My Father's Son
Heart of Wood

by ramon. CONTRIBUTOR (39 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2018 | 11 replies

Release Date: 2016 | Tracklist

Review Summary: dying’s the easy part

I don’t really know much about Mark Kulmala. He resides in a cultural crossroad; the mighty Montreal. He has a bushy, proud, all-Canadian beard and a cat or so. He posts all sorts of cosy, humblingly quiet experiences to his Facebook page: a gig in Ontario where he thanks every participant, a smile next to a gussied up Claus with the caption “I’m so stoked that I finally got to meet Santa. Great guy. Great style”, and an appropriately corny consumption of Mountain Dew atop a mountain (#dewthedew, remember it). Mark Kulmala is unrelentingly ordinary and is completely honest about it. He plays an acoustic guitar in E standard and possibly throws a capo on it from time to time. And maybe that’s what makes him so terrifying because when someone so painfully ordinary can throw a line like If I die before you die will you remember me into such simple compositions without any semblance of force, I’m almost inclined to believe Mark Kulmala has lived.

It kinda confuses me, really. His folksy tunes are bare and easy; it’d be straightforward enough to emulate his sound in a few minutes with some basic strumming and a stronger southern emphasis on my Rs. What I couldn’t replicate with any degree of accuracy would be the honesty in which he details his tragedies. The awkward fumbling at the end of “Dying” as his voice degrades out of tune feels ordinary. There isn’t a powerful set of lungs forcing forth words like You said “Son, the dying’s the easy part / It’s living with the ghost of what you’ve done / That will haunt your heart” into existence. Part of me wonders if this album should even exist in the public world for unknowing and ignorant people such as myself to remark upon; this intimate mess of unremarkable music feels tied absolutely and completely to Mark Kulmala.

Heart of Wood is tired, and simple, and rustic, and it doesn’t care if it relishes in tedium. It’d be so easy to tear a new one in the lack of individuality but I couldn’t imagine Mark Kulmala writing this album in any other way. Every lyric rhymes with often somewhat comical consequence, and every song sounds like that one other folk song. And I think that might just be okay. I don’t get the idea that he is particularly tormented but I’m almost inclined to believe Mark Kulmala has lived. And while elements of hope do pervade, I think one look at his Facebook page is enough to know he continues to live in gratitude and in love. Mark Kulmala has lived a human life and has chosen to do and be better. I don’t think that’s a standard I’ve reached but it is most certainly something to strive for.

My feet in the ground, I pounded them down
Grew taller than any man should
I shed my old flesh and grew a heart of wood

Among The Rocks and Roots Samudra Garba PatheRaime Quarter Turns Over a Living Line
King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard Gumboot SoupMoses Sumney Aromanticism
Snide Remarks Anything But CasualThe Oh Hellos Dear Wormwood

2034 Comments

i like this record but dunno how to relay that so have some nonsense

BlackwaterPork

Nice review Ainsley, mindpos

Digging: Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album

AsleepInTheBack
February 2nd 2018

Damn, I adore this review. Sounds like my kind of folk too

Papa Universe
February 2nd 2018

"He has a bushy, proud, all-Canadian beard and a cat or so"
well, you sold me, sir

Digging: Screaming Females - All At Once

clavier
February 2nd 2018

Wow, this was a gorgeous review

ScuroFantasma
February 2nd 2018

Really good review man, I like the style you went for with this one, really enjoyable read. Too bad I'd probably not dig this at all.

Digging: Usurpress - Interregnum

CugnoBrasso
February 2nd 2018

Leaving this comment so that I won't forget about this.
Lovely read, thank you!

BlushfulHippocrene
February 2nd 2018

Imagine reading this as the artist. I bet he'd blush in gratitude. Fantastic review, Ramon.

Digging: Mappe Of - A Northern Star, A Perfect Stone

thanks guys < 3

AsleepInTheBack
February 3rd 2018

yeah, this is lovely. I do feel like I've heard it all before, though I don't particularly care. It's not shooting for originality and thats fine by me.

February 3rd 2018

2034 Comments

Spot on assessment, glad you like it!