Basalte
Vertige

by former sputnik's home post-punk maester USER (112 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2018 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Despair has come. Laugh in its face.

There is nothing typically Black Metal in themes of this album (or so I believe, my French is not perfect). Basalte, the Canadian macabre Lo-Fi extravaganza, decided against delving into the common for the genre hate-praise of mundanity and life’s brutality, generic forest yelps or canticles for Satan. Basalte went and created a record that’d reflect our world the way Michel Gondry addresses reality, by grandly ***ing with it. Indeed, while not being a precedent of a typically thematic Blackened Death Metal, Vertige is darker and more mind-twisting than most others.

Four songs and over fifty minutes of material, but it swings by seemingly in a snap of fingers. That is not something you see every day, but this album is so concise and cohesive that it accomplishes jamming 50 minutes into one, fun and constantly intrigued listen. The way with which the band manipulates the sound layers is also noteworthy. Sometimes a guitar would pop out or the drums will get increasingly louder and everything around more distorted. It keeps everything fresh and still pumps you up for further listening.

And each song is also sure to delve into different genre directions. The opener “Ce que le corps doit au sol” is your classic black metal invigoration with monstrous instrumental performance and a gorgeous post-metal-like melody. Meanwhile, the follower “La sclérose coule dans ses veines” is more of a gloomy doom-death cut that just strikes with utter dystopian magnitude. The track also presents a lot of emphasis on percussion. “Acouphène” is a doom track in a more classic sense, its instrumentation often delves into that twanging old-school sound, but many a time rapidly turns into a complete beat-down chaos, which we grew accustom to in the track before. Then “Éclat de verre” comes into play, where we are suddenly confronted by the most dismal atmosphere on the album (somehow, that is possible). That song just feels like the most solitary night walk through a crime-ridden town.

If anything can be held against the album, it’s the sometimes overlong, drone-like, lo-fi, obscure intros and outros. Then again, Basalte jump from one genre to another, from style to style, from one instrumental performance type to a whole new one in each track and sometimes even within one track alone. A strange interlude, which is an obvious trick to make the following explosive part of the album have even bigger punch, is forgivable. Vertige is not a dystopia per se. It is a reflection of current reality and if that seems nightmarish to you, then there is no hope for you. The rest of us, we’ll just go ahead and have ourselves a session with this mirror of the world. Peace be.

St. Vincent MassEducationBehemoth I Loved You at Your Darkest
Grauzone GrauzoneDamien Jurado The Horizon Just Laughed
Protomartyr ConsolationThe Ex Aural Guerrilla

behold: https://basalte.bandcamp.com/album/vertige

Digging: Ex-Isles - Luxury Mass

TheSpirit
February 22nd 2018

Nice. I was thinking about reviewing this but I haven't found the time lately.

This is definitely a very diverse and dense listen, but there are quite a few uplifting moments that really hit it home for me.

Good review, pos.

February 22nd 2018

You're gonna have like 60 4.5s from 2018 at this rate. Nevertheless I will probably check this. Pos

Digging: The Necromancers - Of Blood and Wine

February 22nd 2018

That's for all the people who say that I hate everything I listen to. I like to like things...

February 22nd 2018

And I feel like I'm the only one around here with 4.5=8/10 correlation.

February 22nd 2018

Yeah that's weird. You do you though

clavier
February 22nd 2018

quebec black metal? sounds like i must check. (et c'est gratuit aussi)

also, the lyrics are rather sombre, aren't they (hopelessness, dead bodies, endless torment, etc.)

Digging: They Grieve - I Made My Sacrifice Accordingly

avec plaisir

and the lyrics are black metal at its most skeletal, i found. as though it isn't exactly a vicious brutality galore, but more of a closed-down, obsessive brooding

Dewinged
February 22nd 2018

Sweet review Uni, I really liked what I heard of this. VertiPOS! (you asked for it).

Digging: Ancestors - Suspended in Reflections

MarsKid
February 22nd 2018

Good stuff, album deserved a review. Wish I could like it more than I do.

Digging: Black Peaks - All That Divides

February 23rd 2018

Dewi! How could you miss out on saying POSalte?!

Dewinged

Fuck me!

MarsKid
February 23rd 2018

That rating chart is a beaut

February 23rd 2018

can two people 5 it, please?

TheSpirit

i'll 5 it if you 5 it bb

February 23rd 2018

no, we need to even out the rating chart for pure satisfaction

Dinosaur
February 23rd 2018

This has been on my list...Nice to see another bm album gain some traction around here

Essence
February 27th 2018

wasn't really moved by this whatsoever

NocteDominum
March 22nd 2018

Missed this album, putting it into circulation now

March 29th 2018

Hmmm. Jamming this now but idk how I feel about it yet. I don't think we agree much on black metal Papi.