And Also The Trees
(Listen for) the Rag and Bone Man

by former sputnik's home post-punk maester USER (84 Reviews)
December 12th, 2017 | 20 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Patience, Bandoneon Boy.

And Also the Trees have dominated the Post-Punk cult status. Everyone involved adores them, everyone on the outside isn’t even aware this kind of music exists. But one thing is for sure, their blend of atmospheric and subtle triumph with mysterious, visceral and patient instrumentation and song-writing is beyond comprehension. And nowhere have they perfected that as on this album.

I could liken the sound of this album to a traditional European fairy-tale (say, of Grimm brothers’ authorship). It is enigmatic, slow, brooding, but magnificently chilling and piercing with its dark, menacing calm and restraint. The often soft and pleasant melodies are bittered by thick, sticky treacle of unease hanging in the air. So do the gentle ‘La, la, las‘ of the song “The Beautiful Silence” suddenly sound bittersweet and with a strongly masked torment underneath, especially as the vocalist Simon Huw Jones’ subdued and sophisticated, yet oddly nervous delivery mixes the already unnerving vibe.

But the album isn’t built on quietness only, for each song manages to escalate to surprising, but upon further rumination seemingly logical, overwhelming instrumental explosion. It isn’t bombarding you with exultant hoorays, but rather engulfs with a worrisome, longing beauty of its urgency and carefully built and written tunes set into slowly invigorating volume of its instrumental arrangement.

Songs like “Domed” or “Rive Droite” each build exactly into that rich on emotion, haunting monumental dismay and sorrow, delivered through loudness. On the other hand, cuts such as “May of the Woods” or “The Way the Land Lies” are both fonder of the quiet side of things, never really feeling the necessity to expand musically to deliver their message.

The entire album tests your patience, but never to the point of exhausting you with its slow pace. It cleverly balances the weary feelings and the tuneful music. The lyrics are magnetic in their vagueness and their mysticism is almost brilliantly suggestive without actually revealing the full story. They warn of struggles ahead in lands foreign and home, in arms of strangers and the close ones, on an odyssey and in a dwelling’s comfort. They, and the incredibly gloomy music they are accompanied by (or they themselves accompany), portray a perfect world of darkness. Not darkness of desperation or hopelessness, but rather of acceptance the light’s end, the understanding of which turns to take and what words to preach. And it delivers you its knowledge in a slow and steady manner.

U.S. Girls In A Poem UnlimitedOught Room Inside The World
Superchunk What a Time to Be AliveForever Losing Sleep I Lost Myself Again
Hockey Dad Blend InnSex Park Atrium

Uni’s review roll 29/50

So that BlackwaterPork doesn’t think I only write anti-reviews.

Digging: Ought - Room Inside The World

BlackwaterPork

Lmao nice job

Digging: Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed

Streaming in full on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUT4Y4zPo3I

Good review, pos brotha. First song is beautiful, excited to hear the rest.

December 12th 2017

The production on this thing is insanely perfect on first listen.

December 12th 2017

Ooh sweet choice for a review, album is stupidly good. Been binging it recently. Under the Stars is truly one of the most comforting songs ever

"Reviews 29

Approval 88%"

Hell yeah, baby! Getting back on track.

DoofusWainwright

Oooh Papa :D

Classic album

Digging: Cat Power - Moon Pix

December 12th 2017

This is reallly good, where has this been the past year?

the same place it has been since 2007, oblivion

2007?!?! oh man.

December 12th 2017

Listen to Born Into the Waves, it was released last year.

SteakByrnes
December 12th 2017

Ooooo nice review, steadily getting that approval rating back up as well :]

Digging: August Burns Red - Messengers Remixed

y87arrow
December 17th 2017

I absolutely love them. They are my all-time favourite band (followed by Ozric Tentacles). I love what they do to my imagination, all the imaginary places I travel to I would love to go there.

And last year they released another great album.

I love when they sing about certain places, people, situations or weather changes.

Sometimes I wish I could travel to the village Inkberrow, Worcestershire, where they started.

I think this album is one of my favourites by them, after Virus Meadow. Even their "worst" albums (that is for me their self-titled debut album from 1984) are very enjoyable to me.

December 17th 2017

To me their worst was Silver Soul, but even that has its own style and charm. The debut is more of a traditional Post-Punk simplicity.

December 17th 2017

The debut has So This Is Silence and The Tease the Tear which are two of the most intense goth songs I can think of, but the rest of the album doesn't really compare sadly. This album instead is absolutely killer. I need to binge the discography someday.

Under the Stars is a perfect song

December 17th 2017

@Sabrutin: here's a guide, just in case:

December 17th 2017

I'm surprised there's no The Tease the Tear in the go-to tracks for s/t, the central part of that song is crazy. I think Virus Meadow was a significant leap forward for the songwriting, I love the build-ups (and down) in Maps in Her Wrists & Arms. Anyway that's where my knowledge stops as far as full albums go (plus this one). I'll have to dig deeper.

Sweet work with those lists by the way like New Model Army and Tuxedomoon

Drifter
December 19th 2017

This looks interesting

December 19th 2017

it is

y87arrow
February 4th 2018

@Papa Universe: I know their debut is typical post-punk album. I absolutely love post-punk (I also have made two lists on sputnikmusic about the genre by the way), but AATT started to find their own style with the second album Virus Meadow and to me every album from then on sounds much better than the first one.

What I love about them is every album has its own atmosphere, and I always get lost in their music very easily.

And since last december I finally know the last studio album I never heard ("The Klaxon"). As always it is just wonderful. Every song enjoyable in its own way.