Iannis Xenakis

4.3

by Tristan Jones STAFF
March 7th, 2018 | 27 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: We're meteorites.

My best Persepolis listening experiences sit uncomfortably between misophonia and ASMR. On the couch, head tilted back, pressure on the neck, pulses of red in the peripherals. It’s a bit Jacob’s Ladder-esque, as though the music coerces you to relive traumatic life experiences, warped and sinister, most of which may not have ever happened. It’s self-induced terror at worst, lip-biting discomfort often, and an audial feast always. As a reissue, this piece feels like psychological excavation. Fitting, as the original 70s version was performed amidst the ruins of the great city itself, properly excavated decades prior, in the Temple of Darius. Here, we lie in the shadow of a shadow of a shadow. No, this isn’t pseudo-spiritual woo; the likes of Xenakis, Luigi Nono, Schoenberg, and Stockhausen had a stoically scientific bent, and Xenakis in particular used mathematically techniques in his sound design (he also had experience in engineering and architecture). Most of us will never know the full scope of Xenakis’ Polytopes: live performances blending sound, like, structure, and colors. So, we’re left to wonder.

As we wonder, our thoughts don’t evade the onslaught. This isn’t electroacoustic at its most sparse, as these nine pieces are relentless and dense. There are few nooks or crannies - every space is turned out and its contents flung. The This Heat fan in me can’t help but see the record’s opening minutes in the atmosphere in their 1979 debut. Or, if Art BearsHope and Fears came under siege and collapsed, maybe it’d resemble “Persepolis #6”. Though meant to be a free-flowing suite, much changes throughout, as though it’s a time lapse soundtrack to the then-recent history of Iran. (Unfortunate side note: the incoming theocracy of the Iranian Revolution led to the cancellation of the Shiraz Arts Festival, where this was originally performed. Other performers included John Cage, Morton Feldman, Karlheinz Stockhausen, and more.) “Persepolis #8” creaks monolithically, like a decrepit skyscraper, whose thousands of metal beams are bending and twisting. It’s in contrast to a section like “Persepolis #2”, which disorients and stings like desert wind before bumbling through a noisy rigmarole in “Persepolis #3”.

In his book Formalized Music, Xenakis flexed his mathematical knowledge with mentions (and applications) of Poisson’s Law, Paul Lévy, Markov chains, and analysis of Stochastic music. More importantly - and maybe more relevant to us - he explained how causality constricted music, and how his ethos was to transcend the serialist music of the time. On page one, his mission statement is to take concrete sounds and convert them to their spiritual essence. In the process, we navigate through fixations, finding ourselves in a state of bliss and realization, even if it lasts merely a second. A “tremendous truth” beyond music, a religion without dogma. Listening to Persepolis, on the couch, head tilted back, I know it’s here somewhere.

Jon Hopkins SingularityReindeer Field Reports From The Western Lands
Cecil Taylor Unit StructuresDrowse Cold Air
Mark Applebaum Speed DatingRrose and Lucy The Lotus Eaters II

March 7th 2018

Xenakis' book I mentioned: https://monoskop.org/images/7/74/Xenakis_Iannis_Formalized_Music_Thought_and_Mathematics_in_Composition.pdf

Frippertronics

Oh sweet

Saw this floating about on Discogs for a while

Winesburgohio
March 7th 2018

astounding work as per and now you've pointed out certain This Heat commonalities i can't unhear them... shitting bricks over here!

Digging: Felicita - Hej!

March 7th 2018

Great review. Only heard metastaseis (which you misspelled in the rec section) and I loved it. Will probably check this

lol oopsy, thx

AsleepInTheBack
March 8th 2018

Neat review, sounds like something that'd probably go over my head but that I'm curious to check. Didn't know you gave out 4.3s

EasterInTheBatcave
March 8th 2018

How does the remaster compare to the original?

TheBarber
March 8th 2018

Downloaded this rec a while back but never found the time, hopefully this should be it

Digging: Infant Island - Infant Island

March 8th 2018

@asleep - there's a lot to this contextually but in the end it's just noises

@easter - rashad becker does the remaster. imo this one has less of a 'slow start' and there's some structural changes. i like the overall sound more i think, especially at the mid-section where a lot of the variety is

(should probably have touched on that i suppose, will work it in later)

March 8th 2018

is this as good as the movie

Digging: Tragedy - Fury

March 8th 2018

idk I only read the book

rockandmetaljunkie
March 8th 2018

Can't believe i'm reading descriptions about asmr on sputnik tbh

March 8th 2018

ehh read more ambient reviews, it comes up

Wildhoney
March 9th 2018

that first sentence... lmao. gotta check this though since a 4.3 from you is some high praise

March 9th 2018

is it better than the book

March 9th 2018

“that first sentence... lmao”

I mean... I’m trying to say it has a tingling, soothing effect, but also generates sounds that grate and irritate. I don’t think it’s a bad sentence 😕

@sint - sure, not really comparable since one is an Iranian girl’s coming-of-age graphic novel and the other is some old Greek guy going stringy strangy

March 9th 2018

stringy strangy sounds good, i'll give it a peep

March 9th 2018

you mean that could’ve been by entire review?

actually wait that is my entire review

Eons
March 10th 2018

This guy was a super interesting person.

Cygnatti
March 10th 2018

lmao a re-release in 2018? why tho.

Digging: Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album