One Step From the Edge

by Scuro F. STAFF
March 3rd, 2018 | 16 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: *nudge*

For someone such as myself, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to avoid pulling cheesy metaphors from album and artist monikers while discussing certain acts, particularly when the parallels are so unintentionally appropriate. This Greek sextet, for instance, are frustratingly close to delivering something truly impressive with their debut release. Featuring an intriguing mesh of styles, everything from classic metal and thrash sensibilities to melodic metalcore leanings, this project is absolutely drowning in potential. The danger with casting such a wide net, however, is that you run a higher risk of getting snagged. Competing styles tend to clash, and this difficulty is something that One Step From the Edge battle against. One might hypothesise that, in this respect at least, it might be favourable to take a leap of faith over the edge rather than continuing to ride it.

Now, make no mistake, Beneath the Surface remains enjoyable from start to finish and is positively brimming with exciting ideas, each pulled off with practised ease. Numbering among the praiseworthy qualities of this record includes the surprisingly organic transitions between various sections, as well as the enduring inventiveness of every track. It's clear that despite the youthful existence of this particular project, the members within are far from green, showcasing not only their individual talents but also a collective ambition to push the boundaries. Quite often the unusual amalgamation of genres yields novel results, and in league with the entertaining solos this album becomes a real treat.

That said, there are areas where the band seem unsure of what they want to be. Of particular concern are some issues in the vocal department - not necessarily with the performance itself, which provides a lot of character, but in terms of implementation and mixing. There's almost a tug-of-war occurring in which the old-school techniques and production of the wails, growls, operatic singing etc. yearn for an era that won't relinquish itself to the crisp modernity of the instrumental side. Slight recording issues are to be expected in a debut, and this can mostly account for why the vocal performances often sit awkwardly in the mix, but there are some further stylistic incongruities that pop up on occasion and mar an otherwise decent groove.

All else considered, One Step From the Edge seem to be on a promising trajectory with a bright creative future ahead of them. Although the group feel a little unsure of their sonic identity and continue to probe tentatively in a handful of different directions, ultimately this band displays a remarkable passion, with a coherent intent to create something unique. It will be very interesting to see where these Grecians develop over the next few years, and what else will emerge from beneath the surface.

Jonathan Davis Black LabyrinthMajesty of Silence Zu Dunkel Für Das Licht
Dream Troll The Witch's CurseLautreamont Silence of the Deceased
WuW Rien ne nous sera épargnéSlugdge Esoteric Malacology
3.3

March 3rd 2018

Check these guys out here: https://onestepfromtheedge.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-surface

Album is a lot of fun and very well performed for the most part, a few things hold it back from excellence though.

Digging: Shining (SWE) - X - Varg Utan Flock

Papa Universe
March 3rd 2018

When the puns just write themselves, aye?

Digging: Melody's Echo Chamber - Bon Voyage

March 3rd 2018

You know it. I fight the temptation on a good day, sometimes you've got to accept there's no escaping.

Papa Universe
March 3rd 2018

So instead of writing a pun like "They're one step from the edge of greatness", you decided to write that first paragraph.

I applaud your strength, good sir.

RogueNine

Summary made me smile.

teamster
March 3rd 2018

Great review man - you made me curious.

Cheers (:

NocteDominum

Would I dig this?

March 4th 2018

I have a feeling you would. Only one way to find out ;) The title track will tell you all you need to know.

Ecnalzen
March 4th 2018

Thrashy metalcore, you say? I am interested in this.

Ebola
March 5th 2018

This sounds pretty awesome. Your description calls Unearth to mind, and anything that resembles Unearth must be doing at least something right.

Ebola
March 5th 2018

This first song is all over the place, but it's intriguing at the very least. Can't say I've heard something that sounds exactly like it. I really don't dig the production on the vocals.

March 6th 2018

Neither do I. And yeah, whole album is pretty messy but there's something promising about them. Hoping they'll find more cohesion in the future.

March 6th 2018

I'M ABOUT TO BREAK

Digging: DJ Seinfeld - Time Spent Away From U

Ecnalzen
March 11th 2018

I am really enjoying this.

BurnMyThighs
March 11th 2018

i'm one step from the edge and I'm thinkin...

maybe six feet, aint so far down

m/m/