Pianos Become the Teeth

by Trebor. STAFF
February 16th, 2018 | 419 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: No pulse

All the songs on Wait For Love bleed together. There’s nothing discernable from track to track, they all have the same clean tone arpeggios and chords, the same low energy singing, the same one-octave melodies - the only thing that sways, changes at all is the drums. Pianos Become The Teeth’s drummer David Haik does some serious heavy lifting. Since every song sounds the same, and songs have no observable structure because of their sameness musically, the drummer is forced to play defining part after defining part, constantly changing up his approach and feeling with every beat change. It’s remarkable and depressing at the same time because such a talented drummer should not have to supplant such bland, lifeless music. And without his varied drumming, this album would be nothing, because it’s almost impossible to convey emotion without some sort of change in sound or dynamics throughout a record.

Abandoning their screamo roots was a mistake. Going into their last record Keep You, Pianos Become The Teeth dropped the screaming vocals, the distortion, and the passion in their music. Their new brand of dynamic-free and biteless indie rock didn’t work on Keep You, and it still doesn’t work on Wait For Love, the only difference is the drummer has learned how to stay afloat in a sea of mediocrity. Kyle Durfey is still incapable of melodic singing, still founders around the same one octave, never alternating in volume, cadence, or pitch - he’s still an emotionless husk of his former self. It’s completely disheartening, thinking about how his passionate screaming on "I’ll Get By" still makes me cry every time, yet every time I listen to their two newest records I’m struggling to stay awake. I don’t know where this band can go from here, and if I could give the drummer a piece of advice, I’d tell him to join a better band.

Mark Kozelek Mark KozelekDr. Octagon Moosebumps
Blessthefall Hard FeelingsMoose Blood I Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore
Rich Brian AmenTiny Moving Parts Swell
3.3
MarsKid (3.5)
While on the road from negative to positive, Pianos Become the Teeth lose a little something along t...

Sebastian (4.5)
A triumph, and an important one at that....

February 16th 2018

This album doesn't deserve one paragraph, but here's two

Digging: Dad Thighs - Easy Listening

2033 Comments

Harsh Treb. Thoughts on the closer Blue? I think you would like that one more than the rest of the album.

February 16th 2018

Dude they all sound the same

JWT155
February 16th 2018

"Kyle Durfey is still incapable of melodic singing, still founders around the same one octave, never alternating in volume, cadence, or pitch - he’s still an emotionless husk of his former self."

And that boys sums up this record. Shame because the music is there for a vocalist who can take chances.

2033 Comments

Blue is the most emotional and sad imo. Much different vibe than the rest of the album, but hey man I hope it grows on ya.

February 16th 2018

I remember Blue boring me slightly less

SteakByrnes
February 16th 2018

I imagine your av was your face the whole time while listening to this

February 16th 2018

yeah, I've heard everything and I'm such a cynical fuck at this point

Man Hiding is so good, with the like half singing/half screaming, and actual distortion and dynamics, I don't know why they didn't just keep going in that direction

2033 Comments

Hiding is one of their best songs for sure. Even an EP of songs like that one would be amazing... Too bad Durfey laid off the skramz.

upintheair
February 16th 2018

I still like this, but no where close to The Lack Long After.

Lefondre
February 16th 2018

Gee whiz this is a bit harsh

#banTreb amirite

good review though. As much I as I like this I understand why people wouldn't. It does get rather samey. Still though, it's a really nice record.

Frippertronics
February 16th 2018

Trebor in with the hype killer !!

Digging: Animal Collective - Tangerine Reef

February 16th 2018

let the thread riots ensue

droppin panties, droppin averages

lol nice

February 16th 2018

Anyone see Black Panther yet?

Best Marvel film yet

will probably see it Monday

coldheaven

Vicious review, my dude

Digging: mewithoutYou - (Untitled) E.P.

MarsKid
February 16th 2018

This was expected I think.