Lights
Skin and Earth

by TundraL5Z USER (11 Reviews)
November 29th, 2017 | 106 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Lights demonstrates once again why she is one of the most sensational, yet underrated voices in pop

Upon release of this record, and the first single Giants, there was a lot of mixed thoughts on it with a large portion saying it is too overblown and overproduced. I understand this criticism, although i have to disagree with it, the song was quite a good lead off single for the album, the slow mellow verses paired with the explosive chorus forms an excellent blend that you cant help but dance, at least a little to. Also i'm not American, but i'm pretty sure it tackles a topic that is very relevant at the moment no" i digress.

The single showed off the vibe of what the whole album will more or less have to offer, and I for one love how this album sounds, and i think it is one of the best pop albums of the year. However the album is not without its faults, for instance, the first half of the record is kind of underwhelming compared to the second half, apposed to a couple exceptions such as Skydiving, Savage, New Fears.

Skydiving is a great way to start off the record, super fun, catchy melody. Although i do say that the first is the weaker half, Lights still shows off her incredible vocal ability on every track. I think Until the Light is probably the worst track on the album, just because of the fact that it is kind of forgettable and the lyrics have a little to be desired.

Where i think the album starts to really find its stride is on the track We Were Here and onward to the final track Almost Had Me. It goes on quite the winning streak, and reminds me a lot of her previous records in this way. The best of the bunch to me are Kicks, Moonshine and Magnetic Field, although all of the songs in this string are fantastic pop.

Kicks and Moonshine are just banger certified, once again fun and infectious jams, Magnetic Field however is the slowest track on the album, and my personal favorite track on the album, possible because its the track that sounds most like Little Machine. This song features one of her best vocal performances to date, the songs production is simply fantastic, and the lyrics are phenomenal, her sensational high notes never fail to give chills down my spine. I think the Interlude was a good way to separate the anthem that is Moonshine, and this very slow jam.

Every time i listen to this album, i have a blast, but also feel bad that this album doesn't get the recognition it deserves, because it is a highlight pop album of 2017. I love how she changes up her image on every record more or less, with the red hair and the comic that works in tandem with this record, (despite not having read it) it keeps every new release pretty fresh, and an event of sorts. Although the album narrowly misses the mark of the fantastic electronic pop album that was Little Machines, give it a listen, it is worth your time.

David Maxim Micic ECOSithu Aye Homebound
Arch Echo Arch EchoWide Eyes Paradoxica
Polyphia New Levels New DevilsErra Neon
3.3

Is fixed, magic

Digging: Shadow of Intent - Melancholy

November 29th 2017

"Also i'm not American, but i'm pretty sure it tackles a topic that is very relevant at the moment no" i digress."

neither is Lights, but whatevs.

pop album of the year for me.

November 29th 2017

I liked Siberbia but haven't heard anything since

November 29th 2017

I wasnt implying that she was American, although i can see how that sentence can come off that way

Divaman
November 29th 2017

I was disappointed in the album. I thought it was a step backwards from last year's Midnight Machines album, although that might be because I prefer the folky Lights to the poppy Lights.

Digging: Barrie - Happy To Be Here

November 29th 2017

Lights is a guilty pleasure for me. This album suffers from too many cooks in the kitchen as far as production goes. Wayyyyy too many attempts at different pop tropes.

November 29th 2017

why is this a guilty pleasure? just like what you like man, who the hell cares?

November 29th 2017

you apparently, since it's not allowed to be a guilty pleasure

November 29th 2017

I get that, but anything that has the Lights flair, whether it be straight pop or more grimy and industrial stuff i always seem to love it

Snake.

did not dig this tbh

November 29th 2017

"you apparently, since it's not allowed to be a guilty pleasure"

i think you're missing the point. WHY is this a guilty pleasure, why can't you just enjoy it?

SteakByrnes
November 29th 2017

Guilty pleasures are for the weak

Digging: Windwaker - Empire

November 29th 2017

"WHY is this a guilty pleasure, why can't you just enjoy it?"

because there are a tonne of flaws with this album that I am well aware of and would generally rip into for pretty much any other album that was guilty of them, but I enjoy this regardless, hence it's a guilty pleasure

Dewinged
November 29th 2017

Good review Tundra, have a pos.

I didn't enjoy the album though, just not my thing.

Digging: Tropical Fuck Storm - Braindrops

November 30th 2017

I think I like this about as much as Little Machines..

Ranking:

Little Machines = Skin&Earth

Siberia (still love this to death, but it's grown off me. and the rapping parts are a big con for me)

The Listening

her acoustic ep's are great, but i don't much care enough about them to rank them or even listen to them in any regular fashion.

brandontaylor
November 30th 2017

this was pretty generic and disappointing. her voice and charm are still there, but the production was a lot less interesting than each of her previous albums. siberia is still her peak.

November 30th 2017

I have to agree on the rapping in Siberia, became really dated, real fast, her acoustic albums are phenomenal, ive liked all of them thus far

theacademy
November 30th 2017

I had fun with some of this album when i heard it played live but it's now just a foregone conclusion that I'm going to wait for the acoustic and enjoy that much more.

Then why did you 5 it lol