Jeff Rosenstock
POST-

by ian b. USER (34 Reviews)
January 1st, 2018 | 170 replies

Release Date: 2018 | Tracklist

Review Summary: nothing’s forever dude

WORRY. was an existentially dark record for Jeff Rosenstock in the lyrical sense. The music and production that stroked the backgrounds of the canvas were bright and colorful but the lyrics he sang that grazed lightly to the canvas as its forefront portrayed bright images of governmental conflict and the malaise that comes with growing up. Nobody really pondered what would happen to Jeff’s music if it started to sound more and more like the lyrics he wrote. With the infinitely more anxious electronics, the hesitant guitars, and the bass tone that even scares the bass tone from the new Glassjaw record a little bit, there was not much that could show how Jeff would evolve as a musician so fast as it does with POST-. The record is near hypnotizing from the getgo, with the record opening up with the 7 and a half minute garage-state of the union address “USA”, having you sing along yet lose your mind in a fucked up ambient sleepwalk later on. Jeff seems to be taking more of a grasp at the more experimental and controversial cuts such as “All Blissed Out” and “Darkness Records” off of 2015’s we cool" and honing in the best possible cuts he can with the experimentation on POST-, and yet again, Jeff Rosenstock owns his anomaly status as he makes it all work marvelously with the push forward into existential oblivion that is POST-.

Jeff is a tired man too. It should be evident, especially to those of us that have been sticking around for long enough. I mean for fuck’s sake, the man is 35, married, been doing this since he was like 15. Sometimes things just take their toll and no matter how young you can be. The beautiful thing about growing up and growing old however, is that it never truly stops. That’s what makes Jeff’s evolution as a person much more intriguing than most other people we come into contact with, because he puts everything he has on display for everyone to see, like an open book with a lot of bookmarks. So as a fanbase, we’ve watched his mannerisms towards politics and existence shift up, down, around, and back again from the summer-fueled manic happiness in existential bickering that was Vacation all the way to the cold and jumpy WORRY., to the haunting purgatory of swinging fists at taxi cabs and cashing unemployment checks that is both we cool" and more importantly POST-.

Most things about POST- absolutely shouldn’t work at all. Nothing in it or surrounding it adds up to any sort of decent conclusion whatsoever, yet Jeff winds up taking the idea of preconception and shoving it down the dirty toilet in a greased-up 7/11 bathroom. From the quirky ambient interludes, to the odd song lengths (two of Jeff’s longest cuts at 7 and 12 minutes respectively, with his shortest track also here at 4 seconds), and the more felt absence of some of his catchier tendencies in these songs, it just doesn’t make sense. Literally even the entirety of “Melba” feels like it shouldn’t work but it’s just catchy enough and beautifully image-evoking enough that it solidifies itself as one of Jeff’s most loving and anthemic cuts to date. Everything about POST- is the absolute antithesis of WORRY. in not only how it is presented, but also how it is structured. POST- feels like it’s all song based, with everything culminating in the two centerpieces that both open and close the album (“USA” and “Let Them Win” respectively) whereas WORRY. was more of an album for the sake of being an album, and was just content with existing but anxious about it. POST- takes the anxiety and effervescence of Jeff’s past material, and dips it into a sleeker metallic realism that somehow paints a better picture of the modern American better than WORRY. or we cool" before it.

The true beauty of Jeff’s musical evolution on POST- is not its convenient consistency, or the more ambient production, but perhaps the messages entangled in the mess. POST- is a record that’s absolutely fed the fuck up with having to force happiness to stay alive, when it clearly doesn’t work. Through tracks like the triumphant “Let Them Win”, “Melba”, or even “Powerlessness” we feel a bit more gritty and angry with our viewpoints, rather than reserved and contemplative. Jeff writes these songs in such an honest and loyal way it makes POST- more of a record about not trying to suppress pain by forcing happiness, he makes it a record about planting your feet into the cement below you, and swinging your fists at the sadness so it can never win — not if you try hard enough. Through tales of Polish bars, TV Stars, and even old scars, it may seem to be one big mess to some, but you have to appreciate how beautifully intertwined and threaded together it is to get it. We’re all tired and bored too at this point Jeff, and POST- serves as a reason to stop being so mopey and bitter with ourselves and to channel that into something we can change the world with, no matter how much time that could take. We’ll never let them win, and maybe nothing will ever be the same, but as long as Jeff is as Jeff does, everything will be alright, and that’s so much fucking better than any Bomb The Music Industry! reunion could be.

Trash Boat Nothing I Write You Will Change What You've Been ThroughLand Of Talk Life After Youth
Captain, We're Sinking The Future Is CancelledJulien Baker Turn Out The Lights
Counterparts You're Not You Anymoreyr glow yr glow
McTime50 (5)
we're tired and bored...

CompostCompote (3)
Put that in your Rosenpipe and Rosensmoke it....

January 1st 2018

here it be friends :D head above water this year boys 😤😤

probably the happiest i’ve been about an album and the most anxious i’ve been about a review lol, CC always appreciated

BlackwaterPork
January 1st 2018

Excellent review my friend, pos
I was anticipating your review of this

Digging: Summoning - Oath Bound

January 1st 2018

thank you so much man!! means a lot to me

Bloon

My man.

Digging: God Bullies - War On Everybody

January 1st 2018

thank u bloon for always being there for me. never will be able to repay that ♥️

January 1st 2018

Never been all that into Rosenstock and I only ever listened to one BTMI! record, but this is free (sorry, name ur price) and USA/Let Them Win are lit af so I'm gonna dive into this.

Digging: Camila Cabello - Camila

butcherboy
January 1st 2018

have the juiciest pos, ian.. hope you're around more!!!

Digging: Flux of Pink Indians - The Fucking Cunts Treat Us Like Pricks

Dewinged
January 1st 2018

Your passion for this album breaches through the review ian, enjoyed the read. Post-pos'd. ;)

Digging: Shame - Songs of Praise

January 1st 2018

thank you so much!! 3 of my favorite people B) hope you eventually come around and dig this butcher!! and if people want me around more i can try to be but likehahaha

Rigma

posiposipos

January 1st 2018

the hardest of pos's ian

super upset I couldn't listen to this as I fell asleep on the 1st due to timezones. smh jeff

Dewinged
January 1st 2018

Jamming now and it's old good Jeff.

BMDrummer

fuuuuuuuuuuck yes

January 1st 2018

some of this definitely comes off as WORRY b-sides, but the good stuff is superb

apart from the two long songs which will obviously go down as Jeff classics, 9/10 and TV Stars are absolute tunes

CaimanJesus
January 2nd 2018

This is kinda fun, would probably enjoy it a lot more if I wasn't sober

Digging: The Blood Brothers - ...Burn, Piano Island, Burn

Lucid
January 2nd 2018

yep.. definitely a 5.. when you guys starting drinking the kool aid you just drain it all up..

Lord(e)Po)))ts