Taake
Noregs Vaapen

by Zach USER (94 Reviews)
December 18th, 2017 | 27 replies

Review Summary: Break out the banjo, boys.

It is only recently that I have discovered the immense black metal force that is Taake. This one-man band name is tossed around many circles, and yet somehow for years I put off the cold, wintry masterpieces that are the band's first 3 records. What Taake manages to do is take all the qualities that make no-nonsense black metal so good and amplify them tenfold. Behind layers of fuzz, tremolo riffs conjure winter storms, with powerful drumming pummeling you like an avalanche and high-pitched shrieks summoning the most shredding winter winds. With that being said, little changes here aside from a somewhat clearer production and a segment of legendary jaw-dropping banjo (I will soon get to that).

“Fra Vadested Til Vaandesmed” is as good an opener as Taake has ever done. Everything is brimming with energy as ferocious vocals and guitar melodies lash at you. This pretty much sets the pace for the entire record. Ripping tremolo’s subtly intertwined with melodies, cold, relentless vocals, and relentless drumming (with enough changes in pattern to remain intriguing, that is) are what this album aims for, and damn does it deliver. In spite of this, it doesn’t quite hit the levels of quality that previous Taake records have done before. To be fair, that level of quality isn’t something easy to attain once, let alone several times.

The only legitimate flaw on this album would be, as you guessed....the banjo solo. Why did U. Hoest think this was a good idea one might ask, to which I imagined he would respond with a prompt “*** you, that’s why”. It’s playful and bouncy for sure, which is probably why it feels so disjointed when placed in the epic riff-oriented track that is “Myr”. Still, this might get a hearty chuckle out of most, so perhaps even that isn’t totally throwaway. So here it is. Another worthy addition to the still expanding Taake discography. It riffs, it rips, it banjo’s away. You will headbang, head nod, foot tap, do the ***ing tango, and have a damn good time through 46 minutes of “Trve Norwegian black metal”.

Can Bardd Nature Stays SilentNokturnal Funeral Lye x Love Cuts
Saor Forgotten PathsNile In Their Darkened Shrines
Cryptopsy The Book of Suffering - Tome IISargeist Unbound

December 18th 2017

I'm surprised this didn't have a review honestly so here it is.

Digging: The Secret - Solve Et Coagula

CugnoBrasso
December 18th 2017

It really had no review!

I honestly like the banjo solo, it starts as a playful thing but then it blends into the blackness of the song. Many highlights in this album, like the far-western melodic guitars in "Du ville ville vestland". Overall a pretty decent record!

BlackwaterPork
December 18th 2017

Wow I didn’t know this was lacking a review, but you gave it the one it deserved. Pos

December 18th 2017

Yeah man the banjo to me is very...bewildering to say the least.

Also thank you Porky

SomeGuyDude

I like the banjo.

BlushfulHippocrene
December 18th 2017

That the banjo isn't a highlight on this disappoints me. Great review, Dedes.

Digging: Wicca Phase Springs Eternal - Suffer On

December 18th 2017

Haha thanks. Honestly man I laughed at it, it was so fucking outta nowhere.

Darius the Great

19693 Comments

How did this not have a review until now...

Good one too lol, pos

December 18th 2017

Thanks dude! You dig Taake I'm guessing?

Darius the Great

19693 Comments

Haven't jammed in many years tbh. Doedskvad is great. This album is good too. I gotta do a proper discog sesh

Debut is pure bm gold

damn nice review Dede, pos'd

Digging: Method Man - Meth Lab Season 2: The Lithium

December 18th 2017

You better listen to it old man

December 18th 2017

"You better listen to it old man"

I'm on it as we speak (type), child of light and divinity.

It's not bad.

sixdegrees
December 18th 2017

norwegian black metal? in the year 2011?

December 18th 2017

Cool. Dede for more springy sounds like the sophomore album work through Tenhi's discog

Digging: Millencolin - SOS

December 18th 2017

What would this world do without the mouth harp

December 18th 2017

not digging this one that much thus far but I'm still glad to see it reviewed