Ministry

2.4

by insomniac15 STAFF
March 8th, 2018 | 142 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The cover reflects your reaction after listening to this album...

Uncle Al decided we haven’t had enough of Ministry yet, so he resurrected the beast for a second time. To be honest, the songwriting was rusty on Relapse and while From Beer to Eternity had its moments, it was all supposed to lead to an end (again). Touring recommenced in 2015 (good news for fans, as live they are still top-notch), plus a new album was announced last year. Using Trump and the Republican Party as the main inspiration, AmeriKKKant felt like we were about to receive a rebranded Bush trilogy. I was reluctant to hear it, because of obvious reasons, still I decided not to have any expectations and promised myself not to dismiss it until I got to listen to the final product.

Thankfully, AmeriKKKant does not cause any more damage to the catalog than Relapse did for example, however, it doesn’t help either. I am happy Jourgensen left his frantic thrash leanings aside, focusing on groove or at least crafting thick, mid-tempo riffs. This way, we received a Ministry salad that uses elements from the entire discography. ‘Twilight Zone’ and to a lesser extent, ‘AmeriKKKa’ share Filth Pig-esque slower hooks that take their time to unfold, thus creating an uneasy atmosphere. The former even borrows harmonica leads reminiscent of the above mentioned LP’s title track. Ultimately, the song is a cute nostalgia trip for a fan. Meanwhile, ‘AmeriKKKa’ constantly shifts from scorching chugs to faster beats, breaking from the trademark repetitive patterns. Although the ideas are solid and the guitar solos are welcomed, the drum sound could’ve been more compelling. Also, the third odyssey on the album, ‘Victims of a Clown’ boasts a steadier beat, complete with scratches (they have a DJ in the live line-up now) and various sound scapes. As the band occasionally kicks into distorted outbursts, the front man’s scattered verses are tied with prolonged, bass-led segments. Halfway, the track picks up some intensity, relying on some theremin leads. Then, a collage of spoken samples take over, before finishing with a punk outro. It’s a nice addition, nevertheless, it doesn’t say much when compared to any of the classic affairs.

Unfortunately, in between these rather thin “pillars”, AmeriKKKant falls on its face pretty fast. If only Ministry crafted two more 8-minute jams and released it in that form. We could’ve taken it as some sort of acid trip induced oddity and leave it alone. Instead, we’re offered for starters a handful of pointless tunes, such as opener ‘I Know Words’, where nothing happens or ‘TV 5/4Chan’, a disgrace to the ‘TV’ series. Jourgensen’s baked lyrics are stating the obvious on ‘Wargasm’ and even worse, induced in error a lot of fans with ‘Antifa’’s actual message. The tongue-in-cheek approach was maybe a bit too vague this time. Other than that, the song is just more of the same style that covered most of preceding albums. Moreover, ‘Game Over’ is a slo-mo version of ‘Thieves’ with a forgettable chorus, so I can’t enjoy it due to this issue. Lastly, I was ready to see ‘We’re Tired of It’ as a solid tune, yet after a couple of listens I realized it doesn’t move me in any way. In fact, this is the main problem with this record: any slightly positive aspects are cancelled out by the negative ones, thus leaving you indifferent at best to the output (and I’m saying this as a big Ministry fan). The casual listeners or the ones who simply have less patience will definitely take this as a waste of time and I can’t blame them. I kept hoping there was some inspiration left, however, Uncle Al seems to be drained. I want him to keep touring, because that is the best thing about this legendary act at the moment. Take the few better cuts, add them to the playlist, then leave the mess behind.

Yawning Man The Revolt Against Tired NoisesYOB Our Raw Heart
Chihei Hatakeyama Butterfly's Summer and VanishedChurch of the Cosmic Skull Science Fiction
Bong Thought and ExistenceGod Is an Astronaut Epitaph
1.7
very poor
Simon.K CONTRIBUTOR (2)
Trash that could have been treasure, had it been handled right....

PsychicChris (2.5)
Make Ministry Retire Again...

March 8th 2018

I wanted this to be better and my rating is higher than it should be. Besides a couple of nice tunes, there ain't much to discover or enjoy here unfortunately. I don't think they should release another album, unless Al gets someone to write his tunes.

'Twilight Zone' - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjEC49hTitI

i can't believe he actually named a song TV5/4Chan

He's baked

deathschool
March 8th 2018

Oh Jesus, that title... and cover.

NocteDominum
March 8th 2018

That album title should have been enough of a clue

JS19
March 8th 2018

The only way I'll get to see Chelsea Wolfe this year is if I go to this album tour. I can't bring myself to do it

Digging: Tim Hecker - Haunt Me, Haunt Me Do It Again

Davil667
March 8th 2018

What a great write up, ace review. And unfortuately I'm afraid it's spot on... I want to like this but I'm scared to give it a shot. Enjoyed Twilight Zone quite a bit though.

March 8th 2018

Omg the album cover bwahahaha

Digging: DJ Seinfeld - Time Spent Away From U

Wildcardbitchesss
March 8th 2018

Just go dude, at the very least you'll get to enjoy Chelsea Wolfe and some older ministry tunes. I doubt they'll devote more than half of their set to this bullshit

March 8th 2018

Thank you Davil! The three 8-minute tracks are the only ones worth the time. The rest is whatever.

@JS19 - Live they are really cool and they play a bit of everything. They even brought a few '80s and '90s tunes back into the set, leaving some of the thrash material aside.

DoofusWainwright

19894 Comments

Unfortunately there is nothing fun about bad Ministry material - do I have to listen to this?

Digging: The The - Infected

Dewinged
March 8th 2018

For Wolfe I would get through this. Can't be that bad...

Right?

Digging: Mourn (SPA) - Sorpresa Familia

Maco097
March 8th 2018

Machine Head and Ministry are pioneering cuck metal. Respect.

Wildcardbitchesss
March 8th 2018

It's pretty bad tbh, but I'd kill to see Chelsea Wolfe live. She never comes around my neck of the woods

BigBlob
March 8th 2018

oh my fuck that album cover is amazing ahaha. its so shit its good

Digging: Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain

neekafat

ctrl + f: ,

TheSpirit

a 2.4 is 1.4 higher than i expected this to get

vermillionZ
March 8th 2018

The songs they released beforehand were awful I don't think I have the strength to go through this

omnipanzer
March 8th 2018

Rating is on point but honestly I think you can get a shitty Ministry fix off of it. I don't see it as anythign different than he's been spinning out for the last 20 years. The music is actually a little better quality than say Dark Side Of The Spoon- 1999.

artiswar