Xylouris White
Mother

by house cat STAFF
February 8th, 2018 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: the one with the weird guitar in it

I’ve been overseas twice, both times as a child eternally grateful for a responsible, relatively affluent adult’s pay-check. The US played host to our family the first time. Give or take a stroll down the Vegas Strip, the place is perfect for kids; I ate too much, found God in theme parks, pretended I knew all there was to know about the NBA. The bucket list, freshly started and marked by naivete, became an item shorter.

The second and last time I boarded a plane overseas, it was destined for Europe during the winter of 2012. Older now: more receptive to new ideas, new cultures; in which a walk through Jardin des Tuileries was just as exciting as a sojourn at Disneyland. It instilled in me a desire for new experiences, one that I haven’t managed to truly satiate since.

Now I don’t have the money for travel. Maybe if I sold my laptop, my car, my guitar, but no -- for the time being, I’m stuck here (“stuck” may be too harsh a word, for a town all too understanding of my need for space), picking up cultural touchstones from my bedroom. It’s a much less effective method, a facsimile of understanding, but it’s all I’ve got.

But I don’t think that’s why I can’t pinpoint Mother, the most recent output from Greek/Australian duo Xylouris White. It’s a record both anachronistic and anatopistic -- vaguely like this and vaguely like that. In Media Res sounds like it could’ve been kicked up with the dust on a busy street in Dubai, and the soulful timbre of George Xylouris’ voice in Spud’s Garden would sound at home amidst wedding festivities literally anywhere on the Balkan Peninsula, circa whenever.

The scope of its influence encompasses the globe, despite the fact that the record sets its feet firmly in the traditions of Greek folk music. Xylouris’ primary instrument is the laouto -- a fascinating member of the lute family originating in Greece, and its tone is resonant, singing out with a rasp. The fret-buzz is as important to the sound palette as the notes themselves, which is to say that Xylouris’ style is one that feels travelled, in the same way corrosion and bruising adds character and value to the body of a guitar.

It’s giving this record too much to say it’s truly transportative, that it takes me places, but points for trying. Only Love is at least immersive -- a sprint around the world in less than eighty days, punctuated by some tight, nimble playing on the part of both Xylouris and drummer Jim White. But a word on White: I think his is a style that adapts, like any good rhythm section should, to the musician it supports. There are traces of Dirty Three still in his drumming: he plays loose, disappearing and reappearing in barely discernible patterns, but the foundation is there. More swaying net than concrete floor.

The union between the two musicians (one entrenched in Cretan folk and medieval music, the other in instrumental rock and post-punk) is the alchemy which makes this record both structurally cohesive yet subtly and, somewhat contrarily, diffuse. These two know each other well, but together they write songs that are fleet-footed, skipping through foreign spaces as quickly as you can spell out their names. While they move hurriedly, they still manage the time to borrow details, souvenirs, from the communities in their whirlwind path.

No, I don’t see another overseas trip on the horizon. Mother will have to do.

DJ Koze knock knockGrouper Grid of Points
Many Rooms There is a Presence HereLack the Low One Eye Closed
The Vexing Grimoire The Vexing GrimoireHoof Glove Hoof Glove

Papa Universe
February 8th 2018

"one entrenched in Cretan folk and medieval music, the other in instrumental rock and post-punk"

this i need to listen to then

Digging: Slow Bloom - Hex Hex Hex

""""""world""""""

Lucid
February 8th 2018

Enjoyed the wandering and reminiscent tone here, your gentle writing is always a pleasure to read.

BlushfulHippocrene
February 8th 2018

This reminds me a lot of your older reviews, very warm and simple. Listened to a bit of Dirty Three and they are good

Digging: Sloppy Jane - Willow

February 8th 2018

AND GIVE IT UP FOR BLUSHFUL, WHOSE KEEN EDITING EYE SALVAGED THIS FLAMING PILE OF GARBAGE

**crowd hollers and applauds**

dbizzles
February 8th 2018

Hey, this was a very nice little diddy. Cheers.

Digging: The Body - I have fought against it, But I can?t any longer

TheSpirit

great review

verdant, if you don't mind my asking, where are you from?

dbizzles
February 8th 2018

Well, you see, when two people fall in love...

TheSpirit

oh great....

this is the seventh birbs and bees convo i've had today

Frippertronics
February 8th 2018

Some say he was borne from nothing at all, a wunderkind of immaculacy.

Digging: Soundtrack (Anime) - Now and Then, Here and There: Official Soundtrack

i am from Nowhere, Australia

Papa Universe
February 8th 2018

hey, that's my hometown. didn't know you were from Western Oz too..

Winesburgohio
February 8th 2018

lovely review obviously -- you know i can't resist the personal touch expounded into something bigger, more enveloping -- but i'd avoid the "World Music" label, even if you're obviously aware of how fraught it is. better to make a few google searches and really pin it down than rely on something so nebulous, especially when the rest of the review is so specific, is my take!!! thanks

Digging: Alban Berg - Violin Concerto

Dewinged
February 8th 2018

Of all the reviews that I expected for this site this is the one I expected the less.

Props to you for (beautifully) covering this one, Jack.

Digging: Grayceon - IV

RadicalEd
February 9th 2018

fantastic review. really intrigued. Will check.

Digging: DJ Healer - Nothing 2 Loose

AsleepInTheBack
February 9th 2018

neat, quirky review mate. sounds like an interesting listen.

thx all

will work something out re: Winesburg CC™ when i'm not so indisposed

Lucid
February 9th 2018

world music is a garbage racist term. i like to think the single quotes connotate skepticism in the review, but getting rid of it altogether is better

February 9th 2018

definitely a healthy dose of skepticism involved, sardonicism even

Conmaniac