Angelo De Augustine
Swim Inside the Moon

by robin EMERITUS
December 9th, 2017 | 17 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: short blurb just bc i want people to listen to this record

I’ve listened to this every day since I first heard it and don’t hate it yet. It’s here for the season -- blankets and this album. Released, quite appropriately, on Sufjan’s label, it feels like an aesthetic companion to Carrie & Lowell, offering the same burrowed and cosmically altered folk songs. Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Iron & Wine -- that’s all I can really offer about this record in terms of description and comparison, but there’s something special in it that makes me want to enfranchise it. I want to pay it back for the comforts it’s done me over the months gone.

Angelo de Augustine whispers, uses acoustic guitars and plays the piano. Little more. There's one moment, on “More Than You Thought to Use”, where a keyboard offers a little space rock oscillation, but that’s the record’s biggest transgression -- the ground below his feet is restored immediately on the song that follows. That song, “Crazy, Stoned and Gone”, is perhaps the year’s warmest music: Augustine’s hushed voice fills the song with subliminal texture, sounding like air condensing against a window up against winter. His melodies are tiny and perfect, instilling me with the feeling that whenever they were made, they were made-up.

It’s a lovely and simple record: I’ve avoided plenty of frosty days with it and I’d like to avoid a few more with it before 2017 ends. Augustine’s music is lovely and lonely, but it also sounds empathetic: from its obscure corner of the year, it reaches out.

Jessica Pratt Quiet SignsMatt Douglas Affirmation (with Discomfort)
Kacey Musgraves Golden HourJeff Rosenstock Worry.
Okkervil River AwayOren Ambarchi, Kassel Jaeger, James Rushford Pale Calling

Tomb

December 9th 2017

btw this is actually called swim inside the moon, not that it matters, but i don't remember how to edit

luci
December 9th 2017

short comment just bc it's a robin review

JohnnyOnTheSpot

fixed
also, can emeritusessses embed tracks in their reviews?
here's the BC ftwc: https://angelodeaugustine.bandcamp.com/album/swim-inside-the-moon

thanks babe

ramon.
December 9th 2017

m/ as fuck, love this lil ditty. fun review dude

December 9th 2017

easily cracks my top 5 for the year. cheers for shedding some light on this one.

solongatlast
December 9th 2017

Yeah this needed a review. For me it was more of a fall thing but I should give it a try again now that snow has come.

December 9th 2017

Sounds like my kind of indie folk, added to my list of albums to hear

Thx for posting robin

Digging: Telethon - Hard Pop

verdant

niiiiiiiiice

klap
December 9th 2017

wasn't a huge fan of his last one, kind of one note but if u say so

Digging: Hot Chip - A Bath Full of Ecstasy

Winesburgohio
December 10th 2017

omg

thank you. this is a treasure.

Digging: Crossed Out - Fuck Grindcore

December 10th 2017

hell yes

February 26th 2018

this thing just grows and grows on you

Winesburgohio
March 20th 2018

i'm sorry to be saccharine but this still teems and profuses with life and i still find it as indescribably moving as the first day i heard it, and i think it's great that seemingly barren textures yield opulent expanses the more u listen. might 5 lol

March 20th 2018

same

March 21st 2018

Yeah, this little thing has a pulse. Makes me happy.

foxblood
July 5th 2018

Idk what this is but the album cover is delicious.