Night Verses
Copper Wasp

by Casus belli CONTRIBUTOR (80 Reviews)
February 18th, 2018 | 36 replies

Release Date: 01/19/2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: And reintroducing....

The complete badassery of Copper Wasp begets a troubling question; was Doug holding his old band back? Copper Wasp is Night Verses untethered, playing with an abandon they only hinted at with their debut Lift Your Existence and curiously bottled up with their follow up Into the Vanishing Light. This short, three song teaser takes the unbridled energy of their debut and artfully infuses pockets of breathable space throughout to create a product that technically marvels without exhausting the listener with its momentum. The chemistry between these three is enviable and after the misguided experiment that was Into the Vanishing Light, Copper Wasp immediately exudes a rejuvenated aura. In particular guitarist Nick DePirro flourishes with his unique effect-laden approach to guitar play, presenting the most intense riffs heard yet out of the group. Night Verses has always embraced technology in creating their signature sound and Copper Wasp utilizes it in such a way that you don’t even realize how often they show up. This clever suppression of the constant electronic enhancements is in no small part due to the fact that even without them, the music is phenomenally written. It’s hard to notice the small stuff when the big picture is so overtly attractive. At only three songs, Copper Wasp teases and teases well. Apparently freed from the burden of writing for vocally driven music, the group’s new sound now has fresh scratches on the surface and a clear path for in depth exploration. And to answer the question from earlier, Doug skill on the mic was never in question and Doug himself was not holding this band back, but vocals were.

This is the music Night Verses needs be making

The Number Twelve Looks Like You Wild GodsRussian Girlfriends In The Parlance of Our Times
Avantdale Bowling Club Avantdale Bowling ClubTowkio WWW
Bibio Phantom BrickworksThe Ongoing Concept Places

February 18th 2018

Trying to get back into this writing shite. A 3 song EP was probably not the way to go though. The group has my favorite drummer and guitarist making rock music of any sort though right now.

Digging: Crimeapple - Viridi Panem

February 18th 2018

Hmm... I wonder if I would be into this band. I have become weary of both post hardcore and alt rock tags as of late, tho, but that post rock addition is appealing.

February 18th 2018

this aint post rock in any way homie. their last album kinda was I guess. this however is different than any other post-hardcore imo.

clavier
February 18th 2018

can confirm that this fortunately does not conform to my expectations for post-hardcore tags, really unique sound (there's a sort of chill coming from the electronic aspects)

Digging: Common Holly - When I say to you Black Lightning

February 18th 2018

Ah, can't always trust them genre tags on sputnik.

So, have they said anything about when the actual album for this will be released?

AsleepInTheBack
February 18th 2018

fantastic review and damn this is a fun little ride. eschews the genre tag for sure.

supremejelly
February 18th 2018

Nice, glad someone made a good review for this. Album rips

Digging: Submotion Orchestra - Finest Hour

MarsKid
February 18th 2018

This was pretty enjoyable. If it was longer I would've been able to really get a grip on the ideas they try to develop here, but as it is they're crammed into a short time span.

February 19th 2018

yeah it teases a little too well.

MarsKid
February 19th 2018

If nothing else, I'm eager to hear what comes next

Dewinged
February 19th 2018

Nice, you are still in shape Calc. I enjoyed Night Verses a lot so will give this a prompt check.

Digging: The Stargazer Lilies - Occabot

February 19th 2018

asleep and dewinged thank you both

Piglet
February 19th 2018

oshit this is probs fireemoji times three

jmh886
February 19th 2018

my prayers were answered. a review! vice wave is one of the best instrumental tracks i've ever heard. shit is soooo dope.

jmh886
February 19th 2018

drummer absolutely shreds on this.

decisions
February 19th 2018

Good release, but I found it a little forgettable. I liked them better with Doug *shrug*

Divaman
February 19th 2018

From what I read, these three guys have played together for 10 years in different bands before they ever hooked up with Robinson the former vocalist. I don't blame him -- he's a pretty good vocalist, and he did some good work with The Sleeping. But this EP does feel like they're taking a joy in the music that I didn't necessarily hear on the prior two LPs.

Digging: Bayside - Interrobang

momentsofclarity
February 20th 2018

Phenomenal, as expected, but I’ll always miss Doug’s vocals.

February 20th 2018

I do like the stuff I have heard with vocals, but this is pretty cool too. I definitely will be interested to hear a full album from them like this.

SitarHero
February 22nd 2018

Saw these dudes live last night and was blown away. Feels like loads of Tool influence, but without seeming derivative, like how Karnivool and Rishloo sometimes sound. It's also nice to hear the drums and bass get some of the spotlight in a technical prog metal band.