Blood on the Dance Floor
Kawaii Monster

1.0
awful

by Dalton DuBois USER (9 Reviews)
November 25th, 2017 | 184 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hell is what you make of it… in an 8-bit, drug induced coma

Enter the tumultuous world of Blood on the Dance Floor; without delving too deeply into their colorful tapestry of life experiences, to say they’ve found themselves at the centerfold of controversy is saying something similar to a paraphrased line from the completely memorable, and of course witty Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice, “Crime wave in Gotham! In other news; water, wet.” After an unexpected line-up change following additional abuse allegations, 'Dahvie Vanity' and his new bandmate / dominatrix / girlfriend 'Fallon Vendetta' have put forth the band’s ninth full length album ‘Kawaii Monster’. How does it hold up" Well, if I said it held up well, God will have truly abandoned me as a lost cause after all.

The duo claimed it would be a return to roots album, honing in on the non-serious, sexually fueled party atmosphere of the first three albums ‘Let’s Start a Riot’, ‘It’s Hard to Be a Diamond’, and ‘Epic’ saying that they wanted to make an album that’s fun, silly, and catchy to usher in a new era for the band. While it definitely returned to the same stylings as Dahvie’s original work, it somehow manages to sound even cheaper and thinly veiled than before, while at the same time cramming in ‘sequel’ songs to the band’s most popular works in an attempt to reclaim a fanbase that’s either grown up or followed Jayy Von Monroe when he left the duo. “Yo Ho 2” being a perfect example of the sheer decline of the even the most ‘whimsical’ of their songs; while the original “Yo Ho” had booming 808s, entertainingly crass lyrics, and moderately charismatic, well produced vocal performances, the sequel almost completely lacks anything close to what would be considered a bassline, has a noticeable downgrade in the lyrical quality (which is actually impressive given the original material), and sounds like it was produced in an older version of Garage Band. Not a single song on this album has a catchy beat, or shimmering synth hook; with the exception of “Ghosting”, the sequel to the band’s most popular song “Sexting”, which has an acceptably fun chorus due to the duo being drenched in so much auto-tune, that if said vocoders were water, we’d be at the bottom of the Nile by now. Repressed trance beats, basic FL studio loops, and randomly placed acoustic twangs litter the majority of the album with songs that all try to have an individual identity, but are so basic in composition that you can barely tell the difference between most of them.

What’s truly astounding is how Dahvie Vanity managed to find a new partner who’s an even less gifted vocalist than he is. Fallon Vendetta cannot hold a tune to save her life, and her flow is actually shakier than Dahvie’s is. Her shrill, nasally one-octave performances are even worse than the rapping, considering that after two seconds of holding any note out of her base range, she flatlines into a weird moan-like rasp that’s reminiscent of when that hammered 58-year-old soccer mom tried out for American Idol back in the 2000's.

In short, is there anything here worth a mention" If you get drunk enough I suppose “Ghosting” will keep you occupied for a good four minutes, but other than that this is an absolute regression of the worst kind. Hopefully due to this album being unable to chart to save its life (being the first album from them not to chart since their debut), they’ll hang up the towel.

Black Veil Brides ValemessFX A Step Back
BryanStars Picture PerfectThe Salem Ritual Parasitic Entity
Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! Cum OnAsking Alexandria Asking Alexandria
awful

"Six Feet Under" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5b0Ek_TWQk

Well, I'm reviewing again.

Digging: Black Veil Brides - Vale

Spacesh1p

Digging: Inculcator - Void Abecedary

Shamus248
November 25th 2017

these talentless fucks are a caricature of themselves at this point. they need to stop

parksungjoon
November 25th 2017

so is this "scene" still alive?

sincerely thought it died off some 3-4 years ago

BlackwaterPork

Masterpiece

Digging: Summoning - Oath Bound

November 25th 2017

@Park: No, Crunkcore / Shock Pop is pretty much dead now. Blood on the Dance Floor were the last ones keeping it alive, and as soon as Jayy left their fanbase disappeared. BrokeNCYDE and BOTDF are now getting average around 5 k views a video, and the others have completely dropped off the planet, or have found success in other genres.

Shamus248
November 25th 2017

"she flatlines into a weird moan-like rasp that’s reminiscent of when that hammered 58-year-old soccer mom tried out for American Idol back in the 2000's."

you earned this pos today, friend (:

@Shamus: Thanks fam =]

November 25th 2017

Lmao as if their older stuff is any better than this shite

November 25th 2017

@Mayhem: "Call Me Master" is my shit yo, catchy as hell. Then again, that song was only as good as it was because Jayy's vocals rule pretty hard.

November 25th 2017

I mean if you (SOMEHOW) enjoy(ed) this band, more power to you dude, you're entitled to your opinion.

November 25th 2017

@Mayhem: On my old account I actually reviewed their album Bad Blood at a 3.5 - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/72586/Blood-on-the-Dance-Floor-Bad-Blood/

November 25th 2017

ide wanna laugh cause I'll feel like a dick so

*polite applause*

November 25th 2017

Hey, the review was praised pretty highly (13 out of 13 pos's as of this comment and a lot of supportive feedback), so I feel I backed up my points well.

November 25th 2017

Yeah I read it it's a good review no problems there I was talking about your taste xD

November 25th 2017

Ah, well people have been talking about my taste on here for nearly a decade so I'm not too surprised man

November 25th 2017

I remember I used to lurk this site back in the day when people would collectively circle jerk about your taste back when you had your old acc; I would laugh so hard.

Ahh, good times.

November 25th 2017

I kinda miss the collective circlejerks, but I also appreciate that Sputnik's slowed down a fair bit since then.

parksungjoon
November 25th 2017

mayhem is this your first account? i dont seem to remember you

Haha I think I've been asked that like 10 times so far till now xD