Photay
Onism

by Chortles USER (17 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Drawing the shades

Onism is nothing which it seems to be. It’s not the swath of bleary, overcast skies that its monochrome cover would suggest, nor does it ever actually feel like an apt representation of the title it bears. As a concept, Onism defines the frustration one feels of being stuck in their own body and the dread of being bound to the arbitrary physical space around them by that feeling. The realization of only ever experiencing a slice of a fraction of what the world has to offer; an isolation by something inherent in only being able to occupy one space. A forced insularity. You are here.

But the album Onism is not that; Photay seems unconcerned with the actual concept or, perhaps more likely, actively rejects its negative connotations entirely. His work here is generally such that it seems almost universal in its reach, what with its watercolor swirl of diverse electronic styles and erratic bursting of textures from every which way. However, it’s probably most difficult to take the title at face value simply because his music is presented in such a lighthearted, imaginative manner at every turn. Take “The Everyday Push,” where the joyful interplay between bouncy xylophone melodies and laid-back drum clacks moves the song forward, lazily, happily, until it’s threatened by the entrance of an off-kilter version of itself. He gradually adjusts this new pattern in and out of focus until a wild clash of horns and distortion suddenly resets it all back to a cheerfully indifferent stroll, as if nothing ever happened. Photay utilizes moments like this throughout Onism in a way which seems to portray the oddities of his world with such carefree whimsy, like spending a sunny day at any ordinary park, just sitting, observing passersby – imagining yourself in each persons’ shoes and conjuring fantastical stories about their daily lives.

The outliers to this formula lie in the moody sway of “Storm” and its evocative follow-up, “Outré Lux.” The latter contains the sole feature on Onism (credits to Madison McFerrin), which makes for a gorgeous centerpiece to break things up. McFerrin’s voice injects the song with the qualities of some old blues number – something starry-eyed and wistful, but long forgotten, told under the heat of a bright spotlight; like a single body illuminated in an otherwise sparsely lit club, a place sheltered from time and unaffected by the bustling world around it. It’s a song of romance and confusion, transposed to the here and now via Photay’s delicate blend of woozy synth pulses with glitchy, spattered beats. It sounds like some sort of extruded piece of Onism, sticking out defiantly by means of its own obliqueness, yet in a way which represents its surrounding context rather than overshadowing it. Ultimately, the song is an embodiment of his own talent, serving as both a characterization of his ability to layer unlike elements so seamlessly and an embrace of a style and presence which seems wholly inimitable.

Thinking back, perhaps my original assessment of his titling of the album is all wrong though. Maybe it’s not about ignorance or rejection, but simply acceptance; accepting and embracing our place in the world, our own insignificance, our relationships, experiences, struggles and successes, losses and gains. A reminder not to worry so much, that there’s already so much more life and imagination to take from our everyday worlds than we may realize – so why not face it with a smile" Besides, being stuck in one place isn’t so bad when something like Onism is on.

Laurel Halo Raw Silk Uncut WoodPrime Minister of Doom Mudshadow Propaganda
AL-90 CODE​-915913Wanderwelle Lost in a Sea of Trees
Susanne Sundfor Music For People In TroubleCeremony (USA-VA) Rocket Fire

Dewinged
February 21st 2018

Happy this got a review, really nice job Chorts, that para about Outre Lux made my day. The song is incredible.

Digging: Tomberlin - At Weddings

butcherboy
February 21st 2018

beauty of a review, always lovely to share the main page with you, Chorts!

Digging: A.C. Temple - Blowtorch

brainmelter

pos'd

Digging: Banana Head - Phones the Public

BlushfulHippocrene
February 21st 2018

I know I've heard a few of these songs, and I recall them being as beautiful as this review.

Digging: Jazz Cartier - Fleurever

Conmaniac
February 21st 2018

yesss soo good thank you for introducing me to this and reviewing it!!

February 21st 2018

thanks, all! dewi it really is wonderful.... such an aura that one has!!! frick

yw con ;-) glad it clicked!

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Strata

Dewinged
February 21st 2018

I rec'd it to Pots last year and I hope the rascal jammed it. Pots, where are thou? I summon thee!

clavier
February 21st 2018

this is such a lovely review, chortles

Lucid
February 22nd 2018

Seriously great review, best I've read for this record. "Bombogenesis" makes me want to take on the world, favorite here.

February 22nd 2018

Great review as usual chorturtle

February 22nd 2018

thank you friends. i get that from this whole thing Lucid, it's the biggest pat on the back

also pls only refer to me as chorturtle now

February 22nd 2018

lol I was pretty happy with that one

Rowan5215
February 22nd 2018

chorturtle is my favourite evolution of squirtle

lovely review man

Digging: Foxing - Nearer My God

February 22nd 2018

Exact line of thinking I had, row

February 22nd 2018

i would be so lucky, those mid-evolutions are underappreciated. they're all attitude tbh

cheers rowa

Conmaniac
February 22nd 2018

oh absolutely, chorturtle is somehow even more adorable sounding than chortles

February 22nd 2018

and even reversible as chortortle, there's no downside