Savage Garden
Savage Garden

by Simon.K CONTRIBUTOR (169 Reviews)
January 27th, 2018 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I'd travel to the moon & back just to get hold of a copy.

In a world over-saturated with musicians and artists it can be difficult separating the men from the boys, women from the girls. Occasionally you can find the distinction though; realise the true artists from the money-makers. People who have always set out to make a name for themselves, not for money or fame, but for something as noble and cliché as the art itself. It’s this type of person who brings a true emphasis and importance to the artform. However, you won’t find a genre of music as blurred and taxing in trying to see the wood for the trees than in the pop realm; a genre of music so reliant on the business model of cashing in it’s like looking through a “Where’s Walley"” picture book in trying to do it. George Michael was undoubtedly one of them, and over time you’ll come to see who the pioneers are/were. Without flinching, I can tell you Darren Hayes is one of them. Like George, Darren has gone through the same career beats; dropping out of the hysterical success of Wham! or Savage Garden was an admirable (or foolish sentiment for some) move to seek other itches yet to be scratched. These two men went on to solo careers spanning seminally ground-breaking works, fuelled with eclectic diversity and uncharted ideas for the field they were in. Darren Hayes is a rare artist though: his solo career is intimidating to say the least, managing to show his worth just one album into it, but when you match that with the project that made him a household name, it puts him up there with a reserved few.

Savage Garden was a project that shined brightly in such a short space of time, and offered some of the finest pop albums for the 20th Century. Savage Garden’s sophomore album, Affirmation, was a weaker offering to that of its debut, and quickly led to the demise of the band, but let’s put this into perspective: it was fighting unbeatable circumstances, and yet, compared to most pop albums, still made for a valiant effort given the situation. The situation" How could anyone hope to top a perfect album" Indeed, it’s a word I very seldom use, but it’s true. Savage Garden is a perfect pop-rock album in every aspect. A record that could pull out any one song and sell it as a single. This 11-track legend is filled to the brim with first-class song-writing, amazing vocal work and melodies – all told in a condensed, cut the BS way. The excellently impassioned guitar licks on the verses of “To the Moon & Back,” the spinetingling solo or Darren’s infectiously melancholic vocal performance sets the tone for the album in an unparalleled way. It is the right choice of single, but if you thought this was the best the album has to offer, you’re wrong. Every track here offers sublime musicianship, top-tier hooks and a heartfelt performance from Darren on every song. From “Truly Madly Deeply” and “Universe,” for their butter-smooth and soulful aesthetics, to the energetically charged epics of “Carry on Dancing” and “Break Me Shake Me,” Savage Garden doesn’t leave an inch to dip in quality. The various solos on here stand to elevate the tracks in ways few musicians could ever hope to achieve; chord progressions that set new standards for pop music in 1997; and a LP chockful of catchy, booty shaking grooves.

I could well be sounding hyperbolic at this point, but Savage Garden is 21 years old this year and it hasn’t aged a goddamn day. It set a new standard for pop songs, and I still feel its influence runs extensively in the contemporary world. Hayes obviously showed he had more to offer music than just Savage Garden when he left to do his own thing, but few bands leave this kind of a mark on their first attempt, and even fewer prove their worth thereafter. Savage Garden is a landmark album and fans of pop/pop-rock need to experience it, and all it has to offer.

Classic.

EDITIONS: D̶I̶G̶I̶T̶A̶L̶//CD//2̶0̶1̶5̶ ̶R̶E̶I̶S̶S̶U̶E̶ ̶2̶-̶C̶D̶

PACKAGING: Standard jewel case.

SPECIAL EDTION: There’s a Japanese version containing the bonus track "Mine"; an Asian Tour bonus disc, containing remixes and b-sides; and in 2015 the release of a 2-disc “expanded edition” hit shelves.

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant Gear BluesDavid Duchovny Every Third Thought
Don Broco TechnologyBlack Light Burns Cruel Melody
Cyclamen AmidaCrossfaith Wipeout
Patrick (4.5)
This is a great pop album from back in the day....

Affirmation

NocteDominum

Right in the feels

Digging: Locktender - Friedrich

insomniac15
January 27th 2018

How much I liked this band when I was young haha. The songs were not bad at all actually

Digging: Fu Manchu - Clone of the Universe

January 27th 2018

Totally agreed insomniac. I have a bias towards this record because I grew up with it, but even past nostalgia, the songs are amazing.

Aerisavion
January 27th 2018

Holy shit the nostalgia on this one - I need to revisit it and put a rating in

Damn good reading here Gonzo, you’re a bloody machine

Digging: Brand New - Science Fiction

Kind words, Aeri. Been in the zone lately

robin
January 27th 2018

hell yeah this is one of the greatest records ever

Truly Madly Deeply got all the puhhh

Digging: The Presets - Apocalypso

xfearbefore
January 31st 2018

god damnit bloc this is like the third 90s pop one-hit-wonder album I've checked out in the last 20 minutes and you're the most recent commenter on all of them.

continue on.

(truly madly deeply on my walkman going to bed in 1998 is life)

Digging: Knapsack - Day Three Of My New Life

February 1st 2018

I need to shop in your supermarket, arcade lol

xfearbefore
February 1st 2018

having worked in a US supermarket, I can attest that we don't get Savage Garden, just a neverending loop of Love Shack and Breakfast at Tiffanys. Hell that's all retail.

MrHarrison
February 1st 2018

Honestly I'm not sure I've ever heard Savage Garden outside of a supermarket. except maybe on Rage back in the day, I guess, I dunno

Digging: Rush - 2112