Pendant
Make Me Know You Sweet

by Tristan Jones STAFF
January 27th, 2018 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Cows without a train.

There’s a familiarity imbued in Brian Leed’s music that seems to retread a thousand footsteps. I hear sounds - careening, pittering - filtered through many ears. One rather fetching writer once compared Leed’s more recent work under the Huerco S moniker to Herbert Distel’s La Stazione, and the essence extends, here; what feels familiar and well-traveled becomes blanketed in connotations. Compare a floor that hasn’t seen foot traffic in an entire day - perhaps ever - with that of a railway station (or airport, take your pick) after a holiday rush: aesthetically and structurally they may be nearly identical, but they differ. One bears the weight of phenomena. Make Me Know You Sweet isn’t an old album, and is the first under the Pendant pseudonym, yet it has this uncanny communal presence established. Specifically, of coming / of going / in transience.

Make Me Know You Sweet rarely feels like a terminus should. At least, not like a destination, not quite. Tracks like "KVL-LWQ” dazzle in lurid motion, bombarded with stimuli, stuck somewhere between a nightclub bathroom and a back alley. Songs like fuzzy opener "VVQ-SSJ” evoke thought loops akin to the rhythmic passing of street lamps. The sound doesn’t really project to the forefront, or subsist beyond the peripherals. 2016’s Those of You Who Have Never (And Also Those Who Have) felt markedly more pronounced in its presence. Via Pendant, we have ambient music at its most bolstering, and occasionally, by contrast, at its most dismantling as well / often, it’s reciprocated by the environment. Closer “NMQ-HYT”, for example, bears latent destruction, like the tide hollowing out a cave; the water now suspends particles of calcite. Make Me Know You Sweet doesn’t bear the passively decorative sheen of inferior ambient. At times, it’s even manipulative. “IBX-BZC” pries, irritates, ensnares. (Anecdote: I paused the song to lend an ear to my partner, who was professing a panic attack over the phone - I couldn’t continue afterwards.) Yeesh.

The way the melodies disperse doesn’t help Leed’s music be any less elusive. “BBN-UWZ” darts through the air like a swarm of synthetic insects, not randomized but nonetheless fleeting. I’d hesitate to call Make Me Know You Sweet relaxing, or comforting. It’s too attentive and symbiotic with the atmosphere, as though something loud and sudden could send it sprawling, or burst asunder. If Brian Leed placed something explosive - say, shattering glass or crunching metal - in the middle of “AAE-KZT”, it would be traumatizing. Granted, we’re talking ‘what-ifs’, but still. Anxiety looms. Amidst Make Me Know You Sweet, a listener can find themselves somewhere between “I don’t want to go where I’m headed” and “when something bad happens, I’d rather be anywhere but here." There they stand, at a loss.

Jon Hopkins SingularityReindeer Field Reports From The Western Lands
Cecil Taylor Unit StructuresDrowse Cold Air
Iannis Xenakis Persepolis (2018 Reissue)Mark Applebaum Speed Dating

January 27th 2018

haven't reviewed in a tick, been busy-ish. anyway here's a lil sum' sum'

ianblxdsoe
January 27th 2018

he returns :o great review btw

Digging: Antarctigo Vespucci - Love in the Time of E?-?Mail

Jacquibim
January 27th 2018

Just copped this yesterday, heard good things about it. Swee review.

Digging: Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure

Great write up JOTS

Digging: Julia Holter - Aviary

zaruyache

19825 Comments

I like this fuzz.

luci
January 27th 2018

can never pinpoint exactly how this makes me feel, and that keeps drawing me back in. you communicate the ambiguity well here

cheers @all.

and yeah Lucid, it stirs up something a bit different each listen for me

Winesburgohio
January 27th 2018

goddammit this review is so good. please delete it.

i find this album really disquieting to listen to for some reason, as with Lucid -- something haunting about something you can't pin down

Digging: Main Attrakionz - 808s and Dark Grapes II

StarlessCore

this was coo

January 28th 2018

not too surprised w/ the 3s as this doesn’t ~go anywhere~ but imo it works as a strength

zaruyache

19825 Comments

music like this is hard to rate specifically because it doesn't go anywhere or climax. I like it and it's really pleasing, I don't know how to put that on a numerical scale.

hal1ax

such a killer review

this sounds like it could be my cup o tea

Winesburgohio
January 29th 2018

i'm not sure about this one but if I know anything about this "Leeds" fellow it's that his stuff takes time to settle with me, whether my estimation drops or ascends. it's just... why is he inhuming the good shit? some great subtle percussive work thruout tho

BlushfulHippocrene
January 29th 2018

"One rather fetching writer once compared Leed’s more recent work under the Huerco S moniker to Herbert Distel’s La Stazione, and the essence extends, here..." :333 Now kiss.

This review is something else. And I agree with this being difficult to pin.

Digging: Pictureplane - Degenerate

oltnabrick
January 31st 2018

i was about to say this reminds me of Huerco S. but

Digging: Evoken - Hypnagogia

luci
April 30th 2018

the new huerco s. ep is so damn good!

check my latest list to find it ;) ;)

GhandhiLion