fail better, heal faster
fail better, heal faster

by separable USER (2 Reviews)
January 12th, 2018 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Forgiveness

A lot of times, an artist uses their music as a way to convey a message about what they are going through. Emo is a genre where this is especially true, with albums being ever so personal to both the artist and thus the audience who identifies with them. Lou Diamond, one of my favorite artists, has had a troubled past. Sure what they did was extremely wrong, but their music isn't a gospel of their ethics. So it gets a lot of kids riled up when an artist personal to them does something they are against. People feel the need to dismiss the work as though it is tied to the artist's personal life. This album proves that you can remove the artist from the art.

And it really pays off. Fail Better Heal Faster is a journey of melancholy and energy. Lou Diamond's amazing vocals dance around his intricate guitar leads and rhythms. As a guitarist myself, I'm amazed at how dexterous their fingers are. The song Queer Recover Club is a perfect example, with its crazy fast sweeps across the neck. Yet there is a sparseness in the music. It feels very spacious and able to breathe despite the high energy. This makes certain moments, like the climax to Cleo, even more powerful. Each song is dynamic and progresses in a really unique way. And each of the songs are varied, which is a nice surprise from their previous work. JANK was always a bit too samey, and frankly this is easily a way better album than JANK or even Panucci’s Pizza's albums ever were. Anyone not listening to the album is missing out.

One of the ways the album offers a bit of forgiveness in that it is LGBT friendly. This is something seldom seen in music and is very refreshing. Its something that is obviously good and being in the album shows maturity. Lyrics on Queer Recover Club: “you can take whats in my pants” are left extremely ambiguous, offering a new meaning to each listener and new listen. Beyond that, it serves as an apologetic manifesto. I bet a lot of them still eat at chick fil a, but that is besides the point.

The atmosphere of the album is outstanding. Its nothing really new, especially in context of JANK, but its on point as ever. It feels very twinkley and indie. Its intense and mellow at the same time, feeling like hormonal emotions running rampant. There is just something that clicks about the soundscapes of the album. It immediately connected with me. Not necessarily the lyrics or what its about, but just the sincerity of it. It is one of those albums that I can feel resonate deep inside of me. I just love to identify with the sounds on here and encourage you to try and do the same. This is really great music from a dying scene.

Recommended Tracks:

TheCharmingMan (1)
Forgiveness?...

separable
January 11th 2018

Hey guys, second review here so go easy! Feedback appreciated, I think I may have used a bit too much personal input on this one because of the subject surrounding it is very personal to me. I think this album is getting a lot of hate for something independent of it, so please focus on discussing and glorifying how awesome the music is (not the person)!

Cause that being said my thoughts go out to anyone who may have been harmed by them.

hmm

Digging: Lil B - Options

separable
January 11th 2018

Thanks for the comments so quickly guys but if you are gonna downvote can you please make sure it is because of the review and not because of your opinion of the artist? Have you even listened to the album? I really do think its incredible and you are just hurting yourself not listening to it. I'm not trying to start a controversy

StallionMang

hmm [2]

Digging: Machine Girl - ...BECAUSE I'M YOUNG ARROGANT AND HATE EVERYTHING

sixdegrees

uh oh

EphemeralEternity
January 12th 2018

I've erected an effigy of Lou diamond in my bedroom, comprised of crusty tube socks which i make a sticky libation to every night before bed.

sixdegrees
January 12th 2018

i'm waiting on jesse lacey's acoustic singer songwriter debut personally

ImmortalPaper

:thinking:

ianblxdsoe

:hyperthink:

guitarded_chuck
January 12th 2018

Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long Toxic masculinity’s been killing’ me for far too long

guitarded_chuck
January 12th 2018

albums the definition of cringe but pos'd anyway your reviews well written

TheCharmingMan
January 12th 2018

“Sure what they did was wrong”

O RLY

Drubbi

:thonking:

Digging: Black Peaks - All That Divides

Conmaniac
January 12th 2018

hmmmmm is right. ok 2nd review although very formulaic and you kinda skirt around what they did in a way that reads a bit like you’re downplaying Lou’s actions. i’m all for separating art from artist but Lou trying to use this album as a way of “apologizing” while clearly not revealing everything is disgusting.

TheCharmingMan
January 12th 2018

Also not to nitpick but is the scene really dying with bands like Oso Oso and such still reppin the emo flag?

January 12th 2018

This album is pretty bad regardless of lou diamond phillips or whatever touching kids or whatever he did

North0House2
January 12th 2018

I'm out of the loop. What's wrong with this album?

Snake.

20998 Comments

lead singer is an alleged rapist who gaslighted their victim when defending themselves

Digging: Cloud Nothings - Last Building Burning

coldheaven
January 19th 2018

Dude is a wet sack of old man turds, 1'ed

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

CyanBlue
April 27th 2018

who is this supposed to appeal to? songs like "queer recovery club" make it sound like these songs are supposed to cater to people who take one social sciences class and think they're some left wing messiah, but he's also been accused of being a sexual harasser. Most emo fans don't take rape accusations lightly lmao. So I guess it caters to no one?