Electric Wizard
Wizard Bloody Wizard

by Robert Davis CONTRIBUTOR (261 Reviews)
November 16th, 2017 | 43 replies

Release Date: 2017 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Boredom bloody boredom.

As a title, Wizard Bloody Wizard sure makes it obvious. I mean, even in various interviews regarding Electric Wizard's latest album, Jus Oborn simply laughs off the melodrama of social media when everybody reacted to a name so closely related to arguably the band's strongest influence. Yet for all the ridicule the band have experienced over the years, Oborn and his bandmates seem to have shrugged off any notion that Electric Wizard are becoming a shadow of their former selves, not once but many times as the constant comparisons to Sabbath inevitably come pouring out.

Until now at least.

No beating about the bush, Wizard Bloody Wizard gives you the impression of a young band trying to ape Electric Wizard trying to ape Black Sabbath. Sort of what Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats would sound like if their sound was even more lo-fi and indie and their songs were three times longer than usual. In recent interviews, Oborn admitted that the recording for Wizard Bloody Wizard took place in a cabin practically in the middle of nowhere. More specifically, a basement where numerous jam sessions took place and it eventually culminated in a forty-plus minute record which, rather than presenting itself as a B-sides and oddities collection, was to be the new Electric Wizard release. You can sense the severe lack of inspiration from the get-go here. Oborn's nasally, one-dimensional vocal delivery plants itself all over opener "See You in Hell", which for some reason was chosen to features prominently on an EP earlier this year. The guitar work, whilst loud and in your face at all times, ultimately buries bass and drum work until halfway through when the rhythm section strangely calms down for a half-hearted jam session. These are forgivable in an Electric Wizard album. The impression that the band have seemingly forgotten what made them stand out from the crowd over a decade ago is not.

The nitty gritty of Wizard Bloody Wizard is how it makes its listener consider asking "Why am I here and why is this album rotating on my record player"". At no point should a doom metal album make you even think of posing such a question. Yet with all the respect garnered around Electric Wizard's sometimes grand reputation for being the sub-genre's leading force, somehow Wizard Bloody Wizard became an idea. "Necromania" ramps up the driving force of the guitar work, but what it doesn't do is build on a sound which, at this point in the band's career, has become devoid of emotion or soul. At least the band embark on a more atmospheric slant with "The Reaper", but the fact that it's more of an interlude at three minutes long than any of the other five tracks is deemed unfortunate for anyone who was expecting a return to former glories after the drop in quality with the last few albums. Even the lengthier songs-"Hear the Sirens Scream" and closer "Mourning of the Magicians" respectively-don't bother to add any magic, and in the end you're left with forty odd minutes of Electric Wizard essentially recycling ideas but not necessarily using them. Sure, you can appreciate the moderate level of effort in the solo sections of "Necromania" and "Wicked Caresses", but even here you'll likely be scraping the barrel for any sense of enjoyment.

It's a little painful for me to admit this, but it seems Electric Wizard have take too many steps back, perhaps as far back as their demo days before even the self-titled 1995 debut release was an idea. Wizard Bloody Wizard details a new direction apparently, but what is a direction if it doesn't lead anywhere" Could we really imagine several more albums doing exactly the same thing but not building it into something more exciting" Electric Wizard's latest effort is regressive and uninspired, and only marginally interesting for those who have never heard doom metal before.

Bleeding Through Love Will Kill AllIvar Bjornson and Einar Selvik Hugsjá
Boss Keloid Melted On The InchThy Catafalque Geometria
Lychgate The Contagion in Nine StepsPestilence Hadeon
2.8
good
Chamberbelain CONTRIBUTOR (2.5)
On the comedown....

PsychicChris (3.5)
Wizard Bloody Wizard is thankfully not as bored with itself as Time to Die was, but it still makes f...

thurs (2.5)
Immersing yourself into this album is like dipping your body into some stale, tepid bathwater. Unle...

linguist2011
November 16th 2017

Holy cow, linguist actually reviewed an album with a rating lower than a 3.

c/c welcome as always.

Digging: YOB - Our Raw Heart

insomniac15
November 16th 2017

Great review! I agree with you, the album sounds tired and too close to Sabbath. It's not bad per se, it's average for Electric Wizard. I liked Time to Die, but here they're just on auto pilot.

Digging: YOB - Our Raw Heart

SCREAM!
November 16th 2017

I was hoping this would be good but I'm not surprised to read this based off the single they released... Will give it a spin since I love almost everything else they've done but my hopes aren't high

Sniff
November 16th 2017

review sums up the album really well

Spluger

1911 Comments

Great review man. I'm still happy to check this out tomorrow but I'm not expecting another dopethrone for sure

Digging: Obliteration - Black Death Horizon

tacos n stuff
November 16th 2017

review sums up my thoughts

ill keep it at a 3, but this just felt so lazy

thurs
November 16th 2017

I cannot get over just how bad and annoying Jus sounds on this album. SO nasally and monotone.

BlackwaterPork
November 16th 2017

Damn this band was pretty consistent up until now

Digging: Nine Inch Nails - Ghosts I-IV

linguist2011
November 16th 2017

Hey BlackwaterPork me and you are digging the same album. It's awesome stuff.

Evok
November 16th 2017

So its as lame as the album cover ehh?

Digging: Halogenix - Deep News

trackbytrackreviews
November 16th 2017

“but not ecessarily using them.”

Digging: Pale Waves - All the Things I Never Said

Realm

So yeah this sux

masterofreality
November 16th 2017

I thought it was better than Let Us Prey and Time To Die after one spin, but Electric Wizard is capable of so much more.

Colliiiin
November 16th 2017

Noooooooooo, I was hoping the single would be the worst on this. Will def still give it a listen

osteporosis
November 16th 2017

EW should have just stopped after witchcult today and had an discog with very few flaws. but oh well

Dewinged
November 16th 2017

Great review Linguist. Gonna jam it later but the single wasn't really promising.

And fuck that cover.

Digging: Mourn (SPA) - Sorpresa Familia

gbowles
November 16th 2017

electric wizard is one of the most overrated bands of all time

BigBlob
November 17th 2017

that album cover is atrocious

Digging: Eyehategod - Take as Needed for Pain

Cavalierjan19
November 17th 2017

Never thought these guys are going to realese something bad.
Sure, the two records after Dopethrone are pretty subpar (but still, pretty good), but still they aren't bad.
I guess they might try another record like this and change their direction (EW usually do that after around 2 albums).
I'll still give this a listen, but I don't have high hopes.

PistolPete
November 17th 2017

Can't say I really even loved their last album but still this is disappointing to hear.