Teen Daze
Themes for a New Earth

by SowingSeason STAFF
November 24th, 2017 | 22 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A mesmerizing second chapter in a beautiful year of music from Teen Daze.

Bookending the year with their LP-pair Themes for…, Teen Daze have offered us two gorgeous perspectives: February’s Dying Earth, and now November’s New Earth. Thematically, the British Columbian project - serving as Jamison Isaak’s stage name - could have done a lot more to offer distinction, as both installments feel like trust falls into puffy clouds of beautiful electro-folk ambience. There was nothing foreboding enough about Dying Earth to provide contrast to Isaak’s latest tranquil unveiling, aside perhaps from the subtle detail that New Earth completely foregoes vocals, taking the gentle atmosphere of its predecessor and making it even more humble and serene. While S. Carey and others admittedly lent an added dimension of depth to Dying Earth, New Earth feels even more liberated with its unshackling of verbal confines – like a post-human Earth dominated by the forces and sounds of nature.

Somewhere between the pastoral winters of Horse Feathers’ House With No Home and the romantic summer evenings of Iron & Wine’s The Shepherd’s Dog exists this cozy little instrumental piece, a musical distillation of spring or autumn that blends various elements of dream-pop, indie-folk, and chillwave. Themes for a New Earth is comprised of beautiful melodies and intricate layering designed to transport you; a goal commonly achieved via stunners such as the immersively warm ‘Kilika’ and the echoed, fading ambience of forlorn moments like ‘Prophets.’ Dropping the featured acts that were randomly sprinkled throughout Themes for Dying Earth (S. Carey, Nadia Hulett, Dustin Wong, Sound of Ceres, Jon Anderson) has seemingly allowed Isaak much more room to operate, as New Earth somehow feels more intimate and expansive simultaneously. Shimmering keys and entrancing synths swirl about this album, offering an entire world – this New Earth – to get lost in. It’s dazzling but modest, and at all times a beautiful record to listen to.

Albums like Themes for a New Earth actually are not uncommon, as just about every indie-folk or ambient artist has tried his or her hand at the “instrumental nature-wave” approach. However, it’s rarely executed with such a high level of competency and creativity that the piece feels both immediately digestible yet outward-stretching in such a way that demands repeated listens. New Earth possesses an enormous array of pristine imagery, the likes of which can only be filled in by your imagination as you allow the music to envelop your senses. It may take you to the wave-crashing shoreline of the album’s artwork, or to starry nights overlooking the city skyline. Or perhaps it’s far more unassuming than that, like raindrops rolling down your apartment window or seeing your own breath on a freezing morning before school. It’s whatever you make it. It’s limitless, and that makes it new every time.

Belle and Sebastian How To Solve Our Human Problems Pt. 1Sufjan Stevens The Greatest Gift
St. Vincent MASSEDUCTIONManchester Orchestra A Black Mile to the Surface
Circa Survive The AmuletThe Killers Wonderful Wonderful

Themes For Dying Earth

November 24th 2017

This came out last week. If you remember, Teen Daze released Themes for Dying Earth back in February. I had no idea it was going to be some kind of double album, but I'm glad I stumbled upon this. It's even better than the first installment.

You can hear the whole thing here. Enjoy:

Digging: Belle and Sebastian - How To Solve Our Human Problems Pt. 1

November 24th 2017

Yeah. This sounds great so far. Also sexy review.

Digging: CZARFACE - Every Hero Needs a Villain

kingdedethefifth
November 25th 2017

Lovely review, not so lovely av.
Sounds like something I would enjoy, will check.

November 25th 2017

Thanks Balls, Kingdede. Let me know what you guys think. It's probably my favorite ambient album of the year.

ps: it's hard to replace a brand new-related avatar, but I guess I'll settle for the old reliable mwY tree

November 26th 2017

that song you posted is sublime

sounds like something i'd dig

November 26th 2017

Thanks Gyro. You can stream the entire thing on the soundcloud link in my first post.

Captain Civic
November 26th 2017

Fantastic, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I really enjoyed Dying Earth so glad to hear this is great too.

Pho3nix
November 27th 2017

This seems highly interesting to me, though I think I'll check out 'Themes for Dying Earth' first!

November 27th 2017

Thanks everyone. It's certainly a pretty record and a nice piece to let play with headphones on or while in the car going to and from work/school. Just very relaxing.

budgie

teen daze rulez

zaruyache
November 27th 2017

sounds intriguing maybe gonna cheq

budgie
November 27th 2017

check the four more years EP

Pho3nix
November 27th 2017

Yeah this was pretty fucking good

Conmaniac

20108 Comments

excited to peep this, if it's as good as their last output. nice rev as always Sowing

RadicalEd
November 28th 2017

This is a pretty nice and chill album. Gives me some feelz for whatever reason.

Digging: Swarms - Black Chapel Sun

BrushedRed
November 28th 2017

Ehh pretty equal in quality to the first album this year. Not his best work. Morning World and Inner Mansions still the best.

DrummerKrullebol
November 29th 2017

Lovely, well-written review on one of my favourite releases this year!

Stereochrome1
November 29th 2017

I really thought this was The Doobie Brother's "Livin' On the Fault Line" album cover for a second.

Conmaniac
December 1st 2017

20108 Comments

albums like a breeze...

ShadowRemains
December 2nd 2017

these dudes from my hometown