Black Sabbath
The End (Live)

by manosg STAFF
January 7th, 2018 | 46 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: As long as the earth endures, there will never be an end for Black Sabbath.

One of my first memories from Black Sabbath is reading the review for their debut. Without even having heard a note from the album – or even Sabbath for that matter, with the exception of “Paranoid” – I was drawn by the dark, menacing cover art. However, I was also amazed by the fact that 2018 would mark the 50th anniversary from the legendary act’s formation; 50 years seems such a long time when you are young. A few years passed and in 1997 the original lineup reunited giving me hope that I would finally see them live just to learn that they would only give two shows in Birmingham. Finally, I had the opportunity to see the original lineup in 2005 even though I cannot remember much from the concert simply because it felt like an out of body experience.

You may wonder why I’m sharing with you the above and how they tie up with The End (Live). Well, listening to Sabbath’s live farewell feels like taking back my memories from 2005 and being on those 1997 shows in Birmingham. However, I cannot forgive the geezers (pun intended) for disappointing my 11 year old self by depriving me of the opportunity to celebrate their 50th anniversary in 2018. Adding fuel to the fire, their performance on the night of February 4, 2017 is far from one by a group of future pensioners. Tony Iommi’s presence is as imposing as ever and his performance is close to impeccable. Geezer is building skyscrapers with his bass and Ozzy is in the best form since I can remember. The setlist is quite complete, even though “A National Acrobat” would be more than welcome. Nonetheless, The End (Live) is far from individual performances or songs. It is about witnessing thousands of people paying their dues to the progenitors of metal, it is about realizing that Ozzy is still one of the best showmen and looking at Iommi smile in content. Most of all, it is about that goddamn lump in your throat that comes from knowing that you are listening/watching Black Sabbath’s final show.

Black Sabbath’s final concert is far from what I dreamt of; I always hoped that Dio would be part of it as he is a significant part of the band’s history. However, in life you rarely get the chance to live your dream scenario. Our generation wasn’t lucky enough to live in the era when these giants started walking the earth but now we have to witness their end. But then again, The End (Live) is not an end per se. As long as there is heavy metal, as long as an impressionable teen becomes a metalhead because of these guys’ music and grabs a guitar to play Iommi’s riffs, there will never, ever be an end.

Slash Living the DreamFriendship (NO) Ain't No Shame
Paradise Lost HostSurvivor Vital Signs
Carriage VisionsLeaves' Eyes Sign of the Dragonhead

January 7th 2018

Not a review per se but my attempt to pay my dues to these legends.

Feel free to share any experience related to Sabbath.

Digging: Winterstorm - A Coming Storm

Typhoon24

1924 Comments

i heard of them through ozzy. i got guitar hero 1 on ps2 and "bark at the moon" was so fun. then i dug back to black sabbath and was like holllllllly muthafuckin shit

January 7th 2018

Yup, that was exactly my reaction when I heard "Black Sabbath" haha.

Doctuses
January 7th 2018

saw them in NJ in ozzfest 2005 with maiden. One of the best shows ive ever been to.

BlackwaterPork
January 7th 2018

Fantastic review, I really enjoyed this

Digging: mewithoutYou - [Untitled]

Dewinged
January 8th 2018

50 years! Holy crap. Great review manosg!

Digging: Ancestors - Suspended in Reflections

EvoHavok

Very nice read, manos.
A run of half a century is so impressive.

Digging: Dir En Grey - The Insulated World

TheNotrap
January 8th 2018

Pretty enjoyable reading manosg.

I listened to the album once, and it sounded solid.

I would have liked to have seen a concert with the classic line-up. The Heaven and Hell Tour must also have been interesting.

At least, if nothing happens to the madmen, I'm going to see Ozzy for the first time this year.

Digging: Gama Bomb - Speed Between The Lines

guitarded_chuck
January 8th 2018

ill prolly never listen to this, too sad, no im not being melodramatic

January 8th 2018

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Ozzy sounds like he's in a really good form so you'll probably have a great time, Notrap. When I saw these guys, he couldn't sing for maybe half the show even though it didn't matter at all haha.

TheNotrap
January 8th 2018

Yeah it doesn't matter, we just want to see the legends while they're still alive.

MO

good stuff mano m/m/

January 8th 2018

Cheers MO, always nice to see you around m/

deslad
January 8th 2018

Excellent review manos, short and to the point. I've only listened to a couple of tracks from this one, but I think I'll listen to the whole album pretty soon.

Digging: Bill Withers - Bill Withers' Greatest Hits

Alastor

1967 Comments

I'm so glad I had the chance to see them live before the end. War Pigs m/

Thrust!
January 8th 2018

Definitely checking this tonight. Nice review.

Digging: Kylie Minogue - Body Language

Cheers des and Flynn!

Agreed Alastor. One of my biggest regrets is not seeing Motorhead when I had the chance and they were in a great form.

Sabrutin
January 8th 2018

Sweet piece, imaginary pos.

Black Sabbath is one of my benchmarks in how to make entertaining metal. Stuff like War Pigs is endlessly replayable, songs like Electric Funeral and Hand of Doom always strike me for the obscure atmosphere they manage to create, I like to refer to Electric Funeral as the most "radioactive" song I can think of. They have character. You can be as flashy as you want but you'll never rock as hard as The Wizard without it

Digging: An Autumn For Crippled Children - The Light of September

xfearbefore
January 8th 2018

Hard to get through this album, Ozzy's voice is so destroyed at this point.

Digging: S.O.D. - Speak English or Die

RunOfTheMill
January 8th 2018

Saw them twice in 2014/2016, thoroughly enjoyed both times and am super thankful to have gotten the chance to see them. Very good eulogy manos