Marmozets
Knowing What You Know Now

2.0
poor

by Dean M CONTRIBUTOR (20 Reviews)
January 31st, 2018 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Bland and Forgettable Marmozets

In 2014, The Weird and Wonderful Marmozets showcased a promising band still trying to get a grasp on their identity, and as a result, it played out like two different bands warring with each other. The first Marmozets were a fierce, inventive post-hardcore band that featured idiosyncratic rhythmic shifts and the captivating vocals of Becca Macintyre, whose dynamic wails and ferocious screams could give Julie Christmas a run for her money. The second Marmozets were a by-the-numbers pop rock band that wrote standard verse-chorus-verse anthems with amateurish lyrics like, “We can do whatever we want/‘Cause we’re born young and free.” Throughout the course of the album, the two styles would clash, one or the other version would gain an upper hand, but Marmozets never settled on who they were. So while Weird and Wonderful demonstrated potential, it remained thoroughly in limbo. Four years later, one of those versions of Marmozets has ultimately emerged victorious, and it’s not the version anyone was rooting for.

Knowing What You Know Now discards nearly every bit of the post-hardcore spirit that made Weird and Wonderful compelling and unique, and doubles down on the pedestrian elements that held it back. The band’s ferocity, including Macintyre’s screaming, is gone. Every song is in a single, standard meter. There are occasional, tiny remnants of the band’s original spark in the guitar work and vocal performance on “Habits” and “Meant to Be,” but they’re still miles away from the arresting heights of “Particle” and “Vibetech.”

Instead, Knowing What You Know Now is firmly the domain of that second version of Marmozets that played simple, unremarkable rock anthems, and without the mathy hardcore to break up the monotony, the flaws of that style become all too apparent. Becca Macintyre’s lyrics have somehow worsened; when they’re not overflowing with trite platitudes like “grass is greener” and “us against the world,” they’re clumsy and incoherent, as the chorus for “Major System Error” neatly demonstrates.

I can see a major system error in you
You think one plus seven-seven-seven makes two
If your story ever, ever, ever, came true
Can you keep it together"

Why is the addressee adding those numbers together, aside from the fact that they fit the measure" What’s going on with the verb tense" What story" These are the kinds of questions that arise when Macintyre strays from the comfort of the banal.

The music feels just as insipidly confused. The arena rock rhythms that drummer Josh Macintyre pounds out might rile up a crowd with low standards and a few beers in their systems, but on record, they feel hollow and lifeless. The guitar lines and vocal melodies are predictable, sloppily constructed, and stiffly performed. And by the time “Run With the Rhythm” comes to a close, the listener is left with the overwhelming sense that damn near every idea that Marmozets brought to Knowing What You Know Now has already been done to death, and that not a single one manages to say anything of value. Knowing What You Know Now is a dull, passionless slog of a listening experience, and a massive disappointment coming from a band that once inspired intrigue and excitement. In 2014, Marmozets were still figuring out their identity. Since then, they've apparently decided they didn't want one.

Fever Ray PlungeDer Weg Einer Freiheit Finisterre
Hammock Mysteriumostraca last
The Amazons The AmazonsPWR BTTM Pageant
2.9
good
Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (4)
Still weird. Still wonderful....

robotmagician
January 31st 2018

nice review. album is not only truly awful but, in terms of style, absolutely disappointing. how did this happen?

January 31st 2018

Review describes pretty much exactly how I feel. Loved their debut, not quite sure what they were trying to do with this one. It feels like none of the songs really go anywhere. Way poppier too.

Digging: Agrimonia - Awaken

ryallen
January 31st 2018

how many full listens did you give it?

hesperus

enough

January 31st 2018

I listened to it twice and I liked it even less the third time :/

New direction they went in definitely isn't for me

Lucifer
January 31st 2018

Run With The Rhythm is horrid.

clavier
January 31st 2018

tried listening to a song off this, was sorely disappointed. great review

rc239
February 1st 2018

disappointing as hell. i was hoping the singles were just the "radio friendly" songs and that they'd have at least a few post hardcore songs in the vein of their first LP. oh well.

rc239
February 1st 2018

new religion is a pretty cool song though tbh

ElHombreChino
February 1st 2018

Great review, I couldn't agree more. I was waiting for this album as I thought they had a great potential... huge disappointment.

Comatorium.

This is so disappointing

NorwichScene

Great review Dean!

February 1st 2018

Yeah good review tho. Invisible pos

Will probably drop this to a 2 just because I've forgotten about it already apart from Major System Error and I think it's because of the godawful lyrics

Dewinged
February 1st 2018

It's the first time I listened to these guys and I didn't feel it was this bad. I would trust whoever said they turned to worst though, I guess I'll have to check their previous stuff and compare.

Digging: Loma - Loma

wwf
February 2nd 2018

Listening now

I think this band's consistency is a bit more complicated than 'hardcore good, pop bad' since some of the best stuff on the last album was the singles; Move Shake Hide was pretty psychotic but Why Do You Hate Me was very poppy but it was wonderful and energetic as hell

Play is a fine song and Habits was very good, so I'm expecting a pretty ok, if forgettable sophomore album

This band's definitely best when they're going for maximum energy though

Digging: Tancred - Tancred

wwf
February 2nd 2018

The production on the drums in Habits is fucking huge

February 4th 2018

Yeah I never really thought their pop tendencies were bad, that's what made their debut stand out for me. This album is just too much pop in the worst way.

NorwichScene
February 5th 2018

Going to put my rating down. This is awful

Kompys2000
February 5th 2018

Is it just me or does the main riff of "Habits" sound like a ripoff of "Little Sister"?

Digging: Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass

djentist8
February 6th 2018

I enjoyed it for what it was, but nonetheless it was a bit disappointing given the bar they had set themselves on their debut