Brigid Mae Power

by Atari STAFF
February 12th, 2018 | 29 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gratitude

The Two Worlds feels completely intimate; an album recovered from the ashes of Brigid Mae Power’s isolation. On her sophomore effort, the Irish songwriter doesn’t seem concerned with being clever or sarcastic; she seems more content just letting the words come out. It’s an album of confessions and often sparsely used instrumentals – backed by the musician's always soaring delivery. Her range doesn’t go unnoticed here. At times, she’s gentle enough to lull a baby to sleep, but at her most passionate, her music carries the weight of a much fiercer current.

Even with a more stripped-down approach at times – the light, sporadic fuzz throughout – the The Two Worlds isn’t without substance or variation. Many tracks make their impact with very little, like the softly placed centerpiece, “Is My Presence In The Room Enough For You"” The track is made up of nothing more than a hushed piano and Brigid’s poignant vocals, sung gently over the light feedback of static. Like several tracks, the fragile and careful piano playing brings to mind true greats like Chopin. On the other hand, several cuts have much more life to them. “Peace Backing Us Up” conjures up visuals of lush scenery: a tune that mixes her Sarah McLachlan-esque vocals with traditional Irish folk melodies. Same goes for the closing track, with its bright accordions and unmistakable Celtic flavor.

On The Two Worlds, Brigid Mae Power makes the most of her minimalistic approach to folk music; it seems no time is wasted. Right off the bat, we get a closer view into her outlook on life: “I’m grateful,” she sings, over and over again on the serene intro to the album. When it’s over, with these words echoing in your mind, you can’t help but feel a bit guilty for not always having such an optimistic tone. Brigid’s music has this effect throughout The Two Worlds, her delivery always possessing a powerful grip on the listener. It’s an album that spells authenticity; one simply uninterested with popular trends or a specific audience. Instead, it comes across as an exclusive portrayal of what’s deeply important to the songwriter. Be it the lush, massive hills of Ireland or her genuine gratitude to just breath fresh air, The Two Worlds seems conjured up from the musician’s most isolated, profound moments. Lucky for us, she’s been kind enough to share them – and man, what gorgeous moments these are.

Spanish Love Songs SchmaltzNatalie Hemby Puxico
Winterfylleth The Hallowing of HeirdomRunaway Brother New Pocket
Alela Diane CuspBedouine Bedouine

February 11th 2018

here I am, attempting to review yet another singer-songwriter release without sounding like a redundant ass

loving the mixture of the more minimal tracks and the more upbeat, Celtic-influenced ones. was hooked the moment I heard " I'm Grateful", and I'm grateful for this album :]

Digging: Trampled By Turtles - Life Is Good On The Open Road

verdant
February 11th 2018

found this record a couple of days ago, and it is incredible ahhhh

will read this later, but i'm sure it's a characteristically lovely read !

Frippertronics

oh lordy

Digging: Animal Collective - Tangerine Reef

February 11th 2018

hey verdant (thought you might dig this)! such a beautiful album

hi Fripp. that bad eh? you might not hate this honestly

February 12th 2018

seems like a lady I would like

all staff comments waddup

Digging: Dad Thighs - Easy Listening

February 12th 2018

Honestly I was surprised by how good this is. Not your every day sad girl singing to the wind, this is something else. Tx Atari for the rec.

And sorry to break the Staff chain ):

Digging: Tomberlin - At Weddings

Conmaniac

hey its atari !!

robin

helllllllllllllllll yes

DoofusWainwright

20004 Comments

Good album but, you guessed it, quite darn similar to the first

CaimanJesus

Need to check this

Digging: Foxing - Nearer My God

budgie
February 12th 2018

where did you buy this album? love what i heard anyway.

now you have to review fazerdaze and memoryhouse

InfamousGrouse
February 12th 2018

can't wait to give this a spin

Lucid

Opener is stunning, rest of the record is pretty good. Probably a 3.5 from me

ProjectFreak
February 13th 2018

ooh I'mma need to spin this a few more times. Is My Presence and the closer are lovely. great review too

February 13th 2018

cheers everyone!! agreed the opener is stunning, it immediately hooked me

2 robin sightings in one week?! feeling blessed

February 13th 2018

The opener is bliss, love that droning tempo.

FreddieDelaney31
February 13th 2018

Listening now and yeah w o w that opener

Digging: Dad Thighs - Easy Listening

February 14th 2018

God I love this woman.

DoofusWainwright
February 15th 2018

20004 Comments

Seems a slightly bigger buzz around this album than the debut - are people thinking this is the better album?

Lucid
February 15th 2018

I think that people are just first encountering her with this album