Ed Schrader's Music Beat
Riddles

by Sean H. CONTRIBUTOR (124 Reviews)
March 4th, 2018 | 25 replies

Release Date: 03/02/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: “All is a riddle, and the key to a riddle...is another riddle.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

The dense, driving bass riffs that regularly coat the backgrounds of these songs automatically give one an idea of the driving and dark melodies that Ed Schrader’s Music Beat builds a number of their songs upon. These fuzzy basslines are accompanied by tight percussion, vibrant vocals, and synthetic drones. All these pieces contribute to sharp and engagingly strange compositions, full of flavorful variations, which is found in the tracklist’s pre-planned eclecticness, and impressive precision. Each song, from the frantic “Dizzy Devil” to the sweepingly ethereal “Humbucker Blues,” is different enough to give an interesting take on the group’s style, but still cohesive enough to portray a consistent theme of mystery.

This theme is built from the haunting melodies of “Tom,” “Wave To The Water,” and “Culebra,” and the intense, high octane post-punk tracks like “Rust,” “Dunce,” and “Riddles.” The large amounts of variety on this record highlight the uncertainty of the experience. It’s adrenaline-pumping in some moments, yet harrowing in others. Ed Schrader’s Music Beat also has a tendency to wear its influences on its sleeve, from new wave like Modern English, Alien Sex Fiend, and Joy Division to noise rock like Sonic Youth and The Jesus Lizard. Rather than relying on these influences, as many do, Music Beat manages to mold them into something that feels fresh and invigorating, without losing the very obvious homages to past genres. This darkly lit romp uses these elements from the past, as well as contemporary ideas, to craft an experience that embodies the previously mentioned mystery, creating dream-like experiences such as “Radiation Kid.”

It’s passionate and grandiose, yet it backs up its bold feelings with interesting ideas and engaging foundations, such as the previously mentioned bass work and the complex drumming. The group proves that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, they know how to use various genres to create bountiful atmospheres and enthralling themes of life and how frustratingly hazy it can be. Riddles can only be described as a passion project fueled by anger, sadness, confusion, and hope. It's a tumultuous ride that reflects the the life and times of both Ed Schrader and Devlin Rice, while also maintaining a complex system of stimulating themes and experiments. The record feels like a dream, but it also feels extremely real.

Profanatica Rotting Incarnation of GodThaiboy Digital Legendary Member
Acid Reign The Age Of EntitlementBomb the Music Industry! To Leave or Die in Long Island
Grim (JPN) Lunatic HouseWeezer Pinkerton

March 4th 2018

Stream/Purchase the album here: https://edschradersmusicbeat.bandcamp.com

Thanks to clavier for providing input.

These guys are great, can’t wait to see them on tour.

clavier
March 4th 2018

glad i could be of service!

SteakByrnes

Nice review Bloon friend

March 4th 2018

Look at that HARD 4 avg. I wish this were longer, but it owns. Thanks for shedding light on something I surely would have missed out on.

darkly lit romp

Perfect description.

Nocte
March 4th 2018

This is a nice bit of text this

March 4th 2018

I’m mad at you for beating me to a review but realistically I wasn’t gonna do one. this album is so ace and it gets better each listen. 4.5 / 5 potential

Digging: Christopher Tignor - A Light Below

Thanks Guys.

I really hope that this album gets more attention, really good stuff.

Dewinged
March 5th 2018

Damn Bloon, easily sold on this, great entry for the comp dude. Good luck!

Digging: Chelsea Wolfe - Birth of Violence

oodlesofnoodles
March 5th 2018

Listening now, this album is actually fantastic. Worth mentioning that Dan Deacon was the producer for the album, I was worried that his influence was going to be more apparent but it's pretty subtle.

Seagull is my top track so far

Culebra is so good.

March 5th 2018

Riddles and Dizzy Devil are both fantastic, love the drum roll that starts the latter, like a revving engine

DoofusWainwright

19991 Comments

Only listened once so far, def good enough that I'm going to listen to the entire discog soon as I get the chance.

March 5th 2018

Real talk, dizzy devil has me super pumped when I hear it.

@dewinged best of luck to you as well :D

March 6th 2018

upped my rating, new favourite of the year so far

March 6th 2018

Yeah, this fucker came out of nowhere.

March 6th 2018

Might up my rating as well, idk

SirArthur6
March 9th 2018

The only blemish on this album is Wave to the Water, the rest of this album is pure gold.

March 9th 2018

I like that one. The only thing that kinda bugs me is how repetitive Dizzy Devil is, but that's kind of the point.

2 weeks and I'm probably go to see these guys if all works out.

March 9th 2018

I really like wave to the water, it’s a needed respite after the first four tracks