Visigoth
Conqueror's Oath

by PsychicChris USER (197 Reviews)
February 9th, 2018 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: For an album that seems uninterested in (and maybe even opposed to) outdoing its predecessor, Conqueror’s Oath succeeds in doing exactly that and then some.

When listening to Visigoth’s follow-up to 2015’s The Revenant King, the comparably shorter length is more than likely the first thing you’ll notice. Conqueror’s Oath is about twenty minutes shorter than its predecessor and there are only three songs that go above the six minute mark, leaving behind a slew of three to five minute rockers. This raises concerns of a rushed or watered down effort, but the reality is that Visigoth has never been this focused. In fact, I may not be hesitating when I refer to Conqueror’s Oath as one of the greatest traditional metal albums of all time.

The Revenant King may be a thrilling ride for metal fans, but Conqueror’s Oath is a straight up fun album. A turn to shorter songs results in an emphasis on driving tempos, energetic musicianship, and catchy choruses. The band didn’t introduce any dumbed down hard rockisms or lowest common denominator party hard lyrics, but it is pretty amusing how a song like “Salt City” can make Mormon Central sound like the most exciting place on earth.

It also helps that the Utah classic metallers retain their established epic tone throughout the album. Much of that can be attributed to the powerful baritone bellow of vocalist Jake Rogers, whose layering on choruses like “Warrior Queen” and “Blades in the Night” makes them even more infectious. Fortunately, the rest of the band doesn’t slouch as the rhythms stay tight and the guitars continue providing the bright, wintery atmosphere that matches the band’s recurring art motifs.

But at the end of the day, the tight songwriting is key to this album’s success. A majority of the tracks may be faster paced and the steady battering runs the risk of select songs not leaving as deep an impression as they should. Fortunately each song on here has a distinct hook and the nonstop delivery ends up creating a strong momentum that leaves the listener as excitable as they may be out of breath.

For an album that seems uninterested in (and maybe even opposed to) outdoing its predecessor, Conqueror’s Oath succeeds in doing exactly that and then some. The balance of fun and focus is extraordinarily on point as the catchiness keeps things from being taken too seriously while the epic delivery keeps the songs sharp. I get concerns about possibly overhyping this album, but my enthusiasm remains the same with every listen. It’s an early contender for 2018’s album of the year, and I’ll be quite excited to see what could possibly top it.

Highlights:

Warbringer War Without EndMike LePond's Silent Assassins Pawn and Prophecy
Machine Head CatharsisBlue Oyster Cult Tyranny and Mutation

FrozenVain

Alright review, pos'd.

"The Revenant King may be a thrilling ride for metal fans, but Conqueror’s Oath is a straight up fun album."

I don't get this sentence.

Just checked Steel and Silver on youtube and this is deffo some above average metal based on the riffs, but wth is going on with the toms. I dunno if youtube is compressing the sound or something but they sound awful.

Nice track overall tho.

Sabrutin
February 9th 2018

This is exactly what I felt while listening to the singles. The Revenant King had longer and more unpredictable songs, while this one seems less interesting and the song lengths make me fear that I'm right. Also the vocal hooks of the singles seemed less effective, not having for example the "somewhat kinda emotional" edge of Blood Sacrifice.

Anyway, gonna jam. Pos'd

TrveBarbarian
February 9th 2018

Assuming this will grow like the last one did.

Voivod

Album stream: http://visigothofficial.bandcamp.com/album/conquerors-oath

Derivative ah, yet album brings the classic metal chills.

Digging: Straylings - Wild Medicine

Sabrutin
February 10th 2018

Gonna need a few spins to make up my mind about this. First listen seemed to confirm my expectations though. Still a pretty good album nevertheless, solid band. I wish them a lengthy career, the charisma of the frontman begs for it

rockandmetaljunkie

Will jam soon

rockandmetaljunkie
February 10th 2018

Debut was really good. I wonder if they managed to keep the quality at the same levels.

ScuroFantasma
February 11th 2018

Nice write-up, the little I've heard form this sounded promising

Digging: Usurpress - Interregnum

Piglet
February 14th 2018

little formulaic for my taste, but still a real solid record m/

JWT155
February 14th 2018

Fun record so far, definitely has it's moments.