S. Carey
Hundred Acres

by neekafat CONTRIBUTOR (57 Reviews)
March 6th, 2018 | 114 replies

Release Date: 02/23/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Keep your feet on the ground and your eyes to the sky.

My love for folk exists at an odds with my personal trends of music enjoyment. For music to be arresting to me, there generally has to be a sense of ambition and sonic adventurousness, a willingness to explore beyond the norms and try new things. And while some folk artists strive to push the boundaries of the genre, oftentimes they seem complacent, taking comfort in familiar sounds in order to battle their personal demons on their own terms.

It’s also strange that even though my love for this album was evident from the start, its faults were at the front of my mind the first time I listened to it. The music is consistently gorgeous, lush, and inspiring, but there’s a quiet uniformity that strangles the album, one that makes it clear there’s no strong intention to try anything new here.

That being said, S. Carey does nail the base foundations of the genre perfectly. There’s a deep, rich beauty to every one of the tracks here, so much so that there is no clear weak link. The whole thing wraps you up like a warm blanket, just as the lyrics express an eerie uneasiness. And as you settle deeper, the faults become less and less evident. It slowly eschews its influences and comes into its own sound. His subtly strange instrumentation perks the ears on further listens, with the quiet country twang of “Fool’s Gold” sounding more unique than perhaps it should, and the gorgeous combination of strings and glitchy percussion in “Emery,” unveiling itself as a clear highlight. Even the title track, which at first sounded to me like a bad Sufjan Stevens cover of a Bon Iver song, now feels rooted in a familiar but quietly inventive sound that’s no more skippable than anything else.

I guess that when it comes down to it, folk music was never about reinventing the wheel. Sometimes, it’s just about that feeling of thinking back when you know you should be looking forward. It’s a magnet pulling you to your past and a reason to keep your eyes to the sky. Carey gets that. He knows that what we need isn’t either change or stability, and instead offers a rolling tide of familiar sounds that flow spectacularly well, breezing from one track to the next. At the end of the day we’re all on our own, just desperately clinging to that familiar thread to base ourselves off of from this moment onward. And I suppose that for me, that’s what folk music is. And this album happens to do it better than others.

The Curls Bounce HouseMariee Sioux Grief in Exile
Cage The Elephant Social CuesGlen Hansard This Wild Willing
Nilufer Yanya Miss UniverseSolange When I Get Home

March 6th 2018

Man these just keep getting shorter

Hopelust
March 6th 2018

Hey this sounds great. Have a pos.

Divaman
March 6th 2018

Nicely written, though. Short, but sweet.

Digging: Batushka - HOSPODI

Thanks guys (:

32094 Comments

Good review. Perfectly sums up my feelings on this.

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

luci
March 6th 2018

nice write-up neek, succinct and straightfoward

Drifter
March 6th 2018

I'm glad you mentioned Emery as a highlight. I love that song. It's also the name of my baby cousin so that's cool lol

March 6th 2018

"Emery" is probably the best thing on here, that's such a cool name! Is it a boy or girl name?

Thanks everyone (: And thanks for the feature!

March 6th 2018

nice to see a review for this

"Even the title track, which at first sounded to me like a bad Sufjan Stevens cover of a Bon Iver song, now feels rooted in a familiar but quietly inventive sounds that’s no more skippable than anything else."

my favorite track, haha. though the closer is getting up there now

Digging: Together to the Stars - An Oblivion Above

AsleepInTheBack
March 6th 2018

sounds like a lovely listen. great write up, neek

Thanks for inadvertently pointing out a typo Atari, fixed! (;

Appreciate it asleep! Any notes?

32094 Comments

Have You Stopped to Notice is hands down the most beautiful song here

March 6th 2018

Honestly one of my least favorite sowing :c

It really is beautiful, but it just doesn't stand out too much to me compared to the others

theBoneyKing
March 6th 2018

Nice review neek, I mostly agree with your points though I think I find it slightly less impressive as an overall package than you do.

Digging: Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell

March 6th 2018

subject to change but current favorites are Hundred Acres, More I See, and Meadow Song

Drifter

Girl

TwigTW

sometimes pretty is enough

Digging: David Bowie - Station to Station

TalonsOfFire
March 6th 2018

This sounds excellent, will have to listen. Great review neek!

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

theBoneyKing

Sometimes, Twig, but not always ;-P

March 6th 2018

@Boney I can understand why someone wouldn't dig this as much as I do but I'm glad you still enjoy it!

@Twig, you're totally right

@Talons Let me know whatcha think!