Sisyphean
Illusions of Eternity

by Voivod STAFF
January 6th, 2018 | 15 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: One by one, Lithuania’s metal acts are making waves.

In the utter absence of any information about the surfacing of a new release by an obscure band, the first sign of evidence that compels/deters towards/from further investigation, is (with great bias) the album artwork. Now, Sisyphean’s album cover itself, is strong enough in providing the foundations of a dystopic narrative. The swarm of faceless figures in the dark, the band’s name hinting at the timeless Hellenic myth, and the “The Nest” lyrics combined, could be lamenting the (increasingly futile) strife of modern individual for truly reaching out/connecting to his/her peers, especially in an era where digital social networks have come to do the exact opposite. Lyrically, Illusions of Eternity touches upon analogous subjects, with the Lithuanians’ English proficiency opaquing, more often than not, the clarity and immediacy of their written word. Musically, however, the band has outed an album that is convincingly emanating the dire vibes, found in the aforementioned sites of the package.

Nominally, Illusions of Eternity pole dances around death/black metal. However, within a recurring pattern that works really well, much slower and groovier tempos are also being hauled; at fewer instances, the rhythm section is allowed to catch some breathers. The element, however, that grants the album its special character, is the existence of lead guitar melodies (either from the nu- or the post- metal ends), “generic” in design, but efficient in invoking a profound sense of innate despondency. This is the case in tracks like “Nekrokatarsis” or “Shattered Glass”, where an ensemble of melodies encompassing the initial one, are put to work. Sisyphean’s musicianship carries the plan devised precisely, without engaging in ostentatious instrumental aberrations, while the same sense of economy engulfs the arrangements. While the album works well as a whole, abstractions from its central character are evident in the doom/latent industrial demeanor of “The Nest”, or in the epic album closer “Transfigurations” where the blues, post- and black metal elements make for an interesting combo.

In the absence of any official broadcasting source regarding the EP Sisyphean released in 2014, vague comparisons can be made about Sisyphean’s musical advancement with Illusions of Eternity. What’s dead-certain though, is that Lithuanians need to improve in the lyrics sector, should they choose to express themselves in English, in releases to come. Be that as it may, Sisyphean are a force to be reckoned with in the realm of extreme metal, and along with recently emerged compatriot powerhouses like Au-Dessus, are expected to sprawl the seemingly nascent Lithuanian metal scene out of its borders.

Shrapnel (UK) Raised on DecayAcrimonious Eleven Dragons
Bestial Invasion Trilogy: Prisoners of Miserable HateSleepin Pillow The Past is Already Here
Medicine Boy Kinda Like ElectricityHelstar Vampiro
recommended by reviewer
Chapter V:F10 Syndrome

January 6th 2018

Album stream: http://sisyphean.bandcamp.com/

Alternate album stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNlTJXqDjU&feature=youtu.be

Happy new year everyone, constructive criticism is most welcome.

Digging: The Sonic Dawn - Into the Long Night

ChoccyPhilly
January 6th 2018

Pretty good but melds together a bit too much with a full listen.

Digging: Cern - Terminus

January 7th 2018

^^Yeah, the album gives that impression, especially on first listens, but it grew in me enough, so as to grant it a rather inflated rating (compared to a 3.5, that is).

Xenophanes

Will def check

HUSKEN
January 7th 2018

the excessive wordiness renders the majority of your reviews unreadable for me

your sentences sound like something saruman would say

January 7th 2018

^^I hear you, I’m a non-native English speaker, so I definitely know what you mean.

You know, when I joined Sputnik and started reading, I got a headache, because I couldn’t follow the written train of thought, especially in Staff reviews.

You know what I did? I kept on reading. Not only Sputnik stuff, everything that I could get my hands on.

My first review was a complete mess, if you look the comment of Trey Spencer, you will know what I’m talking about. I kept writing anyway.

I still read Sputnik reviews and I still look up unknown words/phrases/idioms, because languages are an abyss.

Back to your sincerely constructive criticism; most of the time, I try to write as less as possible (volume-wise) while describing an album, and in that respect, I see that moderately arcane wording helps in that direction.

I will try to write simpler texts in future reviews.

Edit:

Did you check the album?

ScuroFantasma
January 8th 2018

Ooh this looks neat, will check

Gmork89
January 8th 2018

Checking this out, love that album art.

January 8th 2018

^^Yeah, the album art is very strong.

Faceless figures remind of Jim Carrey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, where he couldn’t see peoples’ faces as his memories were being erased.

Hawks

This sounds sweet.

Digging: Sigh - Infidel Art

Gmork89
January 9th 2018

It's pretty good, 3-3.5 for me I would say.

January 9th 2018

^^It gets better, the more you spin it.

This sounds sweet

Indeed

Hawks
January 10th 2018

About to jam this hard.

brainmelter
January 11th 2018

you're a great writer man, on my to-check list

Digging: Elephant Gym - ??WORK

YUJOS
January 15th 2018

4 undropabble for me. Them and Au - Dessus are Lithuanian?? Whoa. Something interesting must be happening over there except the Ball family taking over the country.