Morrissey
Low In High School

2.0
poor

by Arche USER (86 Reviews)
November 26th, 2017 | 41 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Indie's most outspoken celebrity drops an uninspiring dud with 'Low in High School'.

Low In High School seems to be yet another nail in the already well-secured coffin of Morrissey’s lyrical aptitude. Never one without intention, the former Smiths frontman jumps between anti-Americanism (‘The Girl From Tel Aviv Who Wouldn’t Kneel’), popular anti-establishment sentiment (‘My Love, I’d Do Anything For You’), anti-war (‘I Bury The Living’) and other tried and tested anti-‘s that have cemented themselves in the heart of the politicised artist over the years; the problem is, it’s either too on-the-nose or too stilted to create the desired rousing effect. Even worse are tracks like ‘In Your Lap’ and ‘When You Open Your Legs’, which sound like they were put together in 10 minutes, such is the lazy combination of teenage-activist slogans and throwaway one liners that they comprise of. Could I do better" Probably not, but that’s why I’m here writing this, instead of ham-fisted observations and tirades about the modern world.

There are, admittedly, a few moments where Low In High School is at least somewhat enjoyable. “I Bury The Living”, a 7-minute piece attacking the culpability of military personnel is, while hardly immune from the lyrical malady (“Give me an order, I’ll blow up a border // Give me an order, I’ll blow up your daughter” springs eagerly to mind), one of the few cuts here with some appreciable grit left in its dramatic, theatrical make-up. “Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up on the Stage” feels like a ruby in a slagheap, as a focussed rock number with just enough catchiness and bombast to make its Brexit-centric storyline palatable. “Home Is a Question Mark” feels like a highlight, simply because one doesn’t feel obliged to roll their eyes every 20 seconds due to some off-the-cuff remark about the state; however, it only feels so because it’s so singularly uninteresting, a standard power ballad that’s so frustratingly safe in every way.

Indeed, it’s this issue of safety, most obvious in “Home Is A Question Mark” but apparent in almost every single track, which is the saddest part of Low In High School. The dodgy lyrical content hardly helps, but it’s a forgivable sin – Lord knows how many examples of that have sprung up through the years. The crux is, for all the youthful posturing and his trademark antagonistic slant, Morrissey sounds like he’s 58, and seems to be content with releasing what so many of bygone fame have released before – defanged, intangibly softened spectres of their previous selves, set by predictable composition, uninspiring vocal backing and a growing sense of insincerity. Low In High School is, perhaps worse than anything, insipid. Please, please stop Morrissey, before Radio 2 makes your next offering ‘album of the week.’

Asthma Castle Mount CrushmoreSnail's House Snö
The Body O God who avenges, shine forth. Rise up, Judge ofJohn Prine John Prine
IDYLLS The BarnSchwefelgelb Den Umgekehrten Atem
2.4

November 26th 2017

Well, there it is. 82 reviews in, and my first sub-2.5. This is really, royally naff. Any comments, suggestions (I know about the speech marks after 'Could I do better', but for some reason they won't budge), and whathaveyou as always welcomed :]

"my first sub-2.5"

you gotta pump those numbers up

Digging: Pedigree - New Freak

November 26th 2017

Certainly do! Problem is, it means listening to stuff that's really not all that great, enough that I can write something on it. Such is life.

clavier
November 26th 2017

What a pleasure to read - maybe the most gentlemanly incisive teardown I've seen, haha

Digging: Feed Me Jack - Ultra Ego

EvoHavok
November 26th 2017

Oh, a negative Aaron review happened!
"which that sound" - pick one

Digging: Children of Bodom - Hexed

Aberf

-Aaron

-Negative Reviews

Choose one..

negative reviews

zakalwe
November 26th 2017

I’ve put me flouncy white shirt on, unbuttoned it. *Upturned palm to brow, melodramatic swoon* Nuuuuuhhhhhhhhhooooooooo maaaaaaammmmmaaaaaaa. Album is great.

Digging: OLD - Formula

Prettyplease
November 26th 2017

I'll listen to any Morrissey album now, to show my respect for his outspokenness on political correctness.

butcherboy
November 26th 2017

someone cram a sirloin steak in this old twat's mouth so he stops singing..

20120 Comments

where's compostcompote when we need him?

Jasdevi087
November 26th 2017

genuinely embarrassed to admit I didn't hate this

Thanks for the spot Evo, fixed :]

FullOfSounds
November 26th 2017

keep getting ads for this on spotify and it sounds terrible

20120 Comments

Sounds: AdBlock, thy savior.

ScuroFantasma

Great review Aaron (:

However on the second paragraph, 4th line down, 13 words across you're missing the word "of" after "one". And you dare call yourself a contributing reviewer. For shame!

;)

Digging: Orville Peck - Pony

November 26th 2017

dude low in HIGH school, whoaaaa....

Digging: Avey Tare - Cows On Hourglass Pond

Sinternet
November 26th 2017

this man hasn't been good in over a decade

November 26th 2017

kinda flabbergasted this is the same guy who did You are the Quarry and Vauxhall and I.

a bit caught up in his own overly inflated ego, now it seems

November 26th 2017

hell, even World Peace was a nice album for what it's worth