, Drudkh remain devotedly infatuated with more temperate climes, doting in particular upon the transitory seasons forever trapped between two extremes. Coming off the back of an acclaimed split EP with Swiss solo-artist Paysage d’Hiver, the dichotomous evolution evidently proceeds once more, for the autumnal decay conjured on Somewhere Sadness Wanders surrenders to the inevitable rebirth promised by They Often See Dreams About the Spring.

Each track here is a temporary slice of organic abundance revelling in the celebratory warmth of life. Drudkh stand at the centre, responsible for all, shaping glass-smooth compositions in the same way a healthy April river caresses her gentle banks. The band’s classic twin-guitar interplay unfurls with the delicacy of periwinkle petals. Split duties see one role reserved largely for low-register rhythmic pulses while the other provides trebly tremolo melodies, crowning the instrumental environment with regal bliss. Appreciably, the bass serves a prominent foundational role in this incredibly balanced mix, and its reassuring rumble is a constant, welcome presence. While the guitars buzz acrobatically through the toasty spring-morning air, one can always rely on the snoozing house cat purring satisfied in the meadow below.

Egotism clearly isn't a notion ever broached in the Ukranians’ camp. Every member locks into the groove and serves a higher purpose to the extent that it becomes difficult extracting one element from the whole. Both the vocals and subtle keyboard textures especially play complementary parts, each adding their characteristic flavour when the moment calls for it, but otherwise hanging back to ensure the broth stays unspoiled. Directing a curious listener towards a de-contextualised example representative of this album’s quality also proves futile. Repetition and minimalist percussion are favoured techniques throughout and induce quite the hypnotic effect, relying on a slow build that pays off over time. Beyond claiming that closer ‘Bilyavyi Den’ Vtomyvsya I prytykh’ stands out from the pack, discriminating any more precisely seems to me a worthless endeavour. Graceful cohesion and uncompromising fluidity are the keys to success for Drudkh, and as assuredly as Autumn eventually yields to the vitality of ...Dreams About the Spring, succeed they do.

Korpiklaani KulkijaJonathan Davis Black Labyrinth
Majesty of Silence Zu Dunkel Für Das LichtDream Troll The Witch's Curse
Lautreamont Silence of the DeceasedWuW Rien ne nous sera épargné

ScuroFantasma
March 9th 2018

Stream: https://overdrive-mag.com/2018/03/08/premiere-drudkh-stream-new-album-їм-часто-сниться-капіж-often-see-dreams-spring/

Real grower this one, by degrees anyway, even from the first listen it sounded like something special.

Digging: Isegrimm - Der Herr von Verona

March 9th 2018

Fuck yes so pumped to hear this.

Digging: Boogie Down Productions - Criminal Minded

Frippertronics

hummina

ramon.
March 9th 2018

This was fantastic on the first listen. Excited to jump back in; can definitely see it becoming a favourite from the band. Brilliant review, dude. Really detailed given the brevity.

March 9th 2018

I've heard it's his best in a decade so I'm stoked. Gotta wait for them to put it on Bandcamp in my timezone though. -_-

Flugmorph

uuuuh excited for this

Digging: IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance

Crysis
March 9th 2018

third track slays, this album was quite good

NocteDominum

So pumped for this review/album. Love your work Scuro

Wizard

20194 Comments

Wow, quite surprised people are loving this. I expected another redundant album but you guys have convinced me to waste my time on this.

March 9th 2018

About to jam now, will report back with thoughts. m/

DungeonBoy
March 9th 2018

Nice review dude. I really dug what they did on the split with paysage and the two singles from this, so I will be jamming today for sure.

TheSpirit
March 9th 2018

Super good review. I've never really gotten into this band. Gonna have to czech this hard though.

Digging: Majestic Mass - Savage Empire of Death

Ocean of Noise
March 9th 2018

Spirit you need to check their whole discog. Everything from Forgotten Legends to Microcosmos is brilliant.

botb
March 9th 2018

Can’t wait to dive into this

zaruyache

19547 Comments

First tracks seemed good, rly excited to hear this one.

Digging: Forn - Rites of Despair

Essence

will czech

DungeonBoy
March 9th 2018

Pretty good album! One of Drudkh's better releases, but I think it has the same issues as a lot of their other albums where within each song it starts to get a bit repetitive, almost hypnotic. There are some really nice moments, some great tremolo harmonies but in the end I just wish it was a bit more interesting.

Essence
March 9th 2018

Yeah I think that it is an intentional sound they go for, but even a decade on from Microcosmos, they still haven't figured out how to do it consistently well.

Dungeon did you czech their split from last year? Drudkh in small doses is a slam dunk

botb