Terror Universal
Make Them Bleed

0.5

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (240 Reviews)
January 24th, 2018 | 14 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Terrible Universal

Imagine a world where your frustrated maths teacher sings for Lacuna Coil, only he’s bored and just as uninspiring…

I wish I could be optimistic about an Ill Nino/ex- Machine Head “supergroup” and then hide my hesitancy about another mask toting, stage-named group that’s built its hype on the back of (other bands) past works and not much else. Regardless, my high expectations are not only met by run of the mill musicianship, but also by the lyricism that could have been written by a sixteen year old pubescent teen anywhere.

Spread the violence, f*ck the world

With that said there is a positive note to take away from Terror Universal’s debut full-length; with each track title the listener is being pre-warned to Make Them Bleed’s quality content. ‘Passage Of Pain’ opens the record with a pummeling display of groove-based metal set for the live show. Sure, it sets the scene for a head-banging good time, if only until the vocals start. ‘Dig You A Hole’ and ‘Dead On Arrival’ are redundant tracks that simply echo the formulaic structure found on the rest of the record. The macho Five Finger Death Punch worship is evident throughout, and somehow diminishes at every beat. Terror Universal has taken the “How To Make A Tough Guy Album” book and copied it word for word leaving listeners to wonder; why the hell was this actually released in the first place"

At Make Them Bleed’s core is a recycled, samey sound that familiarises itself too deeply with acts like Mushroomhead, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch and the likes of Slipknot that render the album completely unneeded circa 2018. Add to the fact that Terror Universal has the potential to fill out “the worst vocal delivery of the year” (especially considering were only in January) and their likelihood of being simply forgotten as the year rolls by (one can only hope) increases there is only to wonder whether there’ll be a follow up record in a few years or a disbandment in a matter of months. The likelihood of the matter is that nobody will or should care at all.

Unfortunately, there’s not too much saving this album from being the complete write-off it is. Dave Chavarri offers the usual efforts behind the kit, hampered by a lack of originality from the string department and whenever catchy riff work pops up it is soon overshadowed by a bored, lack-lustre vocal effort. It seems making a gimmick off the shadows of other successful acts just isn’t enough to automatically make great metal… who figured"

Bad Wolves DisobeyAlkaloid Liquid Anatomy
Sevendust All I See Is WarLetters From The Colony Vignette
Ihsahn AmrParkway Drive Reverence
1.1
awful

January 24th 2018

I know, 2 reviews on the home page. It's been four days and a couple days of crashed sput. Hoping this will help move things along.

Do yourself a favor, go listen to a FFDP album instead of this.

BlackwaterPork
January 24th 2018

The band name, album name, album cover and members all resonate utter shit

Digging: Thou - Heathen

January 24th 2018

A succinct summary of I’ve ever seen one

Asdfp277
January 24th 2018

terrible band / album names are custom in metal, but yeah that artwork is a huge red flag

January 24th 2018

The art almost make the lyrics listenable...

Asdfp277

😬😬😬

Not even kidding

ScuroFantasma
January 24th 2018

Nicely written. Saw these dudes live before their other singer got booted and they were alright, didn't bother checking the studio EP afterwards though and I'll likely avoid this for the most part, they don't bring anything interesting or new to the table.

Digging: Thy Dying Light - Forgotten By Time

January 24th 2018

Thanks Scuro, there’s definitely better ways to spend your time. Got to ask though was the old singer any decent?

Dewinged
January 24th 2018

Good review Nocte, I am definitely not checking this ;)

And nice dig Scuro m/

Digging: Grayceon - IV

Ninjahague

is this Mushroom Head

January 24th 2018

Not sure if you’re kidding or not.

ScuroFantasma
January 25th 2018

Ditto Dewinged m/

@Nocte He was alright I guess, probably about as middle-of-the-road as you could possibly get but he did the job. Had a small sample of this new vocalist and aside from being all over the place with his performance he kinda sounds like the dude from Soil mixed with a generic harsh-rasp.

This is a track from the EP, you'll see what I mean about the previous vocalist: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2pCJhDey9XI

January 25th 2018

Yeah okay, about as much that could be expected