U.S. Girls
In A Poem Unlimited

by former sputnik's home post-punk maester USER (110 Reviews)
February 17th, 2018 | 35 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: These girls just wanna have fun.

Meg Remy. What a unique perspective at musical craft does she have" This is quite hard to define, to be frank. It is not a typical indie pop we grew to recognise, yet it is nowhere close to anything else, be it rock music in general or other pop subgenres. So is it one of those undefinable art-pop nonpareils" I suppose so. It really is hard to define. That tangible softness you’d expect in a typical indie or dream pop release is there, but the sonic production and the fairy tale like song-writing twist that around.

“Velvet 4 Sale” is the album’s opener and it presents a seemingly standard and relatively mild pop pleasantness, but all throughout an oddity creeps in from the distance. As if something in the song’s atmosphere was feeding off its blissful nature, eventually bursting into dramatic guitar fuzz. That visceral, screeching guitar work will be of essence on this record, as the following “Rage of Plastics” makes clear right from the get-go, where the very same guitar sound blasts out its shout to what would paradoxically turn out to be a calm and soft track. And talking about softness with a surprising arrangement, first single off of the album, “M.A.H.”, is reminiscent of classic ABBA-ian pop chart-toppers. Don’t be discouraged by the initial off-colour appearance of “Rosebud”, for its true flavour is revealed only upon repeated visit. Neither should you feel fear of “Incidental Boogie” and its showy near-banger aspirations. Both of those songs, while marginally different, are much like U.S. Girls’ entire aesthetic striking as outlandish wildcards, but with an odd familiarity to them. And back to the tangibly sweet vibe, “L-Over” presents a poppy, tuneful and naively pure atmosphere. Interestingly enough, the following “Pearly Gates” also strikes with poppy tunefulness, but this time with slightly sinister, desperate undertones. Then “Poem” pops up all electronic and danceable and the closing epic “Time” comes off as the track to define this album, equal parts pretty, as it is purposefully choppy and wild.

If anything should be apparent from all this it’s that this album on paper sounds a little out of place. And while to a certain, most technical extent that is the case, it also makes up for that in song-writing and songs’ beautiful individuality. Meg Remy truly did a great job exploring every in and out of this very homely-feeling, adventure-aching, grounded, but otherworldly piece of niceness-quintessence style she managed to dream up for herself, where the guitars often seem to be replacing a saxophone, until the actual saxophone kicks in at the last minute. So much for straightforwardness. Let there be weirdness.

Grauzone GrauzoneDamien Jurado The Horizon Just Laughed
Protomartyr ConsolationThe Ex Aural Guerrilla
serpentwithfeet soilDave Matthews Band Come Tomorrow

Half Free

February 16th 2018

sorry, if this feels a bit messy. i'm tired, gonna go lie me ol' bones down

Digging: Chain Cult - Isolated

rabidfish
February 16th 2018

'If anything should be apparent from all this it’s that this album on paper sounds a little out of place. And while to a certain, most technical extent that is the case, it also makes up for that in song-writing and songs’ beautiful individuality. '

100% agree'd. Songs are all individually good, some are even great. Sometimes they don't flow nicely into each other, but that's not a big issue imo. At least not here.

Digging: Foodman - Aru Otoko No Densetsu

February 16th 2018

well, Meg was never the one to be concerned with a whole immersive album experience. she strikes me as one of those people who just like to make music.

rabidfish
February 16th 2018

to be honest that's a good thing. Trying to create a 'holistic album-listening experience' can really take effort and energy that's better put elsewhere. Just write good songs.

Dewinged
February 16th 2018

Good review Uni, in a POS unlimited.

She has quite a singular voice.

Digging: Emma Ruth Rundle - On Dark Horses

TheFantasticDangler

1990 Comments

ouf, what the fuck happened here. not digging this at all (the generic wah guitar is insufferable)

rly liked half free

this is guud

Digging: Infernal Coil - Within a World Forgotten

Sinternet
February 17th 2018

glad this got a review, great album

Digging: Tragedy - Fury

brandontaylor
February 18th 2018

this is great and i can only see it growing on me

Definitely a grower.

20003 Comments

Similar sort of Bowie worship as Arcade Fire since 'Reflektor' - first impressions, this is ok.

20003 Comments

Ooh, last song is real good - maybe a 3 bump. All will become clear second spin.

Lucid
February 20th 2018

Her singing and songwriting aren't very interesting to me.

20003 Comments

Pretty much. I only really pricked up my ears on the last song.

Might be a grower.

ianblxdsoe
February 21st 2018

band name has me wanting to check lol

Digging: IDLES - Joy as an Act of Resistance

February 24th 2018

Pearly Gates is a banger.

Digging: Monstrosity - The Passage of Existence

NewBallistics
February 26th 2018

I love Velvet 4 Sale and I agree with ^

Everything else I can take or leave. Doesn't exactly leave a huge impression on me.

RadicalEd