Mangoo
The Heat

by insomniac15 STAFF
December 31st, 2017 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: My girl wants to party all the time...

Half a decade after the excellent Neverland, Mangoo are back with another rager, The Heat. This damn tight LP might as well be the soundtrack to a night out, since its energy is downright infectious. Right from the cover you can see the retro futuristic influences on the steroids-pumped riffs. There’s that small dose of trademark ‘80s reverb in the mix tying things together, plus the fun vocals occasionally sound as if Daryl Hall grew cojones. ‘Relief’, ‘Get Away’, ‘Deification’, ‘Stumbling Man’ or ‘Tiembla’ are scorching numbers where fuzz-drenched guitars drive alongside pounding drums. The band borrows some grooves from the ‘70s too, mixing them with full force riffage. There’s a lot of energy bursting out, so you can’t help but head bang or dance to it.

Moodier tunes like ‘Beyond the Sky’ and the title track tone things down a bit to capture a hazier atmosphere. The former relies on a mid-tempo bass line on top of which soaring guitars only punctuate, before the epic chorus kicks in. The steady rhythm of ‘The Heat’ slows down halfway to make room for a much needed spaced out segment after the constant onslaught. Nevertheless, Mangoo crank the gear back to eleven towards the end; there’s no time to sleep with all the partying going on around you. Then, ‘Grey Belly’ shares some smooth hooks that only amplify during choruses. The staccato guitar is overtaken by huge solos and some of the most powerful vocals on the record. Moreover, to finish things on a truly high note, the group decided to include a sweet cover of Eddie Murphy’s ‘Party All the Time’. Maybe it shouldn’t have, yet the song sums up the album in a very catchy way. The saturated riffs are golden and Pickles’ passionate croon works so well over them.

Overall, The Heat is another great record, albeit it could’ve benefited from a couple of laid back moments to offer some respite to the listener. Even so, the hard rockers on the LP are all doing their job just great, so there is a lot to dig into here.

Demonauta Temaukel, the Spirit Before TimeYawning Man The Revolt Against Tired Noises
YOB Our Raw HeartChihei Hatakeyama Butterfly's Summer and Vanished
Church of the Cosmic Skull Science FictionBong Thought and Existence

insomniac15
December 31st 2017

Cool record! I love 'Party All the Time'.

'Relief' (music video) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ps9esbQUHw

Stream it here: http://smallstone.bandcamp.com/album/the-heat

Digging: Demonauta - Temaukel, the Spirit Before Time

December 31st 2017

Cool album art. Would've thought this was an electronic album.

Song you posted sounded a bit generic to me, think I'll pass on this. Good review tho

insomniac15
January 1st 2018

Thanks! The album is fun overall. Listen at least to 'Party All the Time', it's really cool

Tunaboy45

That's the first time I've thought about Party All The Time in years

nice review too

Digging: Ghost (SWE) - Prequelle

ChaoticVortex
January 1st 2018

I swear I can't keep up with the ammount of awesome sounding bands I discover by Sputnik.

Dewinged
January 2nd 2018

I really dig that cover, nice review insomniac.

Digging: Tomberlin - At Weddings

Dimorphic
January 2nd 2018

Quality review. You've made me check this out. Now just to sit tight and wait for DominicanGuyFinland to sign in and rate this album a 5 along with a comment about how heterosexual this band is.

Storm In A Teacup
January 7th 2018

Great review i was convinced to try this group after one paragraph

BigHans
January 17th 2018

This looks like it would be straight up my alley the alley of rawk

BigHans
January 17th 2018

Relief has a monster chorus