They Might Be Giants
I Like Fun

by former sputnik's home post-punk maester USER (120 Reviews)
January 15th, 2018 | 47 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Same old story. Same old fun, fun story.

They Might Be Giants have been at it since the 80s and have been the ministers of playful Indie music ever since, releasing one ridiculous, but never childish, album after another seemingly year by year. It seems like the band has a bottomless vault of fun ideas they keep digging into and releasing another 15+ tracks long albums every year. Considering that, how big is a chance that anyone has anything new to say about their newest output I Like Fun that has not been already said about literally any other record of theirs.

I Like Fun could not have had a more fitting title. It may not be the seminal TMBG, but it is a quintessential TMBG, complete with a mass of swift, instantly likeable instrumental passages and goofy lyricism that just screams “Exuberance!” There is little to no point in trying to dissect and analyse this album song by song, as it’ll just end up in an exercise in finding fifteen synonyms to “beautifully catchy little piece”.

And that is still true, even though song after song the band delves into different instrumental and stylistic directions they still manage to make sound similar and fitting to one another through their extreme tuneful artistry. Be it the jerky “Push Back the Hands” that follows the bipolar “I Like Fun” that follows the wild “Mrs. Bluebeard” that follows… you get the idea.

Yes, They Might Be Giants are just as energetic and kooky on here as they’ve always been. Their command of melody is still staggering and the instrumental magnitude is fantastic. It is as pretty and rock solid an album of theirs as they come. Just another great addition in a long line of utter consistency.

Pedigree New FreakAnd Also The Trees Born Into The Waves
De Staat Bubble GumAuthor and Punisher Beastland
Marsh Dweller WandererArtificial Pleasure The Bitter End
3.1
good

20540 Comments

Stream: https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/576871943/first-listen-they-might-be-giants-i-like-fun

Digging: Arteries - Arteries

ramon.

Gorgeously addictive tiny tidbit
Attractively earworm-y cutesie chunk
List is digs m/
Alluringly hooky smallish single

January 15th 2018

"ideas the keep digging into"

*they

"They command of melody"

*Their

Foooooocken 'el

20540 Comments

No, I'll leave it like that, so that people read it with an accent.

Dewinged
January 15th 2018

Oh wow, doesn't this release on Friday too? You got all those sweet promos Uni!?

Digging: Ioanna Gika - Thalassa

20540 Comments

It's not me, it's the special properties of NPR's First Listen programme.

"Be first!"

January 15th 2018

"No, I'll leave it like that, so that people read it with an accent."

what

20540 Comments

The ol' typical "Oi, m8, thay band, o'ight, they command uf melodeyh, m8, right?, it's thay... thay ideahs the'eep di'in into, m8..."

??????????

20540 Comments

That's alright, sweet child of mine, don't bother yourself with this anymore.

Dewinged
January 15th 2018

Ooooh NPR's First Listen, that's right. Sweet man, good job getting those reviews out quick.

AsleepInTheBack
January 15th 2018

you might want to consider playing around with some semi-colons or dashes or parentheses a little more rather than just commas. could, for example, improve the readability of that first sentence with some dashes or brackets around "but never childish". also the last two paras could be merged imho, would look less bitty. otherwise, another top-notch effort friendo. gots to check this band.

Noted and thank you.

butcherboy
January 15th 2018

I've been hexed by ethnic Tyler..

SandwichBubble

Hey man, I love TMBG and all, but a 4.0 for this is high praise

Digging: R. Stevie Moore - Children's Museum

20540 Comments

hey, i liked it. it's easy and fun. whatcha want from me?

SandwichBubble
January 15th 2018

God bless, you simple devil

20540 Comments

did you want me to give it a 3.0, because it doesn't vomit trombone spleen all over you track after track with a youthful mindlessness in the voice like they used to?

what d'you want from me?